TCMC MBS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was the interview blind for you guys too? My interviewer knew nothing about me haha

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any TCMC MBS students around who can tell us more about the program?
I am presently completing. Taking my last finals this week. If I can be of help to anyone interested, I will give you the good, the bad and the ugly! (mostly good!) I have to be honest....................it will be brutal taking so many credits but I think it was worth it. The faculty and admissions staff are wonderful and helpful and will be more than willing to help you! I got three acceptances into DO schools. One waitlist for MD. Two acceptances in the aftermath of the first semester. One in the first month into my Post Bac. The course is expensive. Check out the costs but loans of course are available. Scranton is just an OK city and buy good tires for the potholes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am presently completing. Taking my last finals this week. If I can be of help to anyone interested, I will give you the good, the bad and the ugly! (mostly good!) I have to be honest....................it will be brutal taking so many credits but I think it was worth it. The faculty and admissions staff are wonderful and helpful and will be more than willing to help you! I got three acceptances into DO schools. One waitlist for MD. Two acceptances in the aftermath of the first semester. One in the first month into my Post Bac. The course is expensive. Check out the costs but loans of course are available. Scranton is just an OK city and buy good tires for the potholes.

Thank you so much for your response! I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind answering. Did your classmates also get accepted to medical school? If so, where? Is it manageable to volunteer while doing this program? Is there good public transportation in Scranton? Again, thanks for taking the time to write a reply! :)

Thank you so much for your response! I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind answering. Did your classmates also get accepted to medical school? If so, where? Is it manageable to volunteer while doing this program? Is there good public transportation in Scranton? Again, thanks for taking the time to write a reply! :)

Yes, a number of my classmates did get accepted to medical schools. I am not sure about the numbers. I know one of my friends got accepted to Lecom (Bradenton), I know three got accepted to PCOM. I am not sure what the number was who got accepted into TCMC but I am estimating less than 10. I know from the rumor mill that 6 are declaring acceptances. There were around 60 in my class. Not all applied to med schools last cycle. This coming cycle they are taking a gap year and applying. Some students mentioned that last year's president of the class went to PCOM but can not confirm. Will you have time to volunteer???...................The studying is pretty intense. Maybe it might not be for you but it was for me and you could find the time. There are loads of clubs to get involved in and I wish I could have found the time. Many did but I had to concentrate on my studies. I have no idea about the transportation system. I had a car. I am sure more got into medical schools but I am just not aware of it. Prepare for an intense schedule and of course competitive scoring. They are there for the same reason you are. They have an MCAT review and you will be given an advisor who will help you along the way etc. Scranton is an ok city. Nothing really fancy but the people are great. The admission staff and faculty at the school are awesome and could not have been more helpful. You will probably deal with Jillian in admission and she is very helpful. Message me anytime with anything and I will be more than glad to help you! This college is VERY dedicated to the area and Northeast Pa. Make sure you are aware of that. I am from the area so it was not a problem for me. I want to return to the land of "my family" and practice in Northeast Pennsylvania. Also very big on primary care. Just so you know when going into your interview!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in Scranton right now and my interview is tomorrow. I'm very excited! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in Scranton right now and my interview is tomorrow. I'm very excited! :)
Good luck...................remember.................pledge allegiance to Northeastern Pa. and the surrounding area and have thought of primary care as one of your interests. A lot is happening on campus. Graduation is this weekend etc. Hope you have a good interview. Great people, great admission staff so it should all be good for you! Good luck! (and be prepared for an intense year!)

Kind of surreal. This time last year, I was in your shoes............now I am anticipating August and going to Medical school. It will happen to you also BurntFlower! In spite of me being accepted to other medical schools, I will miss TCMC!

Reactions: 1 users
I just came back from my interview and I have to say I was blown away by the school. I loved it! I only had one interview question which was, "Why do you want to attend the MBS program?" It was extremely laid-back and I talked about my motivations behind wanting to be a doctor, and how living in different countries in South America has shaped my world view and my passion to help underprivileged communities. Anyway, they told us we'd hear back in 3 weeks. :)

Hey all! I just had my interview today and I really enjoyed it! The school is pretty new and all the facilities that we toured looked amazing, really like how everything is set up. The faculty there seems very friendly and they consistently urged how they want all their students to succeed no matter where they end up. We had a student panel with two of the current MBS students as well and they gave a lot of insight into the campus, the school and studies as well. I felt like my interview with one of the faculty members went pretty well. He asked me a few questions and continued to focus on the rigors of this program and if I felt I would be able to succeed in this program/how i knew i would/where do I look to during my times of failure so he seemed pretty into the academics of things. The school seems to excel when it comes to technology. All of the lectures are video-recorded and it makes it a lot easier to study for classes. They incorporate research into the program as well and some of the MBS students are actually putting that research into their AMCAS/AACOMAS apps too. All in all this is definitely my 2nd choice after LECOM's post bac(only because they have direct feed, TCMC doesn't), would love to come here.

I interviewed over the phone on April 9th and didn't hear anything until I desided to email them today and they told me I was accepted!! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I interviewed over the phone on April 9th and didn't hear anything until I desided to email them today and they told me I was accepted!! Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Congratulations! Will you accept the offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Had my interview April 20th. Loved it! Am patiently waiting the decision. Hoping an acceptance is coming soon!

is there a FaceBook page for this program? It would be cool to get to know students before entering this fall!

Congratulations! Will you accept the offer?
Thanks! Well I am going to pay the deposit but I am still waiting for a DO school (I'm on the alternate list) and I have been accepted to other masters so now I have to really sit down and compare each option. But this one is def one of my faves.

Hi guys! I have my interview on wednesday and I'm low on money so do any of you know where I can stay near campus for cheap? Thanks so much!

Does anyone know approximately how many students are accepted into the program? I know silvermecca mentioned something of about 60, but I just want to know if this year will be the same or more.

Accepted! I'm thrilled. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Now to decide, it's a battle b/w TCMC and LECOM Postbac.

Reactions: 1 users
All of you accepted..........congrats....remember, the admissions (Jillian etc) are the very best! Good luck to all of you. Any questions............message me!

TCMC is a masters program and at a MD medical school.... LECOM is only good because it is cheap but you get nothing valuable from it. LECOM is also a lower-ranked DO school.

You mean linkage to their MD program? I'm not sure about guaranteed admission to their MD program afterwards, but this program will definitely prepare you for applying to medical school in general. And MBS students will be taking the same class as first-year TCMC medical students, which I think is awesome!

Absolutely correct! No guarantee but definitely helps you to prepare for applying and being accepted into medical school. If not theirs....... others! The year is going to be brutal but so worth it. It is a means to an end! Great staff!

FYI .............63 graduated from TCMC MBS program on May 10, 2015. 23 of those were from Pennsylvania (approx 3 MBS drop outs for various reasons by end of program)................. 69 MD graduates, 34 from Pennsylvania. I never realized how small in number the MD graduating class was for the year 2015!

hey man! i remember i interviewed with you for TCMC on May 4th. I also got accepted yesterday for TCMC. But Im leaning towards LECOM postbacc right now.

Any information on the 63 MBS graduates and acceptances to TCMC MD program or others?

Any information on the 63 MBS graduates and acceptances to TCMC MD program or others?
We were never given a number of how many in the class were admitted to medical schools at any time. Just rumors and of course disclosures among friends. In my circle of friends, 5 of us were admitted to medical schools. Some of my friends did not apply this cycle. Taking a gap year to shadow, MCAT retakes etc and applying as soon as the 2015-2016 cycle opens. Stats of my inner circle, 4 went DO, one went MD all in Pennsylvania. I want to emphasize that there is no guarantee that you will be admitted to their MD program. They only graduated 69 in their MD program this year. When you begin to understand the logistics of admittance, males/females, instate/out of state etc, that is not a large number at all compared to the amount of applications that they will receive. I firmly believe that this program helped me to get into other medical schools throughout the year. Just my thoughts. The school is very obliging in working with you if you receive interview invites and you have to miss classes. It happened to me throughout the year.

hey man! i remember i interviewed with you for TCMC on May 4th. I also got accepted yesterday for TCMC. But Im leaning towards LECOM postbacc right now.
hey! yea same for me, the odds look better for LECOM in regards to matriculating into med school for the following yr

TCMC is a masters program and at a MD medical school.... LECOM is only good because it is cheap but you get nothing valuable from it. LECOM is also a lower-ranked DO school.

Honestly for me LECOM is the better bet. I spoke to so many students that have completed both programs and although many said that they loved TCMC and felt it had rightfully prepared them for med school they told me they were not matriculating into med school that fall (not just at TCMC, +they are taking a gap year), whereas most of the LECOM pb students were matriculating into LECOM med school that fall (since the post bac guarantees an interview for the med school-and from what I've heard it's a win if you've maintained the 3.0, at least 23 MCAT, and aren't rambunctious during the interview). In the end my goal is medical school with as feww gap years as possible and LECOM looks like the better decision because I have more of a chance than TCMC will provide, (not to bash it of course! I really loved the school and everything I saw/heard) Good luck to all those attending in the fall! :)

Honestly for me LECOM is the better bet. I spoke to so many students that have completed both programs and although many said that they loved TCMC and felt it had rightfully prepared them for med school they told me they were not matriculating into med school that fall (not just at TCMC, +they are taking a gap year), whereas most of the LECOM pb students were matriculating into LECOM med school that fall (since the post bac guarantees an interview for the med school-and from what I've heard it's a win if you've maintained the 3.0, at least 23 MCAT, and aren't rambunctious during the interview). In the end my goal is medical school with as feww gap years as possible and LECOM looks like the better decision because I have more of a chance than TCMC will provide, (not to bash it of course! I really loved the school and everything I saw/heard) Good luck to all those attending in the fall! :)

sent you a personal message!

hey! yea same for me, the odds look better for LECOM in regards to matriculating into med school for the following yr
I would have to agree! I will tell you the good, the bad and the ugly. TCMC is a much smaller medical school. Not advantageous to get caught up with the idea that MD is the only route for you AND only at TCMC , because only a very small percentage of their MBS students will get in. I wanted to be a doctor.............did not matter to me if I was DO or MD. I am not caught up in that discussion IN FACT some of the profs, admission doctors, clinicians etc are DO at TCMC. Chances of getting into the medical program............lecom (Erie alone) is three times the size of TCMC. Three campuses at lecom (Erie, Seton Hill and Bradenton)....................and I think they will have more allegiance to their MBS students because they have MORE seats. This great program at TCMC will definitely prepare you for a medical school. Keep your options open for other medical schools (DO and MD) however! MANY good students in the MBS program will not get in. Just so many seats are available when they only graduate 69 in a year. (2015) Simple and to the point!

Last edited:
Would the TCMC MBS program be considered a true SMP if they stressed during the interview day that the coursework closely mirrored that of the MD 1st year curriculum?

I can only relay what I have learned. The courses will definitely help you in the 1st year of med school.............How could they not? I am going to be given the option of opting out of Histology my first year at Medical school because I already had it. I decided not to do that. I am going to repeat it. Got A's both semester but just want to repeat it in case I forgot any of it! Hey, it could happen with me! The MBS course is going to be intense. An MD 1st semester at the college commented to me that the MBS students have it harder than the first year students. Just be aware..........competition is going to be fierce, they only take a minimum of students into their MD program due to limitations of seats and in my class, only 4.0 gpa's were admitted. Just keep it in your head, TCMC is not the only medical school! It was a means to an end for me. As I stated, the people are great but none of us put all our hopes into one medical school. Every interview I went on asked me what courses I was taking at TCMC. I am sure it was an advantage in my court!

You could ask TCMC and hope they will give you a solid answer. I can only offer what the program did for my stats. I had acceptances after taking the program. (actually while in the program!)

Last edited:
You could ask TCMC and hope they will give you a solid answer. I can only offer what the program did for my stats. I had acceptances after taking the program. (actually while in the program!)
I called and they basically said what you posted above. I really loved the school so I have some thinking to do...especially since I only have one more week to give a response.

The Commonwealth Medical College has requested that you use Application Station - Student Edition to complete a background investigation as part of your enrollment. For MBS, background checks are required?

The Commonwealth Medical College has requested that you use Application Station - Student Edition to complete a background investigation as part of your enrollment. For MBS, background checks are required?
Yes, but not sure if it was application station-Student edition. I just know I had to pay for a background check.

Hey guys, I was accepted to the TCMC MBS and now looking for a roommate. Anyone interested or knows what the best way to find a roommate around the area?

Hey guys, I was accepted to the TCMC MBS and now looking for a roommate. Anyone interested or knows what the best way to find a roommate around the area?
I just graduated from the program. If you do not have luck on SDN, call admissions and they might be able to help you with the above.

I just graduated from the program. If you do not have luck on SDN, call admissions and they might be able to help you with the above.
Having gone there, where would you say are the best places for students to stay. I have also been accepted and looking for housing ideas. I have gone through the material provided by TCMC but many of the apartment complexes are super expensive and far away from campus.

I used craigslist to find a place and it was pretty cheap and the landlords were pretty responsive. Check that out!

What's the name of those brick, apartment style housing units right across the street from the front entrance?

Having gone there, where would you say are the best places for students to stay. I have also been accepted and looking for housing ideas. I have gone through the material provided by TCMC but many of the apartment complexes are super expensive and far away from campus.
I got my lead from Jillian in admissions! She connected me to a great realtor who leases apartments to TCMC students. (Nicole is her first name.) I do not have her number etc anymore but I got my apartment through her. My apartment was about a three minute drive from the college. I did not have a room mate and only had a one bedroom. I am sure Jillian can help you! Try to do this asap of course. There are a number of schools in Scranton with college, med students looking for apartments. I can not remember what some of the apartment complexes names are. I was in a private home converted into apartments. It was fine for me!

P.S. Check the Facebook page for your class. Just saw this there..................Hi All! Two male MD1 students are looking for a 3rd roommate for their rented house at 947 Quincy Ave in Scranton. If you're interested, please contact Jillian in Admissions at [email protected]. She'll put you in touch with the MD1 students.

Jillian is in the know!!!! https://www.facebook.com/TCMCMBSClassof2016/timeline

Last edited:
I would have to disagree with the above. If one is interested in going DO, Lecom would also be a good choice. Bigger school, three campuses and I think because they have more seats to offer, they would definitely have something of value to offer their MBS students. TCMC MBS is a great program. I think it definitely gave me an edge of being accepted this year to med school, however, I would be VERY leery of saying that LECOM MBS program has nothing to offer. Remember, TCMC only graduated 69 in their MD program this year. Some on SDN say that they will graduate 100 in future years as they grow. Just so many in their MBS program will get admitted. Many will not! They will tell you upfront...........however, it will lead to other medical schools looking at your stats etc. Just wanted to clarify. Also.............................some profs, Doctors in admissions and many clinicians at the college are DOs. One of the clinicians in cardiology who works for the college is a graduate of LECOM. Tread lightly, my friend!

Last edited: