Temple Post Bacc ACMS 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this year's thread a month early!

Does anyone know the stats of typical accepted applicants?

How many apply vs how many are accepted?

How hard is it to maintain a GPA over 3.6 in the program?

Members don't see this ad.

In the middle of filling out my application now. I would love some info as well

Reactions: 1 user

They post such stats on their website, you have to go through their website. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, want your opinions: do you think it's a good idea to have an app submitted for the MD program at the same time as the post bacc, or should I wait to hear a decision from the MD program first? I want to fully be considered for med school as a priority over the post bacc, since it's a back up plan

There's not much information on their website about the GPA or MCAT for being fully accepted into the med school. So if you are accepted and receive a 3.6 in the postbac program and a specific MCAT score you start their medical school in the fall?

I'm currently in ACMS!

In regards to stats for accepted applicants, I've heard it depends on whether you have the required MCAT score already or not. If you do, you can get by with a little lower GPA (probably even down to the 3.4 range). However if you don't have the MCAT, I've heard that you need a higher GPA (more like a 3.8 or 3.9).

In regards to how many apply versus how many accepted, it's pretty low. Rumor is that for our class there were over 2200 applicants for 35 spots. It seems like most of the people who were accepted ended up attending, since everyone seems to remember the other people at their interviews (for instance, everyone who I interviewed with is now in the program).

However, once you're in, it's (fingers crossed) basically a guarantee. Last year, everyone made it. It seems like at the worst, one or maybe two won't make it through, but it'll be because of a low MCAT. You'll work really hard, but professors and administrators really want us to succeed.

Hope this is helpful, and feel free to message me with questions- good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm currently in ACMS!

In regards to stats for accepted applicants, I've heard it depends on whether you have the required MCAT score already or not. If you do, you can get by with a little lower GPA (probably even down to the 3.4 range). However if you don't have the MCAT, I've heard that you need a higher GPA (more like a 3.8 or 3.9).

In regards to how many apply versus how many accepted, it's pretty low. Rumor is that for our class there were over 2200 applicants for 35 spots. It seems like most of the people who were accepted ended up attending, since everyone seems to remember the other people at their interviews (for instance, everyone who I interviewed with is now in the program).

However, once you're in, it's (fingers crossed) basically a guarantee. Last year, everyone made it. It seems like at the worst, one or maybe two won't make it through, but it'll be because of a low MCAT. You'll work really hard, but professors and administrators really want us to succeed.

Thanks for your help!

What is the required MCAT score? Is it okay for it to be expired by the time you start med school, but not at the time of applying?

Thanks for your help!

What is the required MCAT score? Is it okay for it to be expired by the time you start med school, but not at the time of applying?
Unfortunately I'm not sure what the new required score is- I took the old MCAT. It used to be a 30, with no section lower than 8. You should be able to find it on the admissions page for the postbac program. For your second question, that's a tricky one. Med school admissions are usually very strict with time requirements for MCAT. The postbac admissions might consider that score when looking at your application just for the postbac program, but you will probably have to retake it and score above the requirement in order to be admitted to Temple med. I'm really not sure though- if you are accepted, I'm sure this is something you would discuss with the postbac directors.

Hi @medschoolhopeful11345 - can you comment on when interviews started for your class? How far in advance were they scheduled? Does the program seem to give any preference to trad vs non-trad and/or local applicants?

Hi @medschoolhopeful11345 - can you comment on when interviews started for your class? How far in advance were they scheduled? Does the program seem to give any preference to trad vs non-trad and/or local applicants?

I believe the first interviews for my class were in late February. My interview was in late April, and they gave me probably a month's notice. I think the majority are interviewed in May and June, with a few earlier and a few later. I would say the class is probably half trad, half non-trad. I'm pretty trad (straight out of undergrad, biology major, etc.), but there are definitely a few older non-trads also. I do believe Temple does give slight preference to in-state applicants. I would guess that around 30-40% of our class is made up of Pennsylvania residents. However, it's by no means exclusive to in-state. I do think you have to be an American citizen, but otherwise it doesn't play that big of a factor

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question regarding the three clinical campuses that we are able to choose from in the ACMS application. The three choices as listed on their website are:

" Medical students have three clinical campus opportunities in Pennsylvania.
• Our Regional Campus at St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem provides the unique opportunity for 30 students to complete the first year of medical school in Philadelphia and spend years 2, 3, and 4 in Bethlehem.
• Our Clinical campus site at the Geisinger Health System in Danville provides the opportunity for students to complete all their third and fourth year required clerkships in Danville.
• Students may also elect to remain in the Philadelphia region for the third and fourth years by selecting Temple University Health System and affiliates."

I have searched the websites of these different campuses, however I fail to see how/what precedent I am making my decision on. Does anyone have a list or info regarding what each of the campuses offers? Or just information about them that we should know as post-bac students? Really looking for some clarification on this. Would be rad if someone could help out!! :happy:

I'm currently in ACMS!

Hello! I was hoping if you could, please, answer another question. I was wondering if you had any advice on how to be successful in the program. Any good study habits that you recommend? Test- taking strategies? Anything along these lines would be super helpful.

I have a question regarding the three clinical campuses that we are able to choose from in the ACMS application. The three choices as listed on their website are:

" Medical students have three clinical campus opportunities in Pennsylvania.
• Our Regional Campus at St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem provides the unique opportunity for 30 students to complete the first year of medical school in Philadelphia and spend years 2, 3, and 4 in Bethlehem.
• Our Clinical campus site at the Geisinger Health System in Danville provides the opportunity for students to complete all their third and fourth year required clerkships in Danville.
• Students may also elect to remain in the Philadelphia region for the third and fourth years by selecting Temple University Health System and affiliates."

I have searched the websites of these different campuses, however I fail to see how/what precedent I am making my decision on. Does anyone have a list or info regarding what each of the campuses offers? Or just information about them that we should know as post-bac students? Really looking for some clarification on this. Would be rad if someone could help out!! :happy:

If you don't have any particular reasons to want another campus (like family in the area or something like that), then it's better to pick the main campus in Philadelphia when applying. It's possible to check out the other campuses during the ACMS year and switching out to one of those is pretty easy. Switching back to the Philadelphia campus can be a pain though, as you'll likely have to find someone in the incoming class to switch with campuses with you. I switched out to another campus after my ACMS year because I'm not suited to large cities, but a couple of classmates are still trying to switch from a regional campus to the main one.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't have any particular reasons to want another campus (like family in the area or something like that), then it's better to pick the main campus in Philadelphia when applying. It's possible to check out the other campuses during the ACMS year and switching out to one of those is pretty easy. Switching back to the Philadelphia campus can be a pain though, as you'll likely have to find someone in the incoming class to switch with campuses with you. I switched out to another campus after my ACMS year because I'm not suited to large cities, but a couple of classmates are still trying to switch from a regional campus to the main one.
Thanks dude!!

Hello! I was hoping if you could, please, answer another question. I was wondering if you had any advice on how to be successful in the program. Any good study habits that you recommend? Test- taking strategies? Anything along these lines would be super helpful.
People have different strategies! It's not killer tough, but you'll definitely need to just put the work in and do a lot of studying. You don't want to procrastinate, and it helps to study in groups. I definitely found the fall semester very doable. Spring semester is more difficult with pharmacology and anatomy- you really need to put in the hours, and study hard, especially for anatomy.

Hi! Has anyone heard anything yet?/know anything about the application timeline? My application was fully submitted dec. 4. Thanks!

People have different strategies! It's not killer tough, but you'll definitely need to just put the work in and do a lot of studying. You don't want to procrastinate, and it helps to study in groups. I definitely found the fall semester very doable. Spring semester is more difficult with pharmacology and anatomy- you really need to put in the hours, and study hard, especially for anatomy.
Thanks so much!

I'm currently in ACMS!

Do you mean that in order to be accepted, an applicant will need a GPA of 3.4 if he/she has a good MCAT score and a 3.8-3.9 if the applicant doesn't have an MCAT score at the time of admission to the ACMS?

Do you mean that in order to be accepted, an applicant will need a GPA of 3.4 if he/she has a good MCAT score and a 3.8-3.9 if the applicant doesn't have an MCAT score at the time of admission to the ACMS?
Yes. And I'm not totally sure on those numbers- that's more just of what I've heard. However admissions has definitely taken less people who still have to take the MCAT. Our class has only 5 out of 35 who have to take it. I've heard that those who haven't taken it have very strong GPAs and SAT scores (>1400 for math and CR)

Yes. And I'm not totally sure on those numbers- that's more just of what I've heard. However admissions has definitely taken less people who still have to take the MCAT. Our class has only 5 out of 35 who have to take it. I've heard that those who haven't taken it have very strong GPAs and SAT scores (>1400 for math and CR)

My MCAT 2015 is 87th percentile, but my undergraduate GPA isn't competitive. sGPA 3.00 cGPA 3.05. There was a definite upward trend, but my freshman year was a disaster and I had to work full time every year since.

I'm a registered nurse in the critical care units and the emergency department. I have undergraduate research experience and a lot of volunteering experiences. Also, I occupied several leadership roles in extracurricular activities. I have significant ties to the area and I will not have to work during the program or medical school.

I completed my Temple post bacc application on 02/08/2016. Think I have a shot at admission?

Last edited:
Thanks for your help!

I just got an email today asking if I would not like my application to be considered for the CST post bac as well...do you know what this is and what the difference is between the two? Thanks.

Edit: I meant to reply to the person who is a current ACMS student. :idea:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just got an email today asking if I would not like my application to be considered for the CST post bac as well...do you know what this is and what the difference is between the two? Thanks.

Hey- I'm really not sure, sorry.

I've heard some info about the CST program from admissions staff! Don't quote me on this, but I believe the CST post bac is a new program through Temple CST, not the school of medicine. It is meant as preparation for all areas of healthcare (pre-med, pre-dental, etc.), not just pre-med. The major difference is that it does NOT include the conditional acceptance to the medical school. Apparently people who do well in the program will be offered interviews for the med school. I'm not sure how many or what GPA you'd need- you'd have to ask admissions about the specifics. It sounds like CST postbacs will take the same fall classes as ACMS students, but will not take the same spring (that means no anatomy). Basically, from my understanding, it seems like the CST postbac is more of your "traditional" program meant to help you for applying to other med schools, and those who do well will get interviews at Temple med.

I've heard some info about the CST program from admissions staff! Don't quote me on this, but I believe the CST post bac is a new program through Temple CST, not the school of medicine. It is meant as preparation for all areas of healthcare (pre-med, pre-dental, etc.), not just pre-med. The major difference is that it does NOT include the conditional acceptance to the medical school. Apparently people who do well in the program will be offered interviews for the med school. I'm not sure how many or what GPA you'd need- you'd have to ask admissions about the specifics. It sounds like CST postbacs will take the same fall classes as ACMS students, but will not take the same spring (that means no anatomy). Basically, from my understanding, it seems like the CST postbac is more of your "traditional" program meant to help you for applying to other med schools, and those who do well will get interviews at Temple med.
That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks!

Hey guys, I had a question about the application cycle for ACMS grads.

So do you apply after you are complete with the program (meaning 1 more gap year for the application cycle after the program) or do you apply prior to the start of the program? I couldn't find any info on this other than the 30 mcat -> interview linkage system

Thanks

Anybody know what's up with the SAT score requirement...I have a 518 MCAT but a 1210 SAT. Website says 1400 but that seems high. Not going to waste the $50 if my app will get thrown out for a test I took 9 years ago.

Has anyone received an interview invite here yet?

Anybody know what's up with the SAT score requirement...I have a 518 MCAT but a 1210 SAT. Website says 1400 but that seems high. Not going to waste the $50 if my app will get thrown out for a test I took 9 years ago.
I can't give you a definite yes or no. If they haven't changed their policy, then it would still be worth applying (I had a 1380, with a 580 in CR and 800 in M). I think they're more concerned about SATs for people with no MCAT, but I can't say for certain.

I can't give you a definite yes or no. If they haven't changed their policy, then it would still be worth applying (I had a 1380, with a 580 in CR and 800 in M). I think they're more concerned about SATs for people with no MCAT, but I can't say for certain.

That's good to hear, thanks! I saw the 32 ACT requirement, and I was bummed because I had a 31. I did take the MCAT in 2014, so I do not think I qualify as one of the people who don't have an MCAT, right?

That's good to hear, thanks! I saw the 32 ACT requirement, and I was bummed because I had a 31. I did take the MCAT in 2014, so I do not think I qualify as one of the people who don't have an MCAT, right?
When did you take it in 2014? I believe that it can't be more than three years old by the time of matriculation into Temple med. So if you're going to enter Temple med in August of 2017, your MCAT will have to be after 8/2017

Hi all, is there a word limit on the mini essays? On the previous years' threads, some people mentioned that there is a 850 character limit on each essay; however, I looked at the student guide book and there's nothing on the limit.

When did you take it in 2014? I believe that it can't be more than three years old by the time of matriculation into Temple med. So if you're going to enter Temple med in August of 2017, your MCAT will have to be after 8/2017

I took the MCAT in June 2014...do you think that they would make an exception given that it would only be expired by 2 months?

Just applied and I have a bunch of questions.
1.) When will I be able to send temple stuff. I don't have access yet to sent material online. All I see is my application details.
2.) What is our "TU ID"? I wasn't given one and apparently I need it to properly name my documents.
3.) Anyone know if Temple will accept screenshots of SAT scores. It will cost me $50 to send old SAT scores. Too expensive for me.

I took the MCAT in June 2014...do you think that they would make an exception given that it would only be expired by 2 months?
I think you should be OK. But I would call or email them to be sure.

Hi all, is there a word limit on the mini essays? On the previous years' threads, some people mentioned that there is a 850 character limit on each essay; however, I looked at the student guide book and there's nothing on the limit.

I believe there is a total 10.000 character count for all 7 essays. Last year they had suggested character counts (that wasn't enforced) but this year they changes things and you really can write as much as you want.

I see on the sGPA spreadsheet there is an area of MCAT scores. There isn't space for the new MCAT. I submitted it blank. Anyone else do the same thing?

Thread seems awfully quiet. Is this program an unpopular option, or is everyone still waiting to hear news from Temple?

I'm currently in ACMS!

I was accepted to the BCMS without MCAT scores with an undergrad GPA of 3.16. although I do have 4 years of work in a hospital under my belt. I guess the requirements must be different.

waiting to hear back but i think the general wait time is like months
I received an email about BCMS on Friday. Interviewed on February 12th. They said to allow 4-6 weeks after interviewing. Though my program starts in May. Does the ACMS have different deadlines?

I received an email about BCMS on Friday. Interviewed on February 12th. They said to allow 4-6 weeks after interviewing. Though my program starts in May. Does the ACMS have different deadlines?

@smore11 congrats on your acceptance! I interviewed for BCMS on Feb 26th and the wait is driving me nuts! Did you hear back via email or postal mail? I know the website says postal but I wasn't sure because stuff seems to change a lot.

Did anyone receive a complete email btw? All my stuff is in but I didn't get anything

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone! Thinking about applying to this program and I have a few questions, if someone could help me out:

1) Is it considered late in the cycle right now? (I saw that apps opened in Oct but it doesn't seem like ppl at least on this thread have been interviewing?)

2) Am I allowed to submit the same letters of recommendation that I have used to apply to med school this cycle?

3) From the website it says a successful ACMS applicant will have: "Cumulative GPA of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale. Science GPA of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale (including biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics (BCPM) departments)". Is this like a required #/cutoff or is it just the average GPA for an accepted applicant?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks! :)

What do you guys think about applying to ACMS for the fall all while having an app in for the school of medicine? Do you think it'll hurt my chances? I think I read somewhere that its the same "committee" doing the review.

Joining this thread!!! I already have high MCAT score, but my GPA is unbelievable. But I hope to get an interview! I applied in October but my app wasn't complete until March because of ACT score lol. It's complete now, and now I'm having my fingers crossed! And for those of you who wonder if it's ok to send in AMCAS application, they already know I think if you applied to Temple. And it's actually easier bc they transfer all recommendations from AMCAS app.

Last edited:
Hi @medschoolhopeful11345
Can you apply with no SAT or ACT score? I called twice and both times they said they would get back to me, but they never called back. I moved here from another country late in high school so I never took the SAT or ACT. I went straight to a community college and transferred to a four-year to finish my degree. I do have a MCAT score though. I'm really interested in the program, but I don't want to waste the money to apply if they are going to consider my application incomplete due to my lack of SAT/ACT score.

Hi @medschoolhopeful11345
Can you apply with no SAT or ACT score? I called twice and both times they said they would get back to me, but they never called back. I moved here from another country late in high school so I never took the SAT or ACT. I went straight to a community college and transferred to a four-year to finish my degree. I do have a MCAT score though. I'm really interested in the program, but I don't want to waste the money to apply if they are going to consider my application incomplete due to my lack of SAT/ACT score.
Yes, I believe you should be fine, especially since you have the MCAT. You should contact and alert admissions, so it doesn't appear as missing. In addition to your situation, since some colleges don't require SATs, there are exceptions for not having those scores.

I did not get a complete email but my application does say "complete and ready for review". Am I done?