Temple Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alparkeruab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone give me some info on the different scholarships Temple offers, or point me in the right direction to find this info?

How many different academic scholarships does Temple award? What amounts are they for? What MCAT score/GPA is required to receive these different scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

alparkeruab said:
Could someone give me some info on the different scholarships Temple offers, or point me in the right direction to find this info?

How many different academic scholarships does Temple award? What amounts are they for? What MCAT score/GPA is required to receive these different scholarships?

As per TUSPM website (http://podiatry.temple.edu/admissions/admissions3.html#scholarships):

Scholarships
In an effort to help students defray the cost of podiatric medical school, alumni, and other supporters of the Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine have established a number of scholarships. In September 2005, the college awarded over $600,000 in scholarshiops to 120 students, representing nearly 10% of total tuition costs. Additional scholarships are being funded on an ongoing basis. For more information about each scholarship, you can view a listing of TUSPM scholarships and their criteria at: http://podiatry.temple.edu/Admissions/scholarshps.html

As a TUSPM alumni, I got quite a bit of scholarship money when I was a student for each of my four years at Temple. There are a bunch of scholarships that you available initially when you get admitted to TUSPM. There are a lot more scholarships that current students can apply for once enrolled at TUSPM. They have different criteria for each scholarship. As a TUSPM student, you will get a scholarship handbook every year listing all of the current scholarships and allow you to apply for them every year. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Do you have any idea what grades/MCAT scores are needed for the initial merit scholarships that are awarded beginning your first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
alparkeruab said:
Do you have any idea what grades/MCAT scores are needed for the initial merit scholarships that are awarded beginning your first year?

I am not sure of the current grades and MCAT scores needed to get an initial merit scholarships from TUSPM. Perhaps, current applicants can shed some light on that. You can also contact TUSPM admissions about this.

dpmgrad said:
I am not sure of the current grades and MCAT scores needed to get an initial merit scholarships from TUSPM. Perhaps, current applicants can shed some light on that. You can also contact TUSPM admissions about this.

Well I think I got some idea of their breakdown, and this is based on what I have as well as some people I know:

GPA: 3-3.3? MCAT 20-24 Scholarship= 7500
GPA: 3.3-4? MCAT 24-40 Scholarship= 12000

I don't know of any scholarships below 7500, but I am sure there are some. Again these are my estimates based on things I've heard. These scholarships ONLY apply to first year.

TUSPM gives a scholarship to everyone who is accepted, which is everyone who applies, but beware the scholarship only lasts for the 1st year! The scholarship sounds like alot of money too, but its small beans in the whole scheme of things. :D

hug793 said:
TUSPM gives a scholarship to everyone who is accepted, which is everyone who applies, but beware the scholarship only lasts for the 1st year! The scholarship sounds like alot of money too, but its small beans in the whole scheme of things. :D

This statement is not true because there are certain amount of classmates at TUSPM that did not get a scholarship when entering into TUSPM. The students are notified up front of the criteria of the scholarship. Some students will only get the scholarship for the first year and then will have to apply for other scholarship opportunities in the subsequent years. On the other hand, some of the students will have have part or entire scholarship amount renewed provided they met the criteria for scholarship renewal.

I do not think that any school would guarantee any students the same scholarship for all four years without setting criterias that students need to maintain in order to renew the scholarship.

Lastly, this is a forum for prospective students and current podiatry students to exchange ideas and information. Please refrain from misinforming the forum readers with information that is not true.

So those initial scholarships given to first year students are only for the first year with no chance of renewal?

Are other kinds of scholarships available after your first year?

alparkeruab said:
So those initial scholarships given to first year students are only for the first year with no chance of renewal?

yes there are scholarships after first year.... and they range in value between 2000 to 10000 per year.... on avg the school gives out 6000 they say...... the catch? less money with less grades,.. it's based on 10% percentile groups

I was just wondering, as the topic has been brought up, what are the scholarship amounts and structures for the various other pod schools as many of the schools do not list this information on their website.

dpmrunner said:
I was just wondering, as the topic has been brought up, what are the scholarship amounts and structures for the various other pod schools as many of the schools do not list this information on their website.

Keep in mind that there are also other scholarships that you may be elligible for, but the basic academic scholarship at Barry ranges from $2500 to $12,000. Once you get it, it's yours for four years as long as you maintain a B average. There are some scholarships, though, that are only available to upperclassmen. For instance, there is a scholarship only for fourth year students funded entirely by the Barry faculty.

alparkeruab said:

This is not true. There are several initial scholarships for first year students that are renewable after the first year provided that they maintain certain GPA. I had one of those renewable initial scholarships as a student at TUSPM. The new students at TUSPM are usually informed in advanced whether or not their initial scholarship is renewable or not. However, the previous postings about the scholarship where you get a certain amount initially and your renewed scholarship amount is half of the initial amount does exist at TUSPM.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, each TUSPM student gets a handbook every year listing scholarship opportunities every year. TUSPM students are eligible to apply for various scholarships every year. Most of the scholarships that TUSPM students apply for after the first year are not all entirely based on academic grades. Of course, there are scholarships that are based on academic achievement as well. You can read more about these various scholarship opportunities on TUSPM website.