Tech Help Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoFarmsNoFood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opinions on MAC vs. PC? I am needing to purchase a new computer before school starts and would like to know current users opinions. Also what GB size is appropriate for an ipad? Want everything I need but do not want to go overboard. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

If you check out the search function, there's quite a few threads already out there discussing computers, for example this one has a bunch of pretty good advice: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/new-computer-for-vet-school.994171/

Oh and for the record, I personally prefer macs. Had a pc my first year in undergrad but it just didn't last me at all, switched the mac, and despite the steep price tag I just really preferred it.

I've used a mac for my entire undergrad experience and love it! I'm hoping this baby makes it to vet school with me. If not, I will definitely purchase a new one. You can get a refurbished on Apple's web page and they are reasonably priced. I bought mine as a refurbished in 2010. <knock on wood> still with me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had this dilemma about a year ago, and ended up going with a Mac (the pro air retina something or other). I love it-- it's very portable, great battery life, great picture quality. It's also great if you have an iPhone or iPod, because you can sync EVERYTHING which comes in handy quite often.

Another Macbook user here, though where are you attending in the fall? Just double check to be sure they don't have a requirement. I would ask current students what they use. I've had no problems using a Mac at Mizzou. I also have an iPad and love it for taking notes.

Reactions: 1 user
I've used a mac for my entire undergrad experience and love it! I'm hoping this baby makes it to vet school with me. If not, I will definitely purchase a new one. You can get a refurbished on Apple's web page and they are reasonably priced. I bought mine as a refurbished in 2010. <knock on wood> still with me. :)

The nice thing is too (unfortunately some of the newer retina models and the air models have soldered components so it's not really an option), but in the normal macbook pro at least it's pretty easy to swap out or upgrade some of the components: battery, RAM, hard drive, etc yourself once it starts to go. Really not that hard and usually way cheaper to do yourself than to get Apple to do it. My mid-2010 macbook pro occasionally has it's hiccups but overall still runs like a champ (bought it new), 4 years later. Even the battery, after four years of use and almost 700 charge cycles on it, is still at ~90% capacity. Four years old and from day 1 it's still been better than the new tablet PC the school gave me lol (OneNote is freakin awesome with the stylus but that's about all it has going for it). Once the hard drive inevitably melts I'm gonna put an SSD in this puppy and up the RAM and keep it alive for as long as possible before I buy a new Mac. I see no reason to go back to using Windows though honestly.

I like macs. I got my laptop in early 2009. It runs fine still, and I plan to use it for vet school until it dies. The battery life isn't the best, but it is over 5 years old now so I can't expect it to work like new. I recently got an ipad for note taking, and I like it because it's way more portable. I'm still figuring out how to use the note-taking apps and still need to get a stylus, but it's been helpful so far.

Contrary opinion here:

I am not feeling the MAC love. I don't find the Macs are all that much better in any way than PCs (and certainly not worth a premium). There are still too many things out there that don't run properly on MAC OS and then you have to go and run your computer as if it were a PC, why not just get the PC to start with.

I have a MAC now and will not get another one. Just hasn't felt like an upgrade to me.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm really quite torn. :/

Admittedly the only reason I'd get a Mac now (after my Vaio kicked it a few months ago and I have a Mac currently on loan from a friend) would be because all my tv is internet based and I like the convenience of airplay vs the HDMI hookup with a wireless keyboard and mouse. That and the much wider variety of accessories.

So...

Probably shouldn't get a Mac I guess....:laugh:

I'm really quite torn. :/

Admittedly the only reason I'd get a Mac now (after my Vaio kicked it a few months ago and I have a Mac currently on loan from a friend) would be because all my tv is internet based and I like the convenience of airplay vs the HDMI hookup with a wireless keyboard and mouse. That and the much wider variety of accessories.

So...

Probably shouldn't get a Mac I guess....:laugh:
I must admit, the mac is the best way to hook a computer to a TV.. very very easy, even for an old man like me! :)

Contrary opinion here:

I am not feeling the MAC love. I don't find the Macs are all that much better in any way than PCs (and certainly not worth a premium). There are still too many things out there that don't run properly on MAC OS and then you have to go and run your computer as if it were a PC, why not just get the PC to start with.

I have a MAC now and will not get another one. Just hasn't felt like an upgrade to me.

Fair enough. There's no denying that it can't quite do as much.

I think one of the biggest things it comes down to is how much computer power you need. Photoshop is probably the most demanding computing I normally do, so I've never really ever encountered any limitation barriers with it, other than OS X newer than Snow Leopard no longer supporting PowerPC software, but that was minor still for my purposes. And maybe I was just unlucky, or maybe they've stepped up their game, but when I used Windows I had a lot of issues with reliability. I've found the Mac OS to be simple, easy to use, and extremely reliable. And it's not hard to set up a partition on the HDD or use an external boot disk if you really want to run a different OS for stuff as well.

The price...yeah you win. But ya know, I haven't spent a dime on this system post the 2k it was to buy it, so I'm really not too bent out of shape about the cost if I can keep it alive for another few years. Already got 4 under the belt, if it can make it 6+ with little to no additional investment I'm cool with that.

I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, just depends on your needs and personal tastes.

It's a no brainer for me. I spent $2000 on 2 PCs within a 3 year span (both junk), and then ~$2000 on a mac that has lasted me 3 years without the slightest hiccup. As far as the operating system, the mac took getting used to but I prefer it now and I like being able to use cloud between macbook, iPad, and iPhone. The biggest thing for me is speed and reliability, both of which my mac has been absolutely spectacular. However, I'm not a fan of how locked up they are. I have to use my husband's ancient PC for torrents because my macbook won't let me download or open anything. I'm sure there's a way around it, but I'm not that computer savvy.

It's a no brainer for me. I spent $2000 on 2 PCs within a 3 year span (both junk), and then ~$2000 on a mac that has lasted me 3 years without the slightest hiccup. As far as the operating system, the mac took getting used to but I prefer it now and I like being able to use cloud between macbook, iPad, and iPhone. The biggest thing for me is speed and reliability, both of which my mac has been absolutely spectacular. However, I'm not a fan of how locked up they are. I have to use my husband's ancient PC for torrents because my macbook won't let me download or open anything. I'm sure there's a way around it, but I'm not that computer savvy.
There are definite ways to download...I would need to see your computer to figure out why you can'tcan't