TBR Gen Chem, Chapter 7, Passage 2, Question 14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyjoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question reads:

g9rmcAf.png

Which of the following conclusions is INVALID for Compound A?

A. Compound A does not sublime at 25°C.
B. Compound A is solid at 250 K, 760 torr.
C. Compound A has a triple point roughly equal to that of water.
D. For Compound A there exists a solid that is less dense than its liquid phase.

Choice D is correct. Compound A does sublime at 25°C (298 K), if at a pressure below 760 torr; Compound A is a solid at 250 K and 760 torr; and Compound A does have a triple point roughly equal to water (the triple point of water is at 0°C). The only uncertainty is the relative densities of the solid and liquid phases. There is no point at which an increase in pressure at constant temperature converts the solid to a liquid. An increase in the pressure increases the density of the material. This makes choice D the best choice.

Why isn't A an invalid statement?

Members don't see this ad.

But doesn't it sublime at 298 kelvin at low pressure?

Sorry I thought I understood this problem but I think I also misunderstood something here. When I did this problem, I thought answer stem was stating that if the pressure were increased or decreased at 25C it won't sublime. Now, I am not sure if this is what the answer choice was saying.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I thought I understood this problem but I think I also misunderstood something here. When I did this problem, I thought answer stem was stating that if the pressure were increased or decreased at 25C it won't sublime. Now, I am not sure if this is what the answer choice was saying.

Do you think it is an error?