Teachers College Columbia vs New School MA Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentintraining

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which program is better to attend if ultimate aim is to eventually pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology? Pros and cons of each? TIA

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know, I would recommend new school, but neither offer solid funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that New School's PhD program (only?) accepts students from their masters program, and I've been under the impression that their program offers solid training in stats and methods and has more opportunities for research participation than CU, but YMMV

Yeah, New School PhD only accepts MA students from New School so that is one advantage...thanks for your thoughts.

I attended Teachers College for my MA and went on to attend a fully funded (scientist-practitioner) clinical psych PhD program. I loved the program and my application very much improved from it, but there are definite serious cons to consider (majority the $$$$$$; difficulty getting involved in a research lab, etc.) Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you wants a MA? I went to the New School several years ago after being accepted to both Teachers College and New School, thinking that it was a good decision bc NS has a clinical PhD program. Well, I ended up going to a completely different school for my PhD in clinical psych after earning my research MA there, and only a few classes transferred. The MA gave me some good research experience but was a total waste of money now that I look back. When I attended it was 1300 dollars per CREDIT and they gave terrible funding. I wish I saved the money and just found a position as an RA or volunteered for a research study and then applied directly to PhD programs.

PS: I just looked and tuition is now 195o per credit, so 5850 per class. They give most MA students a very small scholarship (or they did when I was there) of a few thousand dollars, but nothing that helps too much.

Last edited:
Psychrat-I hear you. However, I want to stay in New York for my PhD and the PhD program at the New School is very appealing to me; and, I feel like once I get into the program I'll work super hard to make a good impression to get into their PhD program. I heard that they have paid TA positions as well. Plus, most PhD programs(psychoanalytic/psychodynamic) in NYC are super expensive anyway....so either way, I'd be shelling out money.

Psychrat-I hear you. However, I want to stay in New York for my PhD and the PhD program at the New School is very appealing to me; and, I feel like once I get into the program I'll work super hard to make a good impression to get into their PhD program. I heard that they have paid TA positions as well. Plus, most PhD programs(psychoanalytic/psychodynamic) in NYC are super expensive anyway....so either way, I'd be shelling out money.

geographic inflexibility & clinical psych don't mesh well together

The TA positions mostly go to PhD students. They do have a paid RA in each lab, which I did for two years. Both TA and RA positions were paid 3000 per year when I was there, which is nothing for NYC. I ended up going to a university based PhD program out west and moving back to the city to be closer to my fiancé once coursework and dissertation proposal were done. I am very happy that I did that and saved so much money. All of my new school friends are drowning in debt from the five years+ of hefty tuition and meager aid. I don't want to rain on your parade and the new school does have some pros, but imo the less debt the better.

I have to agree with most of what other people have said about these programs and whether to even attend them or not. I know several people who attended Columbia's program, and like psychrat, got my MA from NSSR before going to another program for my PhD. It's my opinion that NSSR, even though it is a very competitive and stressful MA program, does offer excellent education and a mini taste of what getting a PhD is actually like (i.e. level of stress, options for research, etc.). However, the competitiveness is pretty ridiculous and the price tag is very high (I believe it is actually one of the most expensive graduate programs in the North East).

Generally speaking, as well, you can tell who the people who are going to get into the PhD program is before they are even accepted (i.e. the superstars who have no life other than to go to school), so it takes a lot of the guess work out for you as a student when you are weighing your options. I knew before my second year was up that I would not apply because the lab I was part of did not offer the kind of mentorship that I wanted and flexibility with dissertation options. At the time I had little research background and wanted to get better training in that and a 4th year essentially told me that he had to teach himself everything and also be a leader for the sub-lab that he was running of MA students to help him with his dissertation.

That being said there are a lot of pros about the program as well. Besides the fact that they do offer scholarships to the MA students (it covers at least 1/3 of tuition), there is also a payment plan for tuition. You can pay over 10 months (I was there at the same time as psychrat and it came to around $1500 a month so now it'd be a lot more) interest free. All the classes are also 4-10pm so if you choose to have a part, or even full time, job you can do that. I lived with my parents in suburbs and worked the entire time I attended so I graduated with less than 9K of student loans. The program that I went to for my PhD took most of the credits and I believe that getting the MA helped me get a job in research which has in turn been a great foundation for me with respect to getting into my PhD program and helped with practicums as well. I was also not a strong candidate coming out of undergrad and needed to boost my CV so for me it was worth it to go, but if you already have a great resume and could swing a PhD on your own it may not be worth it to spend the money and be stressed for something that is not a sure thing.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm finishing up my MA at the New School (in a week!). I worked in psych research at Columbia and am friends with a professor in the Columbia MA/Phd program and know current and former students from that program. I am very happy with my decision to go to the New School. I also got accepted into the Columbia MA program. I got a partial scholarship, but it is quite expensive. Lots of opportunity to engage in research if you are willing to put in the time and effort. They only accept PhD students who complete the MA- but be warned you must have as close to a 4.0 as you can and be productive in a lab if you want to get in. A lot of people go to the Columbia MA program in hopes of getting into the PhD program, but they only take about 4-5 people a year and 1-3 of them are from the MA program. The New School takes 15 people a year from a masters cohort of 40-60 into the clinical program. Hope this is helpful!

Reactions: 1 users