Tell Boston med schools my gf lives in Boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F.Underwood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am a CA student and my gf recently got into MIT for graduate school. I am thinking about moving to Boston with her now and am considering telling Harvard, Tufts, and BU about this. Will this help or hinder my admissions chances?

Would it be better if I got a job there and just told them about that and did not mention my gf? At first, I would imagine the answer to my second question would be: yes, that is much more professional sounding. But, on second thought, I think it would help those three schools feel confident that it would motivate me to matriculate if I got in.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ya they aren't going to care about your girlfriend or job being in Boston...

Reactions: 7 users
Im going to have to disagree. When schools offer admission, they certainly take into account whether or not the student they are admitting is likely to actually move all the way to the city their school is in.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im going to have to disagree. When schools offer admission, they certainly take into account whether or not the student they are admitting is likely to actually move all the way to the city their school is in.

If you already know the answer then you already know the answer.

Reactions: 4 users
I've actually read adcoms say that this is a much more sound reason than "I love your school I'm dying to go there!!!!11", but I'd save it for interviews or update letters. I don't think this will tip the scale from not interview to interview, but it might give you a little push if you're already seriously considered.

Hey,

I am a CA student and my gf recently got into MIT for graduate school. I am moving to Boston with her now and am considering telling Harvard, Tufts, and BU about this. Will this help or hinder my admissions chances?
Would it be better if I got a job there and just told them about that and did not mention my gf? At first, I would imagine the answer to my second question would be: yes, that is much more professional sounding. But, on second thought, I think it would help those three schools feel confident that it would motivate me to matriculate if I got in.

Thanks

Tufts or BU may care. Harvard, probably not (can't hurt trying though). I wouldn't send them an interest letter pre-interview, however; it sounds a bit unprofessional, and they probably won't care at that stage, especially if you haven't even been interviewed. Even during the interview, I wouldn't mention it outright unless you get a question like "why are you interested in our school?" - if that's the case, then you can talk about the school's curriculum, living in Boston, and somewhere in there squeeze in your relationship status. The job honestly doesn't matter (though talking about how much you like Boston may), since you will not be working once you are in school. Regardless, your primary focus should be on the school, and not other factors. Once the interview is done, you can then send a letter of intent about your relationship status to any of the Boston schools that gave you an interview (if you get multiple interviews, only send intent letter to one, as having many sent out is highly unprofessional and can get you into trouble; multiple interest letters though should be fine).

Tess beat me to it ;)

Last edited:
Also, not sure about BU and Tufts secondaries, but if there is a question asking you why you are interested in their school (or something like "is there anything else you want to tell us?"), then feel free to include that bit of detail. Again, focus on the school, and maybe include a paragraph on why you want to live in Boston.

Tufts or BU may care. Harvard, probably not...

I'd say none of the Boston schools will care. It might be different if you were applying to a less popular venue where they would wonder whether you would come. But Boston is extremely popular and the kind of town that it's pretty much assumed you have contacts in the area if you are twenty-something, given the number of colleges and graduate programs in the area. Also having a GF isn't meaningful enough to expect much traction. If you can't say fiancé then they won't put much weight on it -- many relationships come and go during the course of medical schooling/training, and to be honest if it's not a permanent longterm relationship, it might end up being more of a distraction and drama than a support system. So I'd leave this out.

Reactions: 4 users
Because Harvard is worried about their acceptances/matriculations ratio...

Reactions: 1 user
I wrote about my partner living in NYC for those schools' secondaries where applicable. For example, I talked about already having a support network in the city, which would mean a smooth adjustment to a new place. SUNY Downstate specifically asks about this kind of stuff on their secondary, so maybe other schools consider it too, even if they don't explicitly ask?

I wouldn't say I want to go to your school BECAUSE my gf lives there, but saying she lives there in applicable secondary questions is probably valid if worded correctly, IMHO. I would try to make sure it comes off as a secondary reason for your interest in that school, for sure. Sort of like a bonus.

Got a girlfriend in the area?

n170496_watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme_large.png

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes a good thing to slip into interview conversation. However, only really gonna be letter-worthy if there's a ring involved.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes a good thing to slip into interview conversation. However, only really gonna be letter-worthy if there's a ring involved.

This, I stopped saying 'boyfriend' and started using 'partner' because girlfriend or boyfriend sounds a little immature to me, and for me does not convey the seriousness of the relationship.

Reactions: 1 users
I talked about already having a support network in the city, which would mean a smooth adjustment to a new place. SUNY Downstate specifically asks about this kind of stuff on their secondary, so maybe other schools consider it too, even if they don't explicitly ask?

I wouldn't say I want to go to your school BECAUSE my gf lives there, but saying she lives there in applicable secondary questions is probably valid if worded correctly, IMHO. I would try to make sure it comes off as a secondary reason for your interest in that school, for sure. Sort of like a bonus.
I like this approach.

There are plenty of people who will move to Africa or Mars for a fully-credited US MD school. Since all of us are special and unique, they can pick other unique people.

There are plenty of people who will move to Africa or Mars for a fully-credited US MD school. Since all of us are special and unique, they can pick other unique people.

OK, but we still have to put SOMETHING in the secondary application essays, even if we are all unique. I don't really see the point of your reply other than to discourage people. If I left everything out of my essays that I thought weren't unique enough, they'd be blank. Obviously people still get interviews even though they are not 100% unique...

I'm in a long distance relationship and I mentioned that during my interview. By attending that school I would be closer to her and talked about how the support would make for a better experience for myself and her. Ended up getting into that school. Did it help? I don't know but I don't think it hurt at all.

OK, but we still have to put SOMETHING in the secondary application essays, even if we are all unique. I don't really see the point of your reply other than to discourage people. If I left everything out of my essays that I thought weren't unique enough, they'd be blank. Obviously people still get interviews even though they are not 100% unique...

And having girlfriend is unique? I wish I visited 50 states and seduced 50 girls.

Because Harvard is worried about their acceptances/matriculations ratio...
Neither are BU or Tufts, just look at their school threads to see how many people are dying to come off the waitlist at either. Boston schools are some of the most popular in the country and Boston is such a hot spot location for people in their 20's and 30's that these schools know they could fill their schools with qualified applicants many times over each year.

Ok go ahead and try it then and let me know how it works out for you. I'm sure these schools are just sitting on their edge of their seats hoping that every last accepted students will actually matriculate each year.

Neither are BU or Tufts, just look at their school threads to see how many people are dying to come off the waitlist at either. Boston schools are some of the most popular in the country and Boston is such a hot spot location for people in their 20's and 30's that these schools know they could fill their schools with qualified applicants many times over each year.

Ok go ahead and try it then and let me know how it works out for you. I'm sure these schools are just sitting on their edge of their seats hoping that every last accepted students will actually matriculate each year.

OK, then why even ask questions in secondaries? Not everyone can put amazing and things down as reasons for wanting to attend every school. I don't think OP or anyone else here expects his girlfriend being in Boston to be the deciding factor, or even to be helpful at all.

OK, then why even ask questions in secondaries? Not everyone can put amazing and things down as reasons for wanting to attend every school. I don't think OP or anyone else here expects his girlfriend being in Boston to be the deciding factor, or even to be helpful at all.
Why put them? To see why people are choosing their school in particular to apply to. If there isn't a good reason they can assume you just picked it off the MSAR due to stats and didn't educate yourself about their school or choose it for any particular reason other than the stats fit. It is useful to see applicants' reasons and to weed out and choose who to give the few slots of interviews to out of the many thousands of applicants.

Plus multiple schools have said these types of questions don't provide much help/insight anyway. Just look at BU's secondary prompt from this past cycle:

Optional Essay
We have found that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. While we no longer require an essay, some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish, use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, addressing any issue you feel is of importance. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this Supplemental Application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS.
For most applicants, no supplementary essay will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

3000 Characters

Why put them? To see why people are choosing their school in particular to apply to. If there isn't a good reason they can assume you just picked it off the MSAR due to stats and didn't educate yourself about their school or choose it for any particular reason other than the stats fit. It is useful to see applicants' reasons and to weed out and choose who to give the few slots of interviews to out of the many thousands of applicants.

I like your school because of X,Y, and the emphasis on Z, as evidenced by your Z-program offered. In addition, because of my many visits to the area to visit my partner, I know that Boston is a very diverse city that will provide a variety of interesting clinical experiences many different patients and groups. My partner and the support system she provides me will also make my transition to a new city seamless and allow for a quick adjustment period during my first year at University ABC.

I like your school because of X,Y, and the emphasis on Z, as evidenced by your Z-program offered. In addition, because of my many visits to the area to visit my partner, I know that Boston is a very diverse city that will provide a variety of interesting clinical experiences many different patients and groups. My partner and the support system she provides me will also make my transition to a new city seamless and allow for a quick adjustment period during my first year at University ABC.
That's fine if prompted for a reason on secondaries, but like I said before, don't expect the fact that you have a gf/bf in that area make a difference on whether or not the school wants to send you an ii. There are literally thousands of other people on their lists that would jump at the opportunity to interview at any of those schools and a good portion that would attend if accepted.

That's fine if prompted for a reason on secondaries, but like I said before, don't expect the fact that you have a gf/bf in that area make a difference on whether or not the school wants to send you an ii. There are literally thousands of other people on their lists that would jump at the opportunity to interview at any of those schools and a good portion that would attend if accepted.
Agreed, pre-interview letters are presumptuous.

Lay off guys, I think the OP is too embarrassed to come back.

As opposed to a significant other, how would mentioning family come into play for a school. Considering I'm not in-state but a lot of my extended family lives in the area.

You're partially right, but they're only desperate for yield when they get into the wait list (read: they are only likely to take into account your likelihood to matriculate when they start getting into their waitlist). Any time before that, you're the desperate one and they hold the power. Anything that makes you seem more desperate should be avoided, as it could be interpreted as obnoxious/presumptuous/insecure. Additionally, Boston schools are pretty national bc a lot of people want to go to Boston after college (and the schools know this), so the "hometown advantage" isn't what it would be in Nebraska.

Here's the bottom line:

Pre-Interview: TERRIBLE idea to mention gf

During Interview: if it comes up, it comes up...

Post-Interview: wait until they make a decision on your app

If you end up on WL: look at this... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mention-significant-other-in-loi.1067652/

PS: I'm more open to believing this kind of thing can help you than most (bc I believe it helped me). However, the more I think about it the more I'm thinking that the Boston schools really won't care. They probably get 100+ updates like that per year bc it's such a big hub of graduate education. That said, if the conditions are right and you feel like a hail mary is your only chance, you might as well put all your cards on the table (next May). Good Luck.

e: if the job is medical-related, then maybe a post-interview update. Most schools don't like pre-interview updates, but if they're open to it, then you could send it

ee: put a ring on it... problem solved!

Last edited:
There's no way it can be taken that seriously. Anyone can lie about having a girlfriend/boyfriend in that medical school's town, and it would be almost impossible to blow your cover.

OP, I know you're telling the truth, but there's many more people that would make up a lie like that to try and get the same advantage. And I'm sure at least some ADCOMs have thought about that.

There's no way it can be taken that seriously. Anyone can lie about having a girlfriend/boyfriend in that medical school's town, and it would be almost impossible to blow your cover.
If you read the thread I linked, that's why the adcoms indicated that if one were to do this, it should be at the end of the interview cycle, and only if you have arguably better options that the schools know about (thus removing any real incentive to lie about it). People can lie about a lot of things, but it's senseless to if you have no incentive to do it.

OP, I know you're telling the truth, but there's many more people that would make up a lie like that to try and get the same advantage. And I'm sure at least some ADCOMs have thought about that.
Honestly why would schools even care if it is truthful? Medical school is a known killer of marriages, not to even mention just normal relationships, why would they accept you so that you can be with your SO and have them close/supporting you if they know that there is a very high chance that you'll end up breaking up anyway?

Thanks everyone :) I realize its not really a big deal now lol. One of my advisors told me otherwise but he is in a different field. I think I will just update schools if I decide to go.

Last edited: