Tell me they can't do this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tesla123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just opened a letter from the University of Michigan (I was accepted a few months ago) and it says that I have not completed coursework required for matriculation this fall. I have already accepted admission and am now concerned that I can't finish the THREE classes they say I am missing. Shouldn't they have sent this information to me when I was accepted? I thought I had all of the requirements. What should I do? :(

Members don't see this ad.

tesla123 said:
I just opened a letter from the University of Michigan (I was accepted a few months ago) and it says that I have not completed coursework required for matriculation this fall. I have already accepted admission and am now concerned that I can't finish the THREE classes they say I am missing. Shouldn't they have sent this information to me when I was accepted? I thought I had all of the requirements. What should I do? :(
summer school sucka!!! ;)

seethrew said:
summer school sucka!!! ;)

:laugh: :laugh: Awww seethrew, that's not nice :p

To the OP: I'm confused. Shouldn't YOU , as an applicant, have already known that you might not have completed all of the required courses?

Just curious..

Members don't see this ad :)
docjolly said:
:laugh: :laugh: Awww seethrew, that's not nice :p

To the OP: I'm confused. Shouldn't YOU , as an applicant, have already known that you might not have completed all of the required courses?

Just curious..

They have these general outlines for the classes they want. I have to take social science courses with an emphasis in behavioral sciences (or so the letter says). I guess I took history instead of sociology. Can I get out of this? Who ever said you need sociology to be a doctor?

as an applicant, you really need to know what courses are required. double-check with them about the specific requirements, and keep in mind you may need to do summer school.

tesla123 said:

That sounds kind of strange in light of the fact that on the secondary, they get us to mark off which classes we've taken to meet their requirements, and I had thought they were pretty stringent about checking up on this stuff before even extending interview invites.

In any case, I would call the office asap to ask what's going on and how this came about...

bidster said:
That sounds kind of strange in light of the fact that on the secondary, they get us to mark off which classes we've taken to meet their requirements, and I had thought they were pretty stringent about checking up on this stuff before even extending interview invites.

Exactly. That is why I was wondering how they neglected to mention this in my acceptance letter. The letter stated that I needed to take social science courses that I was missing. The examples that they listed were sociology and psychology. I am going to call next week but I wanted to plan out how to deal with this situation before registering for summer classes. I have a minor in gender studies so I thought that my social science requirements were taken care of...guess not.

On the bright side, at least you weren't told this two days before classes start. At worst, you're looking at summer school; at best, the school screwed up and you have time to correct it.

A sociology course? I'm sorry, as I know I'm going to offend some people here, but I haven't seen a sociology course that wasn't a waste of time.

different schools have different requirements. some require social science, another i applied to wanted a speech class. certainly there were no "speech" classes at my university.... and i got in to that school --

so the lesson:

1) there is always a little techinical thing when you apply to these places that states that it is "the responsibility of the applicant to complete all the required courses blah blah..."

so legally it is on you and because, when you apply, you basically sign a waiver telling them that they have a right to not let you matriculate until you do all the little things that they require, youre stuck with that and they dont really have a responsibility to let you know any more than they have. though, it seems alittle impolite.

2) however, that said, i know it is sometimes possible to show a school that a class you took called "history" really reflects upon people and/or behaviour. I came up against this a number of times during my application process this year, and what I did was the following -- it has worked in all but one case.

i wrote a letter and included a number of course titles and the descriptions of these courses i took that my university publishes online in the course catalogue. i then gave the school a choice of accepting any, or any combination, of the courses that i presented to them, for the requirement that they have. it certainly helps when the classes taught in the history department are described as focusing on the "cultural, behavioural and psychological aspects of ..... enter your history topic here....."

having gone to a liberal arts college and taken a ton of what i guess people consider "fluffy" classes, i was convinced that i could fulfill anything that was needed by the med schools. this approach has worked for me. perhaps it might be helpful for you.

good luck. it certainly doesnt hurt to try!

3) worst case scenario -- they require stuff you cant get done in time -- perhaps they would let you defer the year while you complete this stuff. that way, at least, you dont suffer through applications again, assuming this is where you want to go.

lynnie

lynnier79 said:
different schools have different requirements. some require social science, another i applied to wanted a speech class. certainly there were no "speech" classes at my university.... and i got in to that school --

Wow, thanks so much for the awesome post! I will go back and try to get the course descriptions. I hope it works.

tesla123 said:
They have these general outlines for the classes they want. I have to take social science courses with an emphasis in behavioral sciences (or so the letter says). I guess I took history instead of sociology. Can I get out of this? Who ever said you need sociology to be a doctor?

If you have to take an intro course or whatever for soc/psych..just clep the courses if that's allowed or just take them during ss. I thought both were easy and highly interesting classes. good luck slick.

wow...that's a weird situation.
well, I guess all you can do now is to take those courses at summer school...
congratulations on getting accepted at UMich...great school

superdavykinz said:
If you have to take an intro course or whatever for soc/psych..just clep the courses if that's allowed or just take them during ss. I thought both were easy and highly interesting classes. good luck slick.

Can you CLEP a course after graduating?