Telling residency they are your first choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

augmel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this considered improper? Somewhere along the line I got this impression but most of my friends are telling their first choice in the thank you they send. Doesn't seem like it could hurt but I don't want to do something considered improper by the PD.

Members don't see this ad.

augmel said:
Is this considered improper? Somewhere along the line I got this impression but most of my friends are telling their first choice in the thank you they send. Doesn't seem like it could hurt but I don't want to do something considered improper by the PD.

It is NOT considered a violation of the NRMP process to tell a program how you will rank them. Nor it is improper for the program to tell you the same.

What is "improper" or a match violation is for you or the program to directly ask the other how they will be ranked.

Therefore, if you wish to communicate with a certain program, or even several that you liked, letting them know how you feel, that is fine. However, it would be "improper" to tell multiple programs that you're ranking them number 1.

Thanks Kimberli