Temple Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The interview is supposed to have a writing essay portion and a video portion.... huh?

Apparently they want you to provide a 3-5 minute video of your self.... anyone done / heard of this ?

Members don't see this ad.

i know maryland gives an option for submitting a video, but im not sure how long. 3 to 5 minutes is a looooonnnnnnggggg time. Not an option? Congrats on the interview. When did you hear?

I got the interview invite today, Its scheduled for the 13th of October. When I look at the schedule of the day... I don't see a real "1 on 1" interview slot portion. Its just essay and a 3-5 minute video towards the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not positive, but a friend of mine (a few years older) interviewed at Temple and said they have group interviews.

Congrats on the interview, I am waiting to hear from them!

For those of you who received a Temple interview, what date was your application received/under review on aadsas?

AADSAS Received/under review: 9/1

The day will conclude with a writing sample and video statement. The statement
should be 3 to 5 minutes long and showcase your verbal skills, as well as reinforce your
desire of becoming a dentist by addressing what sets you apart from other applicants and what
information you would like the admissions committee members to consider when they review
your application.

Is this something new for this year?

I know someone who currently attends Temple and he said that this is something new that they are doing this year. From what I understood from him, the interview is recorded.

my goodness... as if interview itself is not stressful enough.

my goodness... as if interview itself is not stressful enough.

haha, its kinda funny.

I dunno, I think it relives alot of pressure, you don't have 1 on 1 interviews... instead....you have a 3 minute clip of yourself stuttering, continuously attempting (with constant failure) to keep eye contact to the lens, while trying to conduct a meaningful way of "showcasing your verbal skills"

I dunno guys, sounds like a riot, but fun :)

i have an interview on the 13th as well, I heard that they do group interviews as well.

It won't be a big deal. Just smile, relax, and be yourself. I think it will allow a more equal playing field, because before I think the committee had to rely off of the impressions of one person, but now they can see first hand what a wonderful person you are.
My interview wasn't all that bad. It seemed focused on leadership, and how I would fit into their system.
As Nixon can attest, when the camera is recording, it isn't so much what you say, it is how you say it.

Reactions: 1 user
haha I didn't know we were doing this. This is awesome lol

Members don't see this ad :)
For those with Temple interview...
Did you guys pay the extra $25 dollars to have your DAT scores sent to the school? My scores have been on AADSAS since late August and they still have my scores as "Not Received" as of 9/13/10.

I thought schools were fine with the scores uploaded on AADSAS...is Temple just different?

For those with Temple interview...
Did you guys pay the extra $25 dollars to have your DAT scores sent to the school? My scores have been on AADSAS since late August and they still have my scores as "Not Received" as of 9/13/10.

I thought schools were fine with the scores uploaded on AADSAS...is Temple just different?

hey i'm under review at temple, and i didn't pay to have my scores sent anywhere, just listed on aadsas

hey i'm under review at temple, and i didn't pay to have my scores sent anywhere, just listed on aadsas

Same here. Under School Decisions, I'm "under review" but under Supplemental Materials, it says I'm missing my DAT Scores...don't know what to think.

For those who got interviews, did you guys ever get a "app complete" email from Temple after sending in their supplemental sheet?

When were you guys received/under review on AADSAS?

thanks y'all

So before you go interview make sure you read the thread on here about the professor who assaulted a student at temple. Good luck with everything!

So before you go interview make sure you read the thread on here about the professor who assaulted a student at temple. Good luck with everything!

Huh? What exactly happened? And most importantly, why did you bring it up in this thread? :)

EDIT: NVM just saw the link.

Last edited:

I did read it, and really I don't care. They can slap me around, punch me in the face, and change my first name to "idiot" if it means that 4 years later, I'll "steal" my DDS/DMD from them

I did read it, and really I don't care. They can slap me around, punch me in the face, and change my first name to "idiot" if it means that 4 years later, I'll "steal" my DDS/DMD from them

you'll be a shoe-in for temple admission if you tell them this.

Are there really schools where there isn't a single professor who is a jerk like this? I don't mean to the degree of the assault -- but I sort of expect at least a couple of bad eggs at any school who are there more to stroke their own ego than to pass on knowledge.

The key thing is that I don't want that to get out of hand though. But it seems like you have to do some standing up for yourself wherever you go.

For those who got interviews, did you guys ever get a "app complete" email from Temple after sending in their supplemental sheet?

When were you guys received/under review on AADSAS?

thanks y'all

um ok, can someone answer my question?

Okay so regarding crooked castle's question. I called temple today, and the person on the phone said that we do not need to send in additional dat scores. However, she seemed kind of confused when I asked her the question. Can anyone who has already received an interview confirm this?

Okay so regarding crooked castle's question. I called temple today, and the person on the phone said that we do not need to send in additional dat scores. However, she seemed kind of confused when I asked her the question. Can anyone who has already received an interview confirm this?
mine says under review, and lists nothing needed under status
i did not pay for dat to be sent to any schools, just listed from aadsas

mine says under review, and lists nothing needed under status
i did not pay for dat to be sent to any schools, just listed from aadsas

Thanks Plopper! However, what does yours say under supplemental materials for them? Under mine, it says Official DAT Scores: Status - Not Received

Do you know if the video is a taped interview or do you just have to come prepared with something to say about yourself during that time?

Do you know if the video is a taped interview or do you just have to come prepared with something to say about yourself during that time?

I interviewed at Temple Dental School two days ago. For the interview, they put each of us in a room with a video camera and we had up to 4 minutes to speak. The prompt was something like: Explain your interest in dentistry and why we should accept you to Temple. I knew about the video interview in advance so I prepared a 4 minute speech and rehearsed it many times. Brian seemed impressed by my preparation and said I was the first person all year to come in with a well-rehearsed 4 minute speech. When I got home, I videotaped myself giving the speech and put it onto YouTube. Feel free to use it as a reference for preparing your own speeches.

I interviewed at Temple Dental School two days ago. For the interview, they put each of us in a room with a video camera and we had up to 4 minutes to speak. The prompt was something like: Explain your interest in dentistry and why we should accept you to Temple. I knew about the video interview in advance so I prepared a 4 minute speech and rehearsed it many times. Brian seemed impressed by my preparation and said I was the first person all year to come in with a well-rehearsed 4 minute speech. When I got home, I videotaped myself giving the speech and put it onto YouTube. Feel free to use it as a reference for preparing your own speeches.

I feel like bumping five different old threads to get "publicity" for your YouTube video is pretty lame. I have no idea if it's actually the kind of video you say it is because I refuse to click on it and give you an addition to your view count. Bumping one thread is acceptable, five is annoying. Rant over.

I feel like bumping five different old threads to get "publicity" for your YouTube video is pretty lame. I have no idea if it's actually the kind of video you say it is because I refuse to click on it and give you an addition to your view count. Bumping one thread is acceptable, five is annoying. Rant over.

+10000000

Ditto!

Ok wow.... that video is kind of ridiculous. That's how you DONT get in to temple. There is a purpose for the video -- the admissions staff wants to get many professors opinions on the applicants, rather than one doctor making the decision to accept or not. They send the video to the staff and make a decision together. The video is NOT awkward at all... Yeah it's stressful because you are interviewing for dental school, but it's over so fast. Everyone stutters, but SMILE and show some PERSONALITY. Those are the two most important things. This kid didn't show any personality at all.... bland and over rehearsed= not getting in (at least in my opinion). Don't sweat this its not bad.

Maybe the professors will accept him because they want a goofball to laugh at, in case they get bored. Teaching the whole day has got to be monotonous for at least some of the time. I felt embarrassed and awkward just listening to it.

His video was absolutely awful. The worst speech I have ever seen in my life. Incredibly obnoxious and very awkward.

based on this post i'm going to watch it all the way through

edit: lol just 30 seconds in it's obvious the kid is trolling. but in case he's not...all of you should be ashamed for making fun of the mentally handicapped.

you'll all make terrible dentists

based on this post i'm going to watch it all the way through

edit: lol just 30 seconds in it's obvious the kid is trolling. but in case he's not...all of you should be ashamed for making fun of the mentally handicapped.

you'll all make terrible dentists

There is absolutely no indication that he is mentally handicapped. Furthermore, he received a 28AA on his DAT. And he is not trolling, he is a real person who has actually done stuff with Toastmasters.

There is absolutely no indication that he is mentally handicapped. Furthermore, he received a 28AA on his DAT. And he is not trolling, he is a real person who has actually done stuff with Toastmasters.

claims to have a 28. claims.

I give you props for being brave enough to share your video on SDN. Apparently we all get to see our video once we graduate, and I don't even want to do that, let alone allow everyone on SDN to watch it...haha

I don't think this video will automatically cause you a rejection, but it is in fact rather bland and rehearsed. You brought too much of your "predental" personality into it. It sounds like you basically rehearsed your EC section on your application. Everyone is awkward in their video, because you are essentially talking to a camera for 3 minutes and have to sell yourself right then and there. Like Swoops said, the point is too show your personality off, because the admissions committee obviously already liked what they saw on your application....no sense in rehearsing it.

And another thing to keep in mind...a lot of the people posting in these temple threads (or lurking) might end up being your classmates. Just something to keep in mind before exposing yourself in the most awkward part of the temple interview process...

I am currently a student at temple. If anyone has questions feel free to ask

Well, that was interesting.

Maybe the professors will accept him because they want a goofball to laugh at, in case they get bored. Teaching the whole day has got to be monotonous for at least some of the time. I felt embarrassed and awkward just listening to it.
Thats a lame reason to accept someone. Because they may get bored?! I'll be pissed if someone is accepted simply because he/she is a goofball.

Thats a lame reason to accept someone. Because they may get bored?! I'll be pissed if someone is accepted simply because he/she is a goofball.

If I were a prof, I would definitely accept him. Him being there for 4 years would give one enough number of funny stories to tell people for at least 10 yrs+

If I were a prof, I would definitely accept him. Him being there for 4 years would give one enough number of funny stories to tell people for at least 10 yrs+
how will he every relay a treatment plan to a patient?!

how will he every relay a treatment plan to a patient?!

They would be scared out of their mind and just accept whatever he says. It's not like the patients who go to D-schools for treatment are going there because they have a choice.

I think involvement in toastmasters would be a valuable life skill. I've seen first hand how people that can't make toast and associated foods are harmful to society. Just the other day, the residents below us nearly set my apartment on fire with their toaster oven.

However, I think I may have to disagree with you on the evolution from Seagals to Owls being a good thing. I think you'll find that Seagals are a highly derived evolutionary species. Observe:

Note crunch at 0:20, Super Slap at 0:30