TBR orgo Ch. 4 Practice exam #11 - UV peak

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plage noire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone elaborate on the explanation for this question? I can't figure out why there would have been a UV peak. The last sentence in the chapter 2 information on UV-vis spectroscopy says "in organic chemistry, a compound must have a pi bond to be UV-visible active." There is no pi bond in the reagents in this passage, so I'm totally lost. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We need to have a conjugated pi system for the compound to be UV-active, I would need to see the question to understand more.. do the reagents react to give a product which has conjugated pi bonds?

There is a UV peak around there for C-Br and C-I bonds.

As the reaction proceeds, this bond is broken - reducing the absorbance.

As an aside I did not know anything about UV spectroscopy, but just read a quick lecture about it after encountering it in chapter 1 of TBR.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is a generic Sn2 reaction with a bromide leaving group and "nucleophile" - primary carbon.

There is a UV peak around there for C-Br and C-I bonds.

As the reaction proceeds, this bond is broken - reducing the absorbance.

As an aside I did not know anything about UV spectroscopy, but just read a quick lecture about it after encountering it in chapter 1 of TBR.
Awesome, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user