Tele-Oncology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloxkittyador

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys think this will change med onc/rad onc practice both at universities and in community? Any current practice designs in place for this yet? Seems like this could be really useful for providing better quality care for rural cancer patients.

-kitty

Members don't see this ad.

You kind of need to define what you mean by "Tele - oncology" before you can hope to get any sort of reasonable answer to your question.

But I talk to other docs about cases throughout my (relatively large and mostly rural) state on a regular basis. This has been happening as long as there have been oncologists and phones.

if you mean by "tele-oncology" that a famous oncologist at some major cancer center pops up through a computer screen and tele-treats a cancer pt at a rural area, I don't think this is happening (to my knowledge at least).
if you mean that your local oncologist calls his colleagues at the big university and asks for an opinion on a case or an open clinical trial or, in the case of a weird-ass tumor, calls a national expert then this is happening everyday as mentioned above and it has been the case for decades.