Temple Dental Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkfairydust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I'm torn between an in-state school and out-of-state school. If any of you at Temple could please tell me the pros, cons, and in betweens of your school.

Do you regret your choice if you had somewhere else to go?

How are the opportunities to specialize?

Is clinic organized and is it easy to have patients?

Are the faculty members helpful?

How is the curriculum? Do you have paper tests or online tests?

Anything you could tell me to help me pick because I am running out of time. I was accepted into UTHSCSA and it is an in-state school so I'm trying to see if it is worth leaving state and going to a school that I feel is far more relaxed and happier over all.

Members don't see this ad.

You would be saving almost 100k by staying in Texas. No matter what the answers are to your questions above, I personally don't think there's any good reason to leave and pay that extra price tag.

If you still want answers, feel free to PM me (rising D2).

Hi guys, so I'm torn between an in-state school and out-of-state school. If any of you at Temple could please tell me the pros, cons, and in betweens of your school.

Do you regret your choice if you had somewhere else to go?

How are the opportunities to specialize?

Is clinic organized and is it easy to have patients?

Are the faculty members helpful?

How is the curriculum? Do you have paper tests or online tests?

Anything you could tell me to help me pick because I am running out of time. I was accepted into UTHSCSA and it is an in-state school so I'm trying to see if it is worth leaving state and going to a school that I feel is far more relaxed and happier over all.

As a former student of the program, I would NOT recommend Temple's Dental program to ANYONE. 1. I defitinitly regret choosing to attend Temple. The school is located in one of the WORST areas in Philadelphia. It is not clean nor safe. 2. Yes there are oppertunities to potentially specialize. 3. It is tremendously frustrating as far as patients attendance is concerned. You will experience some very useless days with no shows from uncaring, no-show patients. When your patient does show you, expect to spend A LOT of time waiting for a faculty member to sign off on your next step for the appointment. There is not enough staff, and even when you get your turn with a faculty doctor they will probably give you some attitude. 4. Faculty members are NOT helpful for the most part and may even belittle students in office hours with unhelpful advice such as "know everything," "memorize all the slides." 5. Tests are taking through Examsoft.

TEMPLE DENTAL SCHOOL BUILDING (OLD BUILDING WHERE YOU WILL HAVE YOUR FIRST 2 CLASSROOM-BASED YEARS) IS OLD, FALLING APART, NOT WELL AIR-CONDITIONED, IS AN EYE-SORE FROM THE OUTSIDE, AND IS MOSTLY AN EMBARRASSMENT TO THE STUDENTS, WHO CARE ABOUT WHERE THEY SPEND THEIR TIME, AND CALLS TO QUESTION WHAT TUITION PAYMENTS REALLY ARE USED FOR.

PEOPLE IN PHILADELPHIA ARE GENERALLY NOT KIND NOR FRIENDLY. THE MEDICAL SCHOOL LIBRARY IS A 10-MINUTE WALK AWAY (WHERE YOU HAVE ANATOMY FIRST YEAR), AND IT IS OFTEN COLD, RAINY/SNOWY/SCATTERED WITH BEGGARS, AND IS IN ONE OF THE MOST UNSAFE AREAS OF THE CITY.

Best of luck with your future, I think ANYONE would be better/happier/feel safer and more respected at almost any other dental school.

Reactions: 1 user