TBR Bio Book 1 Section 4 Passage 4 Question 24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daney

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I was studying today and was stumped by an explanation for one of the questions. The answer key says the answer is A, but then says it's B and then explains it as if it is really A. I'm confused!

Here's the question:

Some women experience gestational diabetes during late pregnancy. This is partially due to insulin resistance. Therefore, many obstetricians screen all their patients for abnormal glucose tolerance using an oral glucose tolerance test. An oral load of 50 grams (200kcals) of glucose is given to a fasting person. A blood sample is taken 1 hour later. What changes in glucose and insulin compared to pretest values would be seen in a woman with gestational diabetes?

A. Increased glucose, increased insulin.
B. Increased glucose, decreased insulin.
C. Decreased glucose, decreased insulin.
D. Decreased glucose, increased insulin.

I narrowed down the answers to A and B because the lady was given the 50 grams of glucose after having fasted for a set period of time. Therefore, there should be more glucose in her system because she just ingested some and also because she is "diabetic" and thus can't promote the uptake of glucose into the cells. I thought that because there was more glucose present in her system that there would also be more insulin being produced to attempt to promote the uptake of glucose. I'm not sure if my logic here is correct. If someone could please help me out, I would be extremely grateful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like the book says A and your explanation for your choice is A. What am I missing?

Sorry, I didn't explain this. The answer says, "The correct answer is A, increased glucose, decreased insulin." That's why I'm confused

I can't find that question as section 4 in my book is Reproduction.

It sounds like a typo - "Increased glucose, increased insulin" is correct IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! I was studying today and was stumped by an explanation for one of the questions. The answer key says the answer is A, but then says it's B and then explains it as if it is really A. I'm confused!

Here's the question:

Some women experience gestational diabetes during late pregnancy. This is partially due to insulin resistance. Therefore, many obstetricians screen all their patients for abnormal glucose tolerance using an oral glucose tolerance test. An oral load of 50 grams (200kcals) of glucose is given to a fasting person. A blood sample is taken 1 hour later. What changes in glucose and insulin compared to pretest values would be seen in a woman with gestational diabetes?

I narrowed down the answers to A and B because the lady was given the 50 grams of glucose after having fasted for a set period of time. Therefore, there should be more glucose in her system because she just ingested some and also because she is "diabetic" and thus can't promote the uptake of glucose into the cells. I thought that because there was more glucose present in her system that there would also be more insulin being produced to attempt to promote the uptake of glucose. I'm not sure if my logic here is correct. If someone could please help me out, I would be extremely grateful. Thanks!

A is correct as written.

Here's the question:

Yep your logic is on the right track. You just need to take it a few steps further. Gestational Diabetes is like diabetes type 2 since the insulin receptors are resistant to insulin. So if there is an increase in blood glucose, then insulin is released to lower the levels. However, since the receptors are resistant to insulin, this would prevent glucose uptake. This is why you would see both an increase in glucose and increase in insulin.

A is correct as written.

Yep your logic is on the right track. You just need to take it a few steps further. Gestational Diabetes is like diabetes type 2 since the insulin receptors are resistant to insulin. So if there is an increase in blood glucose, then insulin is released to lower the levels. However, since the receptors are resistant to insulin, this would prevent glucose uptake. This is why you would see both an increase in glucose and increase in insulin.

Yes, they were right there was just a typo in the solutions of their version.