Tele-psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with tele-psychiatry? In particular, does anyone have experience being a subcontractor for one of these companies that contract with hospitals to provide such a service? The compensation is quite good and really works as a supplement to military income.

In thinking forward, what is to stop someone from doing such a thing full time and working from a home office?

What are the laws regarding psychiatrists and mid-level providers? In particular, what are these laws/regulations as they related to tele-psych?

Members don't see this ad.

All I know is that you have to be licensed in the state you provide services to. You cant cross state boundaries unless your state has some sort of reciprocation agreement with another state.

Actually, call the state boards in your state and the state in which you plan to provide services to. They can help you out immensely in this (I speak from experience in what you're looking at). The next thing is to make absolutely sure that the staff on the other end is competent -- and may want to take a trip to visit them in person if you are so inclined. Telepsych is amazing, and I'm glad to be someone able to do it even if it is part-time. I also go to the site every so often so see patients face-to-face so that rapport isn't an issue. In your case, it sounds like you won't even have to do that. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Used it for two half day med clinics. You are at the mercy of your internet connection, your hardware, and staff with the patients for any vitals measurements, getting lab orders, etc.

Ours works well 90-95% of the time, but that 5-10% means 100% of patients scheduled for those times are not seen. Ask about your pay and how this is handled. Being paid for the time you are available for work is best vs time spent seeing patients.

Is anyone doing this on their own? I would rather not work for some company where I am basically paying a middleman.