TBR biology passage substitutions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkcwushu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently got my TBR books for physics, gen chem, and ochem. I was trying my best to follow SN2ed guide in terms of study material, but since i got the EK Biology so fast off of amazon, i guess my mind skipped checking off TBR bio on the order sheet.

I've taken the MCAT before and got a 9 on BS, and have taken many FLs before, so i am familiar with how the passages. With that said, would it still be worth my while to try and order TBR bio just for its passages, or would i be okay with getting EK1001 bio? It took quite awhile to receive my TBR order the first time around, and I want to start my mcat study schedule for the January test next monday.

I understand that people say TBR bio is good for its passages, but is a little too detailed and hard, while other people say EK1001 bio isn't hard enough. Are there any other bio passage substitutions out there? What are your thoughts?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Go with TBR Biology.

Why go with a company like EK who hasn't even updated any of their content for the past several years.

Go with the company that update their books every year.

Go with TBR Biology.

Why go with a company like EK who hasn't even updated any of their content for the past several years.

Go with the company that update their books every year.

not just that but you shouldn't be worried about practice material thats "too hard" it'll only help you. i averaged a 10 on BR bio but got a 12 on my real.

not just that but you shouldn't be worried about practice material thats "too hard" it'll only help you. i averaged a 10 on BR bio but got a 12 on my real.

:thumbup: +1

Also... just because you have experience with the MCAT does not mean you actually "know" how the test is going to be. Every year, they change it up for people who get complacent.

If you study all the basics and then realize what the current trend is... you will be in good shape.

I mean... let's face it, they DO focus on several subjects more than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the tips guys! i guess ill go and try to order again, ill just have to to catch up on the first TBR bio passages later while still reading EK bio for content. I dont know if you guys followed SN2ed schedule, or something similar, but how long did it take you guys to finish reading a chapter from the TBR and the first 1/3 of passages usually?

would it still be worth my while to try and order TBR bio just for its passages, or would i be okay with getting EK1001 bio?

Due to the biology path at my university, I knew I had some gaps in my MCAT biology knowledge. If you got a 9 in BS it suggests that you have gaps in your knowledge too.

I did the complete EK series, but chose to double-up on biology review by adding TBR bio. This combination gave me lots of passages on a variety of topics, and I was pleased with the results.

I did the complete EK series, but chose to double-up on biology review by adding TBR bio. This combination gave me lots of passages on a variety of topics, and I was pleased with the results.

When u say EK series and TBR bio, what are you using from each of those resources? Did you use TBR for content review and passages, along with with EK1001 questions?

Whats interesting is that two of my friends who both got 13s on BS, both used EK1001 bio, but no TBR. One used EKbio for content review, while the other used kaplan.

thanks for the tips guys! i guess ill go and try to order again, ill just have to to catch up on the first TBR bio passages later while still reading EK bio for content. I dont know if you guys followed SN2ed schedule, or something similar, but how long did it take you guys to finish reading a chapter from the TBR and the first 1/3 of passages usually?

Well, if you took the course, they give you a schedule to follow.

So this is how it sorta went...

1. Read the chapter(s) before class
2. Lecture (the reading material and class material complement each other)
3. Within the next couple hours after lecture, I reviewed my notes/book and did the Phase I passages (~about 5-7 passages)
4. A week later, I did Phase II and then another week later, I did Phase III questions.

This kept me reviewing the material 3 weeks after the lecture.

Hope this helps.

When u say EK series and TBR bio, what are you using from each of those resources? Did you use TBR for content review and passages, along with with EK1001 questions?

Everything from both sources, except full lengths. I only did AAMC full lengths.

So my complete bio package was:
EK audio osmosis
EK 16 mini mcats
EK Bio
EK 1001 Bio
TBR bio volume 1
TBR bio volume 2

I read every word, did every passage, completed every question. I basically followed the EK 10 week plan available on their website, but on each rest day I did a complete chapter from TBR Bio instead of resting.

Whats interesting is that two of my friends who both got 13s on BS, both used EK1001 bio, but no TBR. One used EKbio for content review, while the other used kaplan.

Well, everyone is different. The reason why TBR is highly recommended is because most people do well after they get a lot of practice. And that's what TBR offers. LOTS of passage-based questions. They have a lot of in-depth answer explanations which EK doesn't really have (surprisingly).

I think the reason why they got 13s was because they already had a very good grasp of Biology and O-chem. But I wouldn't use a certain material JUST BECAUSE your friends did well with them. Again, everyone is different.

Use what works for you.

Im looking through the TBR books i do have right now and im a little confused by the phases thing. First theres the 25 questions (3 passages), then after the explanations theres 52 question (7 passage) <----this is the for the new physics book.

But for the chemistry theres14 straight up passages.

Are the phases the same thing as SN2ed version of doing the passages after reading the chapter? For the physics book, am i supposed to do Passage 1, then passage 1(of the 52 question set), 4, and 7? And for chemistry do i do passages 1,4,7,10?

Anywho, thanks a lot for the tips and advice given so far, its really appreciated!

Actually, this gives me an awesome idea.

I might do the EK 1001 bio as a prestudy. I've been studying from EK to just 'warm up' to studying again and I have the old books. I'm retaking end of march and the Ek1001 will be good to get back in the zone with these. Content isn't dialed in, but it should force me to think and attack passages again.

I'd pick TBR over EK though, like the other posters have said. Just looking through stuff a little, it looks much better organized and more targeted.

Good luck!