Telling a med school they're your top choice, even though they're not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone do this? If so, do you feel this to be unethical? Interviewers often tell us that we "seem like a great fit" or "hope to see you next year" in hopes that we will rank their schools higher. Sadly, many of us have been disappointed and heartbrokened with a waitlist or rejection even after receiving such a compliment. I personally feel that this is somewhat underhanded of medical schools.

My question is: Is it wrong for us, as applicants, to tell each medical school that they are our first choice in hopes of "leveling the playing field"? Or do two wrongs never make a right?

********************EDIT*******************​

After much consideration, I've come to the conclusion that most of you are right. I'm tired of compromising myself to succeed in this process. Just because a bunch of med schools have taken my money and given nothing back shouldn't make me vengeful. This process has taken a lot out of me as I'm sure it has done to the rest of you. Sometimes a "hold" or "waitlist" notice gets to the best of us, and in our dispair we may make choices that our normal selves would cringe at the thought of. Compromises are necessary in life but my rule has always been to be judicious about how much you give in.

Here's to not letting this God-forsaken journey compromise our integrity.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone do this? If so, do you feel this to be unethical? Interviewers often tell us that we "seem like a great fit" or "hope to see you next year" in hopes that we will rank their schools higher. Sadly, many of us have been disappointed and heartbrokened with a waitlist or rejection even after receiving such a compliment. I personally feel that this is somewhat underhanded of medical schools.

My question is: Is it wrong for us, as applicants, to tell each medical school that they are our first choice in hopes of "leveling the playing field"? Or do two wrongs never make a right?

Is lying unethical? Are you really asking this?

Not really - even if your interviewer loved you - the WHOLE adcomm has to look at your whole file and vote on you. No matter how great your interviewer thought you were he has to convince 10-50 other people. So your interviewers were probably completely honest but then couldn't convince the others you were such a great fit.

I think it would be wrong - but then I think its wrong to lie. If you're ok with lying - go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)

You're comparing "We hope to see you next year" to "You're my top choice"??
The first is a desire, the second is an asserted fact. The condition in the former can be broken by either party... aka your application wasn't good enough, so they can't see you vs your application is good enough, but they still don't want you.
The latter statement can only be broken by you... aka you're not really my top school, but i'm telling you it anyways.

Everybody's lied before. Plus I'm sure that admissions people can look past this because it happens so often.

Ethical questions aside, I've recently wondered whether it would be a good strategy move if I'm a borderline applicant.

If I tell a school that they are my top choice, what are they likely to do with that information. My opinion is that they would use that information in a positive light while evaluation my application (ie: I like the fit, if they like me they should take me...) My friend has the opinion that if I tell them they are my top choice, they can keep me on the back burner that much longer, knowing that the instant they decide to accept me (even if it is mid-june) they will fill a spot.

His opinion feels a little contrived to me.

I thinks it okay to make a little white lie like "you're my first choice"....shucks, nobody quarels when medical schools like Upenn sends a horrible applicant a secondary app (and fee) to submit, knowing that they wouldn't interview them anyway...call it justification...shucks call it lying, but whatever it is, I think many of you are going to see just how much lying (and how unethical you'll think you've become) and how much your values will be altered when it gets down to you being sued for malpractice (something you clearly didnt mean to do) and the only way to keep your liscense is to tell other medical staff " everyone keep quiet about the Johnson incendent last night"......I dont think many of you realize what kinda world you're getting into...in order to even maintain its level of efficiency the medical world lies, and I can guarantee that each and everyone of us experiences this dillema.

Peace

And BTW, I told a couple of my "first choices" they were my first choice, and I do not in the least (esp. after all those damn Mcat, Amcas, and sec fees, not to mention kissin boo-tay for those LORs) feel bad about it...Its called playing the game....I feel kinda bad for all of you wannabe ethical pre-docs; you're gonna realize just how naturally unethical the medical feild is anyways.

But to everyone, dont take me seriously...take care

I would consider saying "you're my top choice" to a program that you know is not your first choice to be unethical.
However, I think it is perfectly fine to make other very positive comments that imply something similar:
I hope I have the chance to work with you in the future (not specifying when in the future)
I think I would be a great fit here because...
What I like a lot about this program that many other programs don't have is...
This program is definitely one of my top choices (usually this is reserved for top 3)
ETC

I would consider saying "you're my top choice" to a program that you know is not your first choice to be unethical.
However, I think it is perfectly fine to make other very positive comments that imply something similar:
I hope I have the chance to work with you in the future (not specifying when in the future)
I think I would be a great fit here because...
What I like a lot about this program that many other programs don't have is...
This program is definitely one of my top choices (usually this is reserved for top 3)
ETC

Good Idea!

I love these flexible pre-med ethics.

Lying is not unethical if you've been lied to.

Cheating is ok because everyone else is doing it and really it's the teacher's fault for making the class too difficult and not doing enough to catch the cheaters.

Or the latest gem, that the medical field is naturally unethical so you must be unethical to succeed.

The funny thing is that there's another thread I saw recently that's all about the moral inferiority of patients who fail to take personal responsibility for their actions. It's been a long time since I took an English class, but I beleive that's what they call irony.

I think sticking with the positives without saying a school is your #1 is a good idea. However, I also think schools should not ask how they rank on your list without expecting many students to BS them.

Why don't you just impress them with your knowledge of their school, and what, particularly, you find so attractive about it?

I love these flexible pre-med ethics.

Lying is not unethical if you've been lied to.

Cheating is ok because everyone else is doing it and really it's the teacher's fault for making the class too difficult and not doing enough to catch the cheaters.

Or the latest gem, that the medical field is naturally unethical so you must be unethical to succeed.

The funny thing is that there's another thread I saw recently that's all about the moral inferiority of patients who fail to take personal responsibility for their actions. It's been a long time since I took an English class, but I beleive that's what they call irony.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is lying unethical? Are you really asking this?

I hate to discourage the other folks, but there really is right and wrong. In an absolute reality. Choose to do what is right. Do not lie. This moral relativism is bullsh**t. And people who believe otherwise are cowards and motivated by self interest above all.

Searun

all's fair in love and med school admissions

My opinion is that med schools take a statement of intent (and that's what "you're my first choice" is) into consideration as a positive when considering your application. They can do this because it is assumed that you are being honest and an offer to you will lead to an acceptance of that offer. If you end up turning down that offer, and others do the same, how long until med schools have to disregard statements of intents to protect their yield? Once that happens it screws the applicants for who school X really is a top choice.

Don't lie. It's bad news and it screws over fellow applicants.

My opinion is that med schools take a statement of intent (and that's what "you're my first choice" is) into consideration as a positive when considering your application. They can do this because it is assumed that you are being honest and an offer to you will lead to an acceptance of that offer. If you end up turning down that offer, and others do the same, how long until med schools have to disregard statements of intents to protect their yield? Once that happens it screws the applicants for who school X really is a top choice.

It's not necessarily a lie. Most applicants would do anything to get into any school. The fact of the matter is that if another school offers a better financial aid package or something happens with a significant other, then things change. If the school takes you for granted and offers no more incentive to you other than the fact that you say you want to go there it seems to me that it was their fault.

We would all be better, yes?

Searun

Whether it is unethical or not, I really don't think it makes much of a difference anyway.

Well if you want you can make it like "you are my first choice if your school is the only one that accepts me" and just leave out the last half and assume they know it. Then ur not lying :)

In regards to this issue what anyone says will likely have little impact upon the opinions of other people, because this question is one that is involved with our underlying fundamental values. This application process, where our dream of becoming a doctor is dangled tenuously before us in webs of uncertainty, is in some ways ugly. It may make us fearful of being our natural, honest self, because most of us are not ideal and harbor the opinions that schools seek some sort of ideal applicant. At the end only you, and maybe another, will be your true judge. Here's to hoping this application process doesn't make you sell another small piece of your soul for a perceived advantage. Especially when the advantage is insignifcant in the scheme of the entirety of your life.

In regards to this issue what anyone says will likely have little impact upon the opinions of other people, because this question is one that is involved with our underlying fundamental values. This application process, where our dream of becoming a doctor is dangled tenuously before us in webs of uncertainty, is in some ways ugly. It may make us fearful of being our natural, honest self, because most of us are not ideal and harbor the opinions that schools seek some sort of ideal applicant. At the end only you, and maybe another, will be your true judge. Here's to hoping this application process doesn't make you sell another small piece of your soul for a perceived advantage. Especially when the advantage is insignifcant in the scheme of the entirety of your life.

:thumbup:
It's interesting to see what this process does to people. I'm happy to report to others that it can indeed be done without sacrificing one's identity or one's morals/ethics.

:thumbup:
It's interesting to see what this process does to people. I'm happy to report to others that it can indeed be done without sacrificing one's identity or one's morals/ethics.

IF your MCAT is high enough. :D

I hate to discourage the other folks, but there really is right and wrong. In an absolute reality. Choose to do what is right. Do not lie. This moral relativism is bullsh**t. And people who believe otherwise are cowards and motivated by self interest above all.

Searun

Mmmm, yeah.... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with your analysis on that one.

bill-lumberg.gif

I agree that moral relativism is teh suck, but it's not quite so simple as how you're portraying it. Deontological statements like "Do not lie" don't do so well when they butt heads with other categorical statements - Kant could never really reconcile what to do in these kinds of situations without making one "absolute" a little less than absolute, which introduces grey into the black and white. Consequentialists would disagree, as would situation ethicists, virtue ethicists, etc. Note that these are all metaethical absolutist positions (who argue vehemently against moral relativism).

As to the statement at hand, I don't know. Part of me asks whether we tell the entire truth on a first date, or in a relationship (for instance, as I discuss with my philosophy students, women never look fat in their jeans, and to protect our fragile male egos, women always tell us the sex was mind-blowing). The jury is out on whether this constitutes a lie - for instance, if this school now represents your best shot at a medical education, it just might be your number one choice, which makes the statement the truth. Just some (non-relative) food for thought. ;)

EDIT:

The irony is that I need to get to bed because I'm *starting* the morality and ethics lecture in a little under nine hours.

Mmmm, yeah.... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with your analysis on that one.

bill-lumberg.gif

I agree that moral relativism is teh suck, but it's not quite so simple as how you're portraying it. Deontological statements like "Do not lie" don't do so well when they butt heads with other categorical statements - Kant could never really reconcile what to do in these kinds of situations without making one "absolute" a little less than absolute, which introduces grey into the black and white. Consequentialists would disagree, as would situation ethicists, virtue ethicists, etc. Note that these are all metaethical absolutist positions (who argue vehemently against moral relativism).

As to the statement at hand, I don't know. Part of me asks whether we tell the entire truth on a first date, or in a relationship (for instance, as I discuss with my philosophy students, women never look fat in their jeans, and to protect our fragile male egos, women always tell us the sex was mind-blowing). The jury is out on whether this constitutes a lie - for instance, if this school now represents your best shot at a medical education, it just might be your number one choice, which makes the statement the truth. Just some (non-relative) food for thought. ;)

EDIT:

The irony is that I need to get to bed because I'm *starting* the morality and ethics lecture in a little under nine hours.
Correct. There indeed are multiple situations of grey, etc. But let's look at only the situation at hand. The question is whether or not blatantly lie to a school, telling them they are one's first choice when the applicant absolutely knows they are not.
No, they're not lying to protect the med school's ego, or stealing to feed one's starving family, it would be a self-serving lie.
Some issues are grey, but I'd say this one is pretty black and white (as were the "should I lie about X on my AMCAS" threads that were circulating around earlier this year).

an interviewer saying he/she "hopes to see you next year" is not at all the same as you telling a school they're your first choice if they're not. how do you know that your interviewer doesn't want to see you next year? that interviewer may really like you - may even give you an excellent score on your interview and you're waitlisted for other reasons.

your example, however, is just a lie.

Some issues are grey, but I'd say this one is pretty black and white (as were the "should I lie about X on my AMCAS" threads that were circulating around earlier this year).

I went back and reread what the OP originally wrote, and I realized that I had missed the "definitely" part of not the first choice; so ignore that part of my response above. I do think that amounts to a manipulation, and it's not right to do so. That being said, I don't think it's in the same league as lying on an AMCAS form, which is blatant misrepresentation.

You guys have obviously not ever worked in the real world before. This is how it works when you are interviewing for jobs. Employers EXPECT you to play the game. You have to pretend like each place is the best thing for you and you would love working there. You tell them its by far your top choice, etc. Then when you get a job offer, you fib again and tell them you have other offers, but you really want to work there- and ask if they can raise your salary, etc etc.. Employers expect this as part of the bargaining process. If people dont act like this the employers are often even suprised! Its the same concept with buying a car, most people know you dont have other offers, its just the way its played.
The medical school admissions game is not extremely different- at least in this respect- when you are interviewing you have to pretend like each school is an unbelievable fit for you and that you would do anything to go there. Telling a school they are your top choice is a lot of times not lying- because if most applicants are like me, they strongly would consider going to any school that accepted them, making many schools their top choice.

It would be much worse if you told a school you would drop other acceptances if they accepted you- that is a different story. But telling a school that they are your choice is nothing, and even expected (in my opinion).

Why cant we just say you are ONE of my top choices...which is true in a lot of cases, dont they understand that med school is competitive, and that a lot of students go where they are accepted? the question i think is ridiculous to being with.......asking at an interview.......after youve spent all that money applying to them, flying to see them, its quite clear that we are interested in that point.....and if they ask me that question.....you can COUNT on me saying they are one of my top choices regardless....and i wont feel the slightest bit bad about it...

I heard the Match system is not as confidential as they lead you to believe. They might hold it against you if you said they were your top choice during the interview, and ranked them dead last, haha.

You guys have obviously not ever worked in the real world before. This is how it works when you are interviewing for jobs. Employers EXPECT you to play the game. You have to pretend like each place is the best thing for you and you would love working there. You tell them its by far your top choice, etc. Then when you get a job offer, you fib again and tell them you have other offers, but you really want to work there- and ask if they can raise your salary, etc etc.. Employers expect this as part of the bargaining process. If people dont act like this the employers are often even suprised! Its the same concept with buying a car, most people know you dont have other offers, its just the way its played.
The medical school admissions game is not extremely different- at least in this respect- when you are interviewing you have to pretend like each school is an unbelievable fit for you and that you would do anything to go there. Telling a school they are your top choice is a lot of times not lying- because if most applicants are like me, they strongly would consider going to any school that accepted them, making many schools their top choice.

It would be much worse if you told a school you would drop other acceptances if they accepted you- that is a different story. But telling a school that they are your choice is nothing, and even expected (in my opinion).

THANK YOU>>>THANK YOU>>>THANK YOU! Too many people hear are not realizing the "the big game" and I think its quite sad.....enough with justification.....Its like a country boy who goes to the big apple and gets lost in all the drama of a big city.....Every year Adcoms and students play the game of who not to accept and where not to go. Telling a school their your first choice is nothing out of the ordinary, and hence often has little weight in their desicion to accept you (unless, of course you go "all out" wit letters and balloons that read "your my first choice")..You see, the Adcoms have egos too, and they expect every lil whipper snapper that comes through that admissions office door to stroke it, and thus tell them how great they are and how much you would enjoy attending.....Cum on now premeddys, embrace your wild side for a second even if the wildest thing you ever do is lie to a school about having them as your first choice. Think about who it will effect: you? the Adcoms (what, for you not coming?...yeah right)? Or better yet a poor lil old student who doesnt have an acceptance yet (we all know bout the May 15th deadline...you have to pick so that another can slide in).....sorry if I sound like "you know who", but I think we as premeds (applying) dont realize how much power we hold in this process....sadly enough, everyone hear seems to have gave it all to the Adcoms.

THANK YOU>>>THANK YOU>>>THANK YOU! Too many people hear are not realizing the "the big game" and I think its quite sad.....enough with justification.....Its like a country boy who goes to the big apple and gets lost in all the drama of a big city.....Every year Adcoms and students play the game of who not to accept and where not to go. Telling a school their your first choice is nothing out of the ordinary, and hence often has little weight in their desicion to accept you (unless, of course you go "all out" wit letters and balloons that read "your my first choice")..You see, the Adcoms have egos too, and they expect every lil whipper snapper that comes through that admissions office door to stroke it, and thus tell them how great they are and how much you would enjoy attending.....Cum on now premeddys, embrace your wild side for a second even if the wildest thing you ever do is lie to a school about having them as your first choice. Think about who it will effect: you? the Adcoms (what, for you not coming?...yeah right)? Or better yet a poor lil old student who doesnt have an acceptance yet (we all know bout the May 15th deadline...you have to pick so that another can slide in).....sorry if I sound like "you know who", but I think we as premeds (applying) dont realize how much power we hold in this process....sadly enough, everyone hear seems to have gave it all to the Adcoms.

So true.

I think the best way to go about this is to do what you think is right. Abide by your morals because in the end, that's who you're going to have to look at in the mirror each morning. I don't want to wake up in 10 years and realize that I've become someone that I would have hated 10 years ago.

I think the best way to go about this is to do what you think is right. Abide by your morals because in the end, that's who you're going to have to look at in the mirror each morning. I don't want to wake up in 10 years and realize that I've become someone that I would have hated 10 years ago.

I agree with you Pkboi24, but I also think the most important moral you can have to hold yourself up through this distorted world is to be a good person, and never undermine others as less. Furthermore, I am not convinced that this situation even applies.

I am fairly certain that when interviewers tell you that they'll be rooting for you, and other such things, that they're probably not lying. I remember when I had an undergrad interview with a rather high-power lawyer who was an alum, and I had looked him up online and found out he had done a really high profile merger. So when I showed up I was genuinely impressed and mentioned that, and the interview went very well, and he said he'd definitely be recommending me, etc. While, yes, he could have been lying, I seriously doubt he was.

I was rejected nonetheless from Columbia, but I'd say the reason was that my grades just weren't up to par, and not that my interviewer had lied to me. Of course it's more obvious to me, because my own GPA was a good 7 points (out of 100) under what the average acceptance from my high school was, lol.

So, seriously, no, it's not the same thing as what the interviewer says. I've heard my boss give interviews to people applying for jobs where I work, and I don't think she's ever said anything that would be a lie. And when I interviewed for my current job nobody ever said anything that was misleading-in fact when I asked for clarification as to whether I had the job (this was after like 3 interviews) they responded pretty honestly too (that it was looking very good but they still had to run it past a few more people to finalize it).

Anyways, no it's not ok to tell a school they're your top choice when they're not. Especially since I have great doubts that most people could pull this off without sounding like they're BSing.

See, what bothers me about this is that if you're willing to lie for something that will give you such a negligible (if any) benefit, then what's to keep you from lying about more important things? I decided that in the process of becoming a doctor, I wouldn't do aything to make me the type of person who I wouldn't want to be a doctor. Besides, I don't want to spend the rest of my life trying to keep all my lies straight and looking for the next gluteus to kiss. Not even med school is worth that.

I also don't buy the "wait till you get to the real world" argument. I've spent most of the past decade working in the medical field. I've seen your approach backfire often enough to know that it's not pretty when it does (although it makes for some great stories). But hey, good luck. I hope you find much success in your medical career, preferably somewhere very far from where I live.

i did this but it was way back when I only had 3 interviews and at the time the school was my top choice...since then it has changed because i got several more interviews that i did not expect

I do interviews at my current job, and also help with mock interviews at my alma mater. We always ask applicants where else they are looking or have interviewed. If they say they have had a few interviews, we then ask where is their top place or where they can see themselves the most.
They are supposed to use this question to expand on why WE are their top choice and how they can contirbute to our environment. If they do not say that we are a top choice, we consider it a bad answer....not because we expect everyone to want to work here, but because we are forced to assume this person wasnt prepared to answer a softball question and didnt know how to present himself in an interview.

I am telling you that if your interviewer asks you where your top choice to go to medical school is, and you say another school...4/5 times its a wasted interview.

I certainly understand the opposing viewpoint. But I do not agree that this is the beginning of a "slippery slope" into immorality as a physician. I think people are making too big of a deal out of this. Schools will ask you what your top choice mainly as a lob pitch question. They expect you to know that you are supposed to answer that school, and then elaborate on why....

Reactions: 1 user
I do interviews at my current job, and also help with mock interviews at my alma mater. We always ask applicants where else they are looking or have interviewed. If they say they have had a few interviews, we then ask where is their top place or where they can see themselves the most.
They are supposed to use this question to expand on why WE are their top choice and how they can contirbute to our environment. If they do not say that we are a top choice, we consider it a bad answer....not because we expect everyone to want to work here, but because we are forced to assume this person wasnt prepared to answer a softball question and didnt know how to present himself in an interview.

I am telling you that if your interviewer asks you where your top choice to go to medical school is, and you say another school...4/5 times its a wasted interview.

I certainly understand the opposing viewpoint. But I do not agree that this is the beginning of a "slippery slope" into immorality as a physician. I think people are making too big of a deal out of this. Schools will ask you what your top choice is mainly as a lob pitch question. They expect you to know that you are supposed to answer that school, and then elaborate on why....

Thank YOu again....how'd the hell they come up with that one???? Great physicians (who happen to be great people also) play this game everday when they are switching job situations...That excuse for moral judgment is worst then the Marijuana commercial that states "Weed opens the floodgate for other drugs like cocaine and heroin"....I still think its amazing how "pre-ethical" the premeds here are......wait, just wait:smuggrin:

But if you dont feel comfortable with saying that, I think you could say "well my visit here now makes it one of my top choices" or even just leave it at "its one of my top choices" I guess those are fine.

But if you dont feel comfortable with saying that, I think you could say "well my visit here now makes it one of my top choices" or even just leave it at "its one of my top choices" I guess those are fine.

I agree:thumbup:

how are we expected to play "the game" (saying your school is my top choice) when interviewers KNOW we have pretty much no idea what a school is about until actually visiting the school during interviews?

So I told a medical school it was my top choice, and it was, honestly. But then you visit schools... and things change. So now I feel guilty, although I never lied... haha. either way it'll getcha, the whole 'first choice' thing. But... i believe in some cases, it can swing people an interview, but it should be more about what you like about that specific school than about picking top choices...

There will be so many serious ethical and moral delimmas that you will all be facing in your medical careers that it is down right funny that so much effort is being put into whether or not to overemphasize one's interest in a school. You will soon be dealing with extremely difficult issues with consequences truly impacting peoples lives and deaths. Dogmatic principles of moral absolutes will surely not provide a safe and easy way to navigate the trials of a medical career. Keep things in perspective. And be careful about being the one to cast the first stone. I think a good course may be to just try and be a good and decent person to the best of your abilities. If we dwell too much on the fine print, there is a chance of missing the bigger picture.

For me, I could not make a commitment in the foorm of a letter of intent, for instance, unless it was a true and sincere committment. However, merely saying how much you like a school and how you really want to go there (even if really you are luke warm to it) it just smart. No school wants to hear how you will maybe consider them if you don't get in anywhere else. Sometimes one's principles can cut one's own nose off for nothing.