TBR Gen Chem Chapter 3 Passage IV Q25

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDreams

Attending Physician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the question tells us that there is a column that has a volume of 1 liter. There are 3 flasks connected to it that are 250mL each so that the total volume of the system is 1.75L.

The closed gas cyclinder is filled with 1atm of H2. Flask 1 is filled with 1atm CS2.
The passage mentions that the initial partial pressure of hydrogen gas is 0.8atm in the 1.25L system. The decrease in partial pressure of hydrogen is double the decrease in the internal pressure based on the stoichiometry of the reaction, which shows the reactivity of the compounds.
The final pressure is the sum of the partial pressures
The reaction is
1cs2 + 4h2 --><-- 1ch4 + 2 h2s

The question asks
How can the partial pressure of CH4 and H2s at equilibrium be determined from the experiment.

I answered at equilibrium the partial pressure of CH4 equals the value for change in the pressure of the system, while the partial pressure of H2S equals twice the pressure of the system.

The answer is at equilibrium, the partial pressure of H2S equals the value for the change in pressure of the system, while the partial pressure of CH4 equals half the value for the change in the pressure of the system

THis is the only one I got wrong and I cant seem to wrap my head around it. Any help in understanding would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.