TBR Orgo Ch. 2, Passage 1, Q. 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how the answer is C? I thought the more equatorial deuterium the better, but the explanation says "The most stable orientation has as many deuterium atoms with axial orientation possible."

Lost.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• TBR Q.png
    TBR Q.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 40
You want to maximize the C-H bonds in the most stable (equitorial position) since it has the most steric hindrance, and have the deuterium in the axial position. I drew it out and you only have two combos which is either 2 equ. deuterium + 1 axial deuterium, or 2 axial deuterium + 1 equ. deuterium.

Reactions: 1 user
They tell you that the C-D bond is shorter than the C-H bond, which means that D would cause less steric hinderance than H.
The most stable conformation is always the one with the most bulky groups in the equatorial position, so typically we think of H in axial and the other things in equatorial. But here, H is your 'bulky' group, so you want it equatorial and D axial.
Then, as @popopopop said, there are only 2 conformations with all 3 D up, and the most you can have axial is 2 D.

Reactions: 1 user