TBR: Conducting Loops in Field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TBR Physics Book II page 137 Example 8.10a

“What is true of a conducting loop that spins within a magnetic field about an axis perpendicular to the magnetic field”?

Answer: It experiences an induced alternating current.

I understand that an alternating current is produced when the loop goes through cycles of entering and then exiting the magnetic field.

My question is: How do you know that the loop is actually entering/exiting the field? The question just says it “spins within a magnetic field” – it never says that part of the time during the spin, the loop is “out” of the magnetic field.

Members don't see this ad.

TBR Physics Book II page 137 Example 8.10a

“What is true of a conducting loop that spins within a magnetic field about an axis perpendicular to the magnetic field”?

Answer: It experiences an induced alternating current.

I understand that an alternating current is produced when the loop goes through cycles of entering and then exiting the magnetic field.

My question is: How do you know that the loop is actually entering/exiting the field? The question just says it “spins within a magnetic field” – it never says that part of the time during the spin, the loop is “out” of the magnetic field.

yeah the book does not explain it, but here is a link to a video from khan academy that does.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/electricity-and-magnetism/v/magnetism-9--electric-motors

Keep watching 10 and 11, it goes into more detail.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user