TBR CBT 7 Physics question #28

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iliveinmyguitar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Theory1:e+ +e-
arrow.gif
η + γ

Assuming Theory 1 to be correct, the energy of a single photon could be determined from:

A. ∆msystemc2
B. ∆msystemc2 +½(∆mve+2 + ∆mve-2 - ∆mvη2)
C. ∆msystemc2 + ½(mve+2 + mve-2 - mvη2)C is the best answer. There are three types of energy to consider in this nuclear reaction: the kinetic energies of the particles, the energy of any photons, and the energy associated with mass change. If Theory 1 were correct, then the energy of a single photon could be found by taking the initial energy of the system and subtracting the final energy of the system (energy of the neutrino and any energy gained by mass loss), not including the photon. The electron and positron both became energy, so all of their kinetic energy must be a part of the final system. In other words, we do not have to consider ∆mass for the electron, proton, or neutron, given that they are present on only one side of the reaction. The relationship is as follows:

KEe++ KEe- = Ehƒ + KEη - ∆msystemc2

½mve+2 + ½mve-2 = hνγ + ½mvη2 - ∆msystemc2

½mve+2 + ½mve-2 - ½mvη2 + ∆msystemc2 = hνγ

½(mve+2 + mve-2 - mvη2) + ∆msystemc2 = hνγ

which becomes:

hνγ = ∆msystemc2 + ½(mve+2 + mve-2 - mvη2)
The best answer is C.
D.
∆msystemc2 + ½(∆pe+2 + ∆pe-2 + ∆pη2)

What I don't understand is why do we subtract mc2 in the equation and not add??

Members don't see this ad.

Good catch, it should have been added not subtracted. They seem to be defining DeltaM as "mass loss", which is kind of bogus because a Delta is always Final-Initial which means it is a measurement of gain not loss.

When you start finding typos in your review texts, you are near ready to take the MCAT.

Wait but that actually makes sense for it to be negative like that. The change in mass is negative because its being converted to energy. But I feel like thats the wrong way to represent the final energy of the photon. Whatever, it doesnt matter now. Im taking this Bish on Saturday. I hope you're right!