TED Talk On Making Mistakes in Medicine... Wow!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clairephillips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
that's a good talk. I think that i've always thought to be very cautious whenever a mistake is made because (i've worked in a hospital before) I know that the first reaction is "whose fault was it?" or "did I make a mistake?"

This talk is good because he gets at the idea that one person's mistake is really a system mistake shared by everyone. I would say if anyone ever thinks "good thing that's not me" about a mistake; keep your eyes wide and step lightly because it might be right around the corner. No one is perfect and health care team members need to be able to come together in support of one another and always strive for improvement.

Suggested reading: Atul Gawande's Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance

Members don't see this ad :)
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that book. I'm rereading Mountains Beyond Mountains and reading Virus Hunters of the CDC (I'm a micro nerd), and then I want to read Complications.

I will second that suggestion. Very well-written, and definitely hits many points about mistakes, skills, etc.

In regards to the talk, it's definitely been one of my favorites for years. I often find myself pretty down when I overlook minute details, or completely blank on something that I felt I should have known.

He does an awesome job of making himself and his experience relatable. We all screw up, and I think most of us are absolutely petrified of being seen by others (and ourselves) as bad, or stupid.

I know that when I walked around a hospital and saw the medical students and residents, I definitely felt extremely intimidated. I can't imagine what's it like to feel that way when you are the one with full responsibility.

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that book. I'm rereading Mountains Beyond Mountains and reading Virus Hunters of the CDC (I'm a micro nerd), and then I want to read Complications.
IMO , complications is even better than Better. Lol awkward sentence there. But yah you'll love Complications even more.