TBR Bio Endo and Immuno Psg IX #60

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erythrocyte666

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Answer is D; I thought it was C.
I thought there was no direct blood transfer from mother to infant? I was thinking antibodies from mother to infant diffuse through placental barrier.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 3.29.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 3.29.31 AM.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 35
I think there usually isn't any direct blood transfer (also, antibodies aren't made yet if this is the first pregnancy), so the most likely point of blood exposure would be during birth, if bleeding occurs. If blood mixing takes place, that's when the mom would make antibodies and subsequent Rh+ babies would be in danger.

I think there usually isn't any direct blood transfer (also, antibodies aren't made yet if this is the first pregnancy), so the most likely point of blood exposure would be during birth, if bleeding occurs. If blood mixing takes place, that's when the mom would make antibodies and subsequent Rh+ babies would be in danger.

ah, so the mother and infant's blood do mix but after birth; and i'm guessing this blood is the blood stuck on newborn babies and hence can still pose immune risk

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. The placenta is an interface of maternal and fetal vessels. When the placenta separates, maternal blood passes into the cord and fetal blood enters the uterus and maternal circulation.