Teaching file with DICOM Files?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoagiedogy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I was just wondering if there are any websites where I could download teaching files that are actually in the form of DICOM files. I have software on my computer that will run them, but I haven't been able to find a good source of practice material. There are plenty of teaching websites out there MyPACS etc.... but I find it much more fun when I can use real PACS software to manipulate the images to study from.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone... Just bumping my own post back up to the top. Surprised I didn't get any replies! Can anyone help out? What I'd like to do is gather a set of cases at a medical student's level for teaching basic radiology. I think it'd be much more fun for medical students if they could actually manipulate images or scroll through them like an actual radiologist does vs just look at a powerpoint or book. Let me know if anyone can help out!

Hey everyone... Just bumping my own post back up to the top. Surprised I didn't get any replies! Can anyone help out? What I'd like to do is gather a set of cases at a medical student's level for teaching basic radiology. I think it'd be much more fun for medical students if they could actually manipulate images or scroll through them like an actual radiologist does vs just look at a powerpoint or book. Let me know if anyone can help out!

OSIRIX is a great free DICOM viewer for Mac OS X which also has some available datasets, but it's not a teaching file by any means.

I think people would be wary of sharing DICOM teaching files due to worries about HIPAA violations. If you can get your hands on some other type of teaching files, there are ways to bundle them back into watered down DICOMs, but it's not always straightforward.

Outside of a hospital computer, don't expect to get easy access to DICOM teaching files.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea... I have OSIRIX... its awesome. And I do have a few of their files which are great. Totally agree with the worries about HIPAA likely being the reason few dicom databases exist. I just figured with the ability to "anonymize" images, some may be out there.

Can you tell me a little more about what you mean by "If you can get your hands on some other type of teaching files, there are ways to bundle them back into watered down DICOMs, but it's not always straightforward."?

Thanks for your post!