Temple Univ. Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mokhoras

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
During my research I spoke with someone from admissions and they told me that if you complete their post bacc program with at least a 3.5 GPA and score at least a 30 on the MCATS you are guaranteed admission into their medschool. It sounds too good to be true haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
for the bcms program, i was wondering if anyone tried applying already taking 3 prereqs? one of the requirements is taking no more than 2, but how strict are they on that?

would like more info on this program as well. The website indicates 20% acceptance rate. Bump.

Anyone have info on either of Temple's 2 postbac programs? Info on SDN is pretty light re: this school. Thx.

Anyone have info on either of Temple's 2 postbac programs? Info on SDN is pretty light re: this school. Thx.

if you have already taken med school prereqs you need to take the ACMS track. Otherwise, if you have no science background go for basic. If you complete the program with a 3.5 and 30 mcat you get a seat in the med school in fall

The website says that you need at least a 1200 SAT to get in. Does anyone know of anyone who has gotten in with a sub-1200 score? How strict are they with this requirement?

The website says that you need at least a 1200 SAT to get in. Does anyone know of anyone who has gotten in with a sub-1200 score? How strict are they with this requirement?

I'm not sure about the strictness of the 1200 SAT score, but I do know if you've taken the mcat already you can use that instead of the SAT

Hi Im a californian resident, but doing my undergraduate study from University of Mumbai, India.
Biomedical Engineering, Final year.
I havnt given SAT or MCAT,
I have given GRE...Are SAT scores mandatory?
Also the criteria "US or Canadian University?"
Help

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to Temple this year as well. Is there anyone on here who has been successful in their BCMS admissions? I have well over their stated requirements, but as a senior in college who is graduating a year early, I am grossly lacking in the "life experiences" that so many programs stress. Any information about Temple would be appreciated - especially from younger applicants!

I'm applying to Temple this year as well. Is there anyone on here who has been successful in their BCMS admissions? I have well over their stated requirements, but as a senior in college who is graduating a year early, I am grossly lacking in the "life experiences" that so many programs stress. Any information about Temple would be appreciated - especially from younger applicants!

The problem will be that BCMS and other similar career-changer post-bacs are looking for people who *have* been out in the world for a while, and are switching to medicine. Would it be possible to simply knock out all of the pre-requisites at your current school (instead of graduating early) so that you don't have to apply to a new program?

Just applied to the program and was reading up on the brochure where it states that the minimum undergrad GPA is a 3.3, now is that science of over all?

Does anyone know when we're supposed to start hearing back? Perhaps based on older threads. I tried calling the admissions office, but all they told me was that it takes a "while".

It does take a while. They wait until the end of the cycle to see all (or at least most) of the applications before they send interview invites. If you get an invite, it means they want you and as long as you don't show up and act like a total bizzaro they will accept you.

If you think there is a problem with your app being complete, I would def call and ask them to confirm. The people that work in the office are super nice and accommodating, so I don't think they would be annoyed.

To give an idea for the ACMS program-- I knew people that applied in January and didn't hear back with an invite until May. I also know people who applied in May and heard back a week later. As long as you aren't rejected, then you're okay!

Just applied to the program and was reading up on the brochure where it states that the minimum undergrad GPA is a 3.3, now is that science of over all?

Supposedly both... but those are more guidelines for the applicant and not like they won't read your app if you have a 3.2. There are a couple people here with slightly less in one area, but they seem to compensate for it in another area (like standardized test scores, experience, or background etc). Don't overthink it. I mean, be honest and put your best foot forward.... make a compelling, persuasive argument as to why you should be an MD.

It does take a while. They wait until the end of the cycle to see all (or at least most) of the applications before they send interview invites. If you get an invite, it means they want you and as long as you don't show up and act like a total bizzaro they will accept you.

If you think there is a problem with your app being complete, I would def call and ask them to confirm. The people that work in the office are super nice and accommodating, so I don't think they would be annoyed.

To give an idea for the ACMS program-- I knew people that applied in January and didn't hear back with an invite until May. I also know people who applied in May and heard back a week later. As long as you aren't rejected, then you're okay!

Are you a student at Temple? I'm curious because I actually called the admissions office last week, and the lady on the phone told me that the applications are rolling. I'm not sure if they have changed it from previous years or if the lady made a mistake...

I applied in October and called last week to inquire. I then received an email saying that I am still under review. I think it is just a really long process. I think you need to just believe that no news is good news.

Are you a student at Temple? I'm curious because I actually called the admissions office last week, and the lady on the phone told me that the applications are rolling. I'm not sure if they have changed it from previous years or if the lady made a mistake...

Sorry, you're right...my post wasn't clear. It is rolling, but I was trying to emphasize that they are stingy with sending out invites so early in the cycle. Lots of people I know who did the prog that applied early didn't hear back for months and were accepted no problem.

The website lists three interview dates, two of which have already passed. I also applied in the fall and have not heard anything.

i applied at the beginning of February for BCMS, interviewed last week, and accepted this past friday.

Reactions: 1 user
I just spoke with the admissions office. The dates posted on the website are for the BCMS program. The interview dates have not been determined and when they are they will be placed in the TBD spots on the site.

They also informed me that the applications are constantly under review and will be looked at all the way until the end unless you receive a rejection email. I hope this helps some of you out.

Anyone from BCMS receive an interview for the last interview date?

Nope, not yet. I'm waiting for a response for BCMS as well.

My application wasnt complete (i was waiting on one letter of recommendation), and i called and said that i was going to be in town for a work meeting and that if it was possible, could they review my app and let me know if i would be asked to interview. They called me back that afternoon inviting me for an interview without a completed app. this was back in early february.

I think they are just really disorganized at temple. Perhaps you could go my route, but be careful to be tactful. Also, i would only do that if you are a strong applicant, if you are borderline, i would wait for them to come to you, but if you are 3.7+ i would be proactive.

Has anyone who's applied for the ACMS program hear back yet? Have they had any interviews thus far for it?

Has anyone who's applied for the ACMS program hear back yet? Have they had any interviews thus far for it?

I was complete about 3 to 4 weeks ago, I have heard nothing yet....in their website the interviews dates for ACMS are still TBD.

EDIT: Nothing to see here.

Has anyone applying to BCMS heard anything regarding an interview? They definitely seem a bit disorganized.

I called today to see if there was still going to be a March 12th date and to see if an invite might be extended since that date is just around the corner. I was told that they weren't sure and that the coordinator had been out of the office for the week so it was unlikely. I was also told that they may have a couple more interview dates coming up due to the number of applicants...

I hung up more anxious than before I called. At this rate, who knows if my application will even be read... ?

Hmmm...that's really interesting. I am still waiting to hear about whether an interview invite will be extended as well. It does seem a little disorganized- I had sent all my stuff in at the end of January and was only able to find out last week that a LOR had been lost somewhere and needed to be re-sent.

I'd love to know about the interview next week though. I'm on the West Coast, so last minute travel arrangements to Philly aren't super easy :/

For those of you still waiting to hear about the BCMS program, I interviewed in early February and was accepted shortly after. Your best bet is talking to Grace Hershman who is the program director. She is very nice and super knowledgable about everything with the program. But speaking from my interactions and my interview the program seems to be set up and organized very well. Don't worry too much, I would just try to wait and talk to the program director when she is back in the office. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

From my experience and others, we haven't been allowed to talk to Grace Hershman... all our questions are answered by the office staff.

Anyone hear back from ACMS? My application must have been complete for a few weeks now.

so based on last year's thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=699289&page=2) it doesn't seem like they'll get back until april at the earliest.

also, from what i'm seeing (and to my untrained investigative eyes), they aren't entirely through with the BCMS apps. and grace seems to be the overall director for both bcms and acms, so i don't think they have touched the acms apps yet.

i hope this helps a little.

and before i get blasted by someone in the *know*, i am just speculating. just had to throw it out there.

and before i get blasted by someone in the *know*, i am just speculating. just had to throw it out there.

Yea, thats also what I gathered from last year. It seems like they don't even bother going through ACMS applications until they're completely done with BCMS. It looks like it will be mid-April before ACMS applicants start to hear anything since apparently there will likely be another BCMS interview date at the end of March or beginning of April.

As of today, there ***may*** be another interview date for BCMS... :/

funny... most people don't get it ;)

For those who are applying to ACMS, how long after you first submitted your application were you listed as "Complete?"