Temple Univ. Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I had pretty much given up on Temple since I applied relatively early (complete 2/11) but I just got an interview invite for July 1! There's still hope y'all!
Congratulations!! Good luck on your interview!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how competitive the process is? ( how many apply, how many get interviews, and out of the interviews - how many get accepted?)

I can't seem to find the info for that on their site.

Does anyone know how competitive the process is? ( how many apply, how many get interviews, and out of the interviews - how many get accepted?)

I can't seem to find the info for that on their site.
Numbers are hard to get. But if you aggregate the anecdotal data, it seems that this program is only slightly less competitive than applying to med school (MD.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Numbers are hard to get. But if you aggregate the anecdotal data, it seems that this program is only slightly less competitive than applying to med school (MD.)

Do you know if you get an interview invite, is there a decent/good/very likely chance of acceptance? I know that some MD programs like Tulane have a hard to get interview but will accept 70-80% whereas Drexel interviews a lot (900-1k OOS) and doesn't accept as much in comparison.

Currently am about to start a post bacc in June but received a ACSM interview today. Withdrawing from the program after classes start = 5-10k termination fee.

good luck guys!
it looks like some interviews were sent out today, and i didn't get one. i still have hope! hopefully its not the last round of invites to go out..

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know if you get an interview invite, is there a decent/good/very likely chance of acceptance? I know that some MD programs like Tulane have a hard to get interview but will accept 70-80% whereas Drexel interviews a lot (900-1k OOS) and doesn't accept as much in comparison.

Currently am about to start a post bacc in June but received a ACSM interview today. Withdrawing from the program after classes start = 5-10k termination fee.
Ah, decisions, decisions... congratulations on the interview invite though!!

Dr.PearlJam, hopefully they still have more interview invites coming up and we both get invites.... I'm still anxiously waiting/hoping

Reactions: 1 users
Ah, decisions, decisions... congratulations on the interview invite though!!

Dr.PearlJam, hopefully they still have more interview invites coming up and we both get invites.... I'm still anxiously waiting/hoping

Good luck to you too!

My stats are right about at their average acceptance for ACSM class.

If the interview dates are on track with what their website says, it looks like there is one interview day left to be offered. I'm hoping for a miracle, but otherwise it doesn't look promising

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might be wrong, and this isn't something I've seen addressed in this forum but...

It seems like most of the interviews/acceptances go to qualified people who have already applied to medical school in this previous cycle and have been unsuccessful? Or do you think its an equal mix of both? I didn't apply to medical school yet (only recently took my MCAT) and am wondering whether I'm viewed as a preemptive applicant as my stats are slightly above average too.

[If it is the case that they prefer those who've already applied, I feel like Temple would state that more clearly to applicants... Tulane's program is quite openly targeted towards unsuccessful med applicants, for instance.]

So I had pretty much given up on Temple since I applied relatively early (complete 2/11) but I just got an interview invite for July 1! There's still hope y'all!

Would you mind sharing us ur stats?

I might be wrong, and this isn't something I've seen addressed in this forum but...

It seems like most of the interviews/acceptances go to qualified people who have already applied to medical school in this previous cycle and have been unsuccessful? Or do you think its an equal mix of both? I didn't apply to medical school yet (only recently took my MCAT) and am wondering whether I'm viewed as a preemptive applicant as my stats are slightly above average too.
How are your ECs? Most of the applicants interviewed seem to have pretty stellar ECs (the ones that have shared anyway.) Basically they seem to look for the kinds of applicants that any medical school looks for (albeit with slightly lower stats.)

How are your ECs? Most of the applicants interviewed seem to have pretty stellar ECs (the ones that have shared anyway.) Basically they seem to look for the kinds of applicants that any medical school looks for (albeit with slightly lower stats.)
Yeah good point. I think my ECs are the strongest part of my app. definitely have other weaknesses though :)

I received a packet in the mail from Temple. I got excited until I saw it was from their podiatry school. I didn't apply there but seems like they used my information from the ACMS application to market their podiatry school to me. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I could also do without receiving their emails from their podiatry school too.

Edit: nothing wrong with podiatry school but they should have gotten my consent.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I received a packet in the mail from Temple. I got excited until I saw it was from their podiatry school. I didn't apply there but seems like they used my information from the ACMS application to market their podiatry school to me. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I could also do without receiving their emails from their podiatry school too.
Hint hint nudge nudge

Haha that's kind of funny though if they just sent you that for no reason

Are they having any interview dates in June? Seems like they are already inviting people for a July interview date when nobody mentioned anything about June and someone received a May 21st invite only 2 weeks ago.

To those who have applied AMCAS and also the post bacc program - you did NOT submit the sGPA calculator, right? It definitely says that you don't need it in the directions, but its been months and my app still isn't complete.

Hey everyone. As I said in a previous post, if you applied via AMCAS we DO still need your sGPA calculator. Keep in mind you have until June 8th to submit all the supplemental materials.

Wow, so even if I submit now I am probably out of the running since it is so late...that's what I get for following the directions

For ACMS applicants to TUSM for 2015 application cycle: If you applied to Temple School of Medicine through AMCAS, we will use your validated AMCAS application and the letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf through AMCAS, we will accept your AMCAS validated grades in lieu of a transcript and MCAT scores. Your validated AMCAS grades will be used in lieu of the required SGPA calculator. We do require that you submit a Resume and SAT/ ACT score validation through “Send-Us-Stuff”.

Wow, so even if I submit now I am probably out of the running since it is so late...that's what I get for following the directions

For ACMS applicants to TUSM for 2015 application cycle: If you applied to Temple School of Medicine through AMCAS, we will use your validated AMCAS application and the letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf through AMCAS, we will accept your AMCAS validated grades in lieu of a transcript and MCAT scores. Your validated AMCAS grades will be used in lieu of the required SGPA calculator. We do require that you submit a Resume and SAT/ ACT score validation through “Send-Us-Stuff”.

The directions are outdated. Unfortunately, it costs money to update the website and, as a result, it can only be updated once a year. Perhaps you should have checked with admissions as to why your application had not been marked complete after months of waiting instead of assuming that all was well in spite of the fact you were never marked complete.

When I submitted my application back in March, I also emailed Grace Hershman to make sure she had received all the files. She emailed back stating I need to send the sGPA excel sheet. Once I sent it in, I received a complete email a few days later

The directions are outdated. Unfortunately, it costs money to update the website and, as a result, it can only be updated once a year. Perhaps you should have checked with admissions as to why your application had not been marked complete after months of waiting instead of assuming that all was well in spite of the fact you were never marked complete.

Yeah it costs money to apply too...just needed to vent a little bit, oh well, guess i am pretty much out

Wow. I feel for you @farnell.
Can't believe that someone self-representing the school would have such a response to farnell's situation. Yeah it probably is her fault that she followed the directions posted on their site.

Yeah, really sorry to hear that @farnell, that's definitely on them.

As much as I advocate taking person responsibility, I don't think it's the applicants job to make sure the school isn't screwing up... @bruno13

As much as I advocate taking person responsibility, I don't think it's the applicants job to make sure the school isn't screwing up... @bruno13
Of course it is an issue that the website is outdated. That does not, however, make up for lack of follow up after "months" of waiting. This is a small program that gets many applicants and follow up is crucial.

Of course it is an issue that the website is outdated. That does not, however, make up for lack of follow up after "months" of waiting. This is a small program that gets many applicants and follow up is crucial.
Fair enough

I applied exactly two months ago, with my app a little late to begin with I just figured the turnaround time for completion was just really slow. While Temple could have just sent an e-mail to all of the applicants, I am also at fault, so no need to argue. Good luck to everyone!

@bruno13, I agreed what you said that follow up is crucial. If its important to the applicant, it make sense for the applicant to follow up in a week or two to make sure all documents are submitted. It's just you could have worded your response to farnell in a more empathetic way. Applications is a daunting process and also frustrating. All of us does not know that the information on the website is outdated or updated once a year due to cost expense so we follow the instructions from the website assuming its correct.

@farnell, i dont think you should give up yet. Like Bruno said, you have until June 8th to submit the sGPA excell sheet online and also email to them.

has anyone received a rejection notice? or an acceptance notice? I dont understand why Temple isnt more organized about letting people know their status. Some people, I assume, will have to move and find apartments or even move their entire family across the country. I would prefer to receive a rejection notice upfront than keep thinking of the possibility that I will be accepted.

So just from looking around it seems like everyone that's gotten into this program has taken the MCAT and got >30. Has anyone gotten in with just an SAT score?

So just from looking around it seems like everyone that's gotten into this program has taken the MCAT and got >30. Has anyone gotten in with just an SAT score?
More like >33

has anyone received a rejection notice? or an acceptance notice? I dont understand why Temple isnt more organized about letting people know their status. Some people, I assume, will have to move and find apartments or even move their entire family across the country. I would prefer to receive a rejection notice upfront than keep thinking of the possibility that I will be accepted.
No I think rejection emails cost money so idk if they will send those out.

lol jk ofcourse, but I think they usually send rejections very late (like July) according to other years

I was really hoping to get in last year to this program and I was pretty bummed out when I was rejected without even getting an interview which was pretty discouraging. However, this cycle while pursing another smp I was able to get into even better medical schools (in my own opinion) so everything worked out. Those that didnt get in this year, dont be discouraged! It really doesnt mean anything, and things will work out in other ways if you work hard.

I was really hoping to get in last year to this program and I was pretty bummed out when I was rejected without even getting an interview which was pretty discouraging. However, this cycle while pursing another smp I was able to get into even better medical schools (in my own opinion) so everything worked out. Those that didnt get in this year, dont be discouraged! It really doesnt mean anything, and things will work out in other ways if you work hard.
Congratulations! Which SMP did you attend, if you don't mind me asking?

Does anyone have any approximate numbers on the interview versus acceptance ratio?

This isn't a program to even remotely rely on.

Reactions: 3 users
This isn't a program to even remotely rely on.

And I mean no disrespect by liking the above. It's just that the seats are super limited and the bombardment with apps is high d/t the provisional acceptance to their MS. I mean, you might as well think of it as actually applying to med school.

And I mean no disrespect by liking the above. It's just that the seats are super limited and the bombardment with apps is high d/t the provisional acceptance to their MS. I mean, you might as well think of it as actually applying to med school.

Temple SOM 2014 average GPA: 3.68
Temple ACMS 2014 average GPA: 3.55
Temple SOM 2014 average MCAT: 31.6
Temple ACMS 2014 average MCAT: 30.2

This is literally the only difference: a moderately lower GPA. A very damaged GPA would probably have more success with Georgetown, Cincinnati, etc. I would argue their is no meaningful difference in MCAT scores. The rest of your app will be scrutinized as closely as any other potential medical student.

Does anyone know if not having an MCAT score will put you at a disadvantage for the ACMS program applications?

Does anyone know if not having an MCAT score will put you at a disadvantage for the ACMS program applications?
Yes and no. With a very high gpa I dont think it will hurt you. Otherwise a good MCAT will help your application

Yes and no. With a very high gpa I dont think it will hurt you. Otherwise a good MCAT will help your application
A person with a very high GPA probably has no business applying to this program, depending on how you define it.

A person with a very high GPA probably has no business applying to this program, depending on how you define it.
I meant a good amount higher than their averages. It's well known that getting into med school is difficult, so someone with even a high gpa and a decent MCAT could have trouble getting in the normal way. In this way, getting in here with only a high gpa makes sense

I meant a good amount higher than their averages. It's well known that getting into med school is difficult, so someone with even a high gpa and a decent MCAT could have trouble getting in the normal way. In this way, getting in here with only a high gpa makes sense
It seems many of the matriculants to this program were 3.6+ this cycle, this is true.

Is this to be sent from me or SAT and ACT 's sent directly from texting co's? Thank you

anybody else still waiting for a decision post interview? Interviewed in May but no response yet unfortunately :(

Last edited: