Temple Univ. Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
from what i've "heard" the interview is a formality; they will accept you, unless something comes up during the interview that makes them not like you

It definitely used to be that way, but it seems like they've gotten more selective in the last couple years. Still seems like more than half of those interviewed get in.

By the way, have any BCMSers gotten their official letters/emails yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I received an invitation for an interview yesterday. I submitted my application mid-Dec, but it was not marked complete and ready for review until the first week of Jan.

My one recommendation: Apply early!!!! Application opens in Oct. Don't wait until Mar/April to apply because I am sure the pure volume of applications they receive must become overwhelming over time. I will let you know how my interview goes. I do not have any information about how many people apply and how many are accepted. Sorry about that. It's a wonderful program. I hope I can get in.

Reactions: 3 users
It definitely used to be that way, but it seems like they've gotten more selective in the last couple years. Still seems like more than half of those interviewed get in.

By the way, have any BCMSers gotten their official letters/emails yet?

i'm also a BCMS applicant who was waiting for a decision this week, but nope, i haven't received an official letter or e-mail yet. when you called grace this week, did she happen to mention a timeframe that we're supposed to receive decision letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm also a BCMS applicant who was waiting for a decision this week, but nope, i haven't received an official letter or e-mail yet. when you called grace this week, did she happen to mention a timeframe that we're supposed to receive decision letters?
When did you interview?

I'm probably overthinking but was complete earlyish February and wondering if they passed over my app- anyone know if they do silent rejection?
I was complete mid-January. Since they are rolling, and they've invited people complete in February so I have a feeling they might've already silently rejected me. I think it's still early to say the same for you, they might not have gotten to your app yet though, good luck!

When did you interview?
a month ago. decisions were delayed because of snow, but the BCMS admission committee supposedly met last friday. so i had been expecting something this week, but i guess not yet.

I was complete mid-January. Since they are rolling, and they've invited people complete in February so I have a feeling they might've already silently rejected me. I think it's still early to say the same for you, they might not have gotten to your app yet though, good luck!

Vm783 above was complete in January though, so they're not going entirely chronological. Let's just keep our fingers crossed (maybe ill scour last years thread for the silent rejection question).

a month ago. decisions were delayed because of snow, but the BCMS admission committee supposedly met last friday. so i had been expecting something this week, but i guess not yet.
Do you live in the area, as in Philly? If they are going snail mail route then perhaps early next week you may receive your letter.

I didn't press her too hard on that, sorry I can't be more helpful. They're apparently still working and want to inform all of us as one group. I think some of the chatter on this forum a little bit back said that someone heard it would be today, but apparently that wasn't the case.

Do you live in the area, as in Philly? If they are going snail mail route then perhaps early next week you may receive your letter.

I'm pretty sure that decisions are sent by both snail mail and email.

He said interview invites will be going out throughout May and June. He also said rejection letters can be sent at any time but you can be waiting up until July to get one. I think we just have to wait.

^^ so this thread is actually the one used last cycle, and this seems to answer my question, in case anyone else was wondering.
@doctordoctor14

Reactions: 1 user
So I guess for those that were complete in February, like myself, perhaps give it another month. If I don't hear back in a month, I'm going to assume a silent rejection. I think they send out hard rejections in one batch at the very end of the cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I went to print my application, there was no paragraph formatting? Is this normal? I'm freaking out. :(

When I went to print my application, there was no paragraph formatting? Is this normal? I'm freaking out. :(

Yeah, I sorta freaked out the first time I saw that too. I'm pretty sure it's normal, and I'm sure the admissions committee takes it into account when they are reading the essays. Don't worry! :)

Yeah, I sorta freaked out the first time I saw that too. I'm pretty sure it's normal, and I'm sure the admissions committee takes it into account when they are reading the essays. Don't worry! :)

But I didn't even indent like most people do between paragraphs. I just did a double space between paragraphs, so without formatting it just looks like a HUGE paragraph. :(

But I didn't even indent like most people do between paragraphs. I just did a double space between paragraphs, so without formatting it just looks like a HUGE paragraph. :(

I think everyone's essays look like a huge paragraph (that's what mine looked like when I printed it), so you're all good!

Do the adcom really read through these forums? I think I saw a post somewhere talking about how people were paranoid about what they say on the forums because the adcom read through them. I hope I'm not revealing anything about myself that I'm not supposed to be...but I guess it's too late since you can't delete things.

Do the adcom really read through these forums? I think I saw a post somewhere talking about how people were paranoid about what they say on the forums because the adcom read through them. I hope I'm not revealing anything about myself that I'm not supposed to be...but I guess it's too late since you can't delete things.

I think there is a possibility that this is true, however, we are just motivating each other to stay positive during this months while admissions are actively going through the completed applications. I don't think you're revealing anything about yourself that you're not suppose to be. It's normal human being reaction wanting to know when other's application were completed and when they received the interview invite.

I was complete Feb 27th.

Mine was completed March 9th. I believed, if its meant for me to get into the program, it will happen. If not, then its not. No need to think or worry too much. I did my best and that's all that matters.

For those applicants who were completed in the earlier months, don't lose hope! As long as you haven't received the official denial letter, you still hold a chance. There are more than one admissions in the committee. Each person works at different pace. You might not receive anything now, but maybe you will hear back in a few more weeks. Think and be positive!

Lol dw. If anything, your posts are helpful and supportive, so it would only make adcoms like you.

Thanks! Congrats to you too! I don't mind sharing, I actually posted about my stats a couple pages earlier in this thread. Stats: cGPA 3.68, sGPA 3.46; MCAT 33 (PS 9, VR 13, BS 11). How about you?
Oh wow! your stats are so good. You sure you need this postbacc?

I was complete Feb 27th.
When they send their first wave of acceptances there will be a bunch of happy posts on here. So the silence isn't cause for worry, they probably are far from a full class right now. Especially for ACMS.

Last edited:
How is this not fair..? lol
Because I feel this type of program appeals to those applicants who are in a gray area 3-3.4 GPA and who would have trouble getting in regular cycle. People with 3.6 applying here makes me sick almost, but hey this is a free country :)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I feel, but med school apps are such a crapshoot that there are plenty of 3.6+ rejects. Everyone has a reason for wanting to do a postbacc and all of the good postbaccs are pretty competitive.

Yeah. I haven't applied to med school yet, but one of my friends applied this cycle and her experience hasn't been the best. Honestly, my stats are slightly below average for the average student accepted to med school, my EC's are probably average (and I don't have research experience, so I know that that's a minus). My biggest asset (I believe) is my unique life experiences that lead me to want to become a doctor. I don't think there are many people who can say that they've gone through something similar, and it should definitely stand out in my personal statement.

My friend, who applied this cycle, probably has similar stats to me (I think her sGPA may be slightly higher, like 3.6), probably average extracurriculars (as compared to the rest of the applicant pool), decent LORs. I know for certain that she also has a very unique personal statement because she has been through some really rough experiences. She got, I think, 9 interviews and she's been waitlisted to 2 and hasn't heard from others. She got interviews at some great schools too. The percentage of acceptances after the interview stage is not the most promising. And there really are a lot of qualified people that don't get into med school.

It is possible that I could be accepted to a med school this upcoming cycle if I apply broadly and early. But with a program like this, I can reduce my chances of needing to take 2 gap years if it doesn't work out. This program is really great, and I really think that a post-bac would help me prepare even better for med school.

Maybe you guys didn't need to or want to hear all of this, but these are considerations I made when I decided to apply to this program.

I honestly wish you all the best of luck with hearing back from this program. Even if it doesn't work out, perhaps there are other ways to boost GPA if that's what you are concerned about (taking non-degree undergrad science courses at a local 4 year university? doing something like Harvard Extension? I'm sure there are a variety of ways out there).

Last edited:
Oh, and just a general PSA before I forget: I had trouble finding any sort of definitive info on the financing of the program when I was deciding whether or not to apply and there is some inaccurate info earlier in the thread (and other ACMS threads). So to clear things up (if you aren't outright paying for the program), you can get 12.5k in Stafford loans if you haven't already reached the undergrad limit. Everything else needs to be covered by private loans. I called the financial aid office and they said only Sallie Mae knows the program and regularly approves loans for post-bacc students.

Reactions: 1 users
x

Last edited:
@sunshinesoup you mentioned Harvard Extension, which I was not familiar with before. I am having trouble finding a thread or information about the program for applicants who have completed requirements. Do you know anything about this or can you point me to one (anyone)? Thanks!

I actually don't know much about Harvard Extension, but I think you're right that the premedical program they have is for people who haven't completed all the requirements. They do have a list of all the medical science classes that you could take that could help your undergrad sGPA (the list includes the prereqs but also other science courses). If there are classes on there that you haven't taken already (immunology, microbiology, cancer bio, etc.), it may be a good idea to take those classes as a non-degree seeking student and boost your undergrad GPA.

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/courses/subject/medical-sciences

I know the UPenn program (pre-health specialized studies) has you take courses that also count towards your undergrad GPA, and you gain research or clinical experience through the program as well.

These podiatry emails are killing me.. Every time I get an email with Temple in the subject my heart skips a beat.

In the "letters of recommendation" section under the "materials received" how many "Y" are you supposed to have? one Y for everything or separate Ys? Cheers.

I actually don't know much about Harvard Extension, but I think you're right that the premedical program they have is for people who haven't completed all the requirements.

your gpa is killer! you'd definitely get into med school this cycle if you chose to apply, but I see the perks of doing a program like this one too. those aamc statistics are worrying...

i'm sure you mentioned it, but were you invited for the first May interview date?

In the "letters of recommendation" section under the "materials received" how many "Y" are you supposed to have? one Y for everything or separate Ys? Cheers.
Separate Y's for each document.

your gpa is killer! you'd definitely get into med school this cycle if you chose to apply, but I see the perks of doing a program like this one too. those aamc statistics are worrying...

i'm sure you mentioned it, but were you invited for the first May interview date?

Late April. I believe other than the February date (was that only a couple of ACMSers?), this is the second interview date.

Lol initially I thought that medschoolhopeful11345 quotes and answered his/her own question but now i realize there are multiple medicalschoolhopefuls haha

Reactions: 3 users
I applied using my AMCAS, so I didn't manually upload anything but my resume and my SAT scores. How long did it take for you guys to get marked complete? Sorry if this was already mentioned in the thread.