TBR vs. Kaplan + EK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Limon y Sal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm preparing for the Jan. 10 MCAT and have been reading a lot about the best resources for studying. I have been using the Kaplan books, but I'm finding that they aren't great- the review seems too brief, and I'm worried about my weaker subjects (chem + physics.) I've read that TBR books are great, but I'm out of the country and it's hard to get things shipped here. Through some contacts, someone could either bring me the books on December 3rd, or I could get them shipped for about $100 by probably somewhere between November 17th and 24th. Do you think that it is a good idea to work with Kaplan and then look through TBR when I get them to go over things I didn't understand from Kaplan or that Kaplan didn't cover? Would it be worth it to pay for them to come earlier or would having them for this purpose for a month be enough time?

I would love any thoughts that anyone has!!!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to have TBR. To be honest the Berkeley review has great practice passages but the content review can be a little too much at times. Use Kaplan and anything you don't understand just use one of the many online MCAT prep videos and content review to supplement. If you are really having difficult you can always pick up a textbook.

Reactions: 1 user
A combination of sources is probably the best approach. I used Kaplan predominantly. For practice tests, make sure you do at minimum a mix of Kaplan and AAMC practice tests. I did not feel that either set of tests on their own were an accurate representation of the test on test day, but when taken together I felt well prepared. My 10 test average (5 Kaplan, 5 AAMC) was the same as my score on test day within half a point.

Reactions: 1 user