TBR Freezing point depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a question regarding some info they wrote in chapter 7.

"When salt is added to the surface of an ice cube, the water molecules on the surface of the lattice are attracted to the salt, and thus can be removed from the lattice (which is melting the ice). This is an exothermic process, so additional energy is released to melt he ice further. The melting process is made easier by lowering the melting point."

The first part makes sense but isn't melting (solid to liquid) an endothermic process because energy is required to break the bonds? am i missing something here?

Members don't see this ad.

There not talking about the the melting of the solid there saying that the salt being dissolved into the ice is exothermic which is releasing the energy that is breaking the bonds which then is melting the ice.
At least i think this is what they are trying to get across.

Hey I have a question regarding some info they wrote in chapter 7.

"When salt is added to the surface of an ice cube, the water molecules on the surface of the lattice are attracted to the salt, and thus can be removed from the lattice (which is melting the ice). This is an exothermic process, so additional energy is released to melt he ice further. The melting process is made easier by lowering the melting point."

The first part makes sense but isn't melting (solid to liquid) an endothermic process because energy is required to break the bonds? am i missing something here?

I agree with the explanation above. Its referring to solution formation of the salt with the water molecules releasing energy (exothermic).