Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone looking at housing: I'm local. From what all my friends have said everywhere in the city you are going to be paying about a grand probably more and can't really have a car in most places, but at least you walk everywhere. Fishtown is the place a lot of my working friends are moving but it's pricey.
I've been looking in Manayunk (where most students live) it's a 15 minute drive in the morning to class or you can take the train. And rent runs between 500-700 if you live with people. It's also SUCH a fun place to live and the move in dates I was looking at was May 15th. I'll be looking for roommates so if anyone is interested let me know!

Anyone not getting an email yet: Don't worry. Last year they were replacing spots a week before the start date. Hope you hear good news soon!

Not disagreeing with you since you're local, but in the current post-bacc class, only a handful of people lived in Manayunk (I think around 6 or 7). I'm guessing your friends may have been referring to the dental students? Our living locations were scattered...some lived at home, a handful in Manayunk, a chunk in Center City, a few in East Falls, and some near Temple main campus. I definitely agree that Manayunk is cheaper though! And it's also a great place to hang out for those who live there. Just that our class as a whole rarely ever hung out there. It was mostly in Center City.
But yes, it's about a 15min drive for those who plan to have cars, but will definitely be more inconvenient for those who take public transportation as the regional rail does not have a very frequent schedule. Just a warning, as with any city, parking will be a HUGE pain in the ass if you plan on hanging out in CC with your car. Also, unless you plan on moving your car every few hours for street parking around Temple, a Temple parking permit will cost extra

Also, personal plug, I'm trying to find someone to take over my lease May 1 lol dunno if I'm allowed to post more info on here, but it's a 2bed2bath in a great location with a working apt-mate. PM me if you're interested or just want more info :) (or someone make a new post-bacc Facebook group and I'll post there)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you guys create a facebook group yet? I know it was really helpful for us before we got to the school to help with living arrangements, questions, and other miscellaneous items

Not disagreeing with you since you're local, but in the current post-bacc class, only a handful of people lived in Manayunk (I think around 6 or 7). I'm guessing your friends may have been referring to the dental students? Our living locations were scattered...some lived at home, a handful in Manayunk, a chunk in Center City, a few in East Falls, and some near Temple main campus. I definitely agree that Manayunk is cheaper though! And it's also a great place to hang out for those who live there. Just that our class as a whole rarely ever hung out there. It was mostly in Center City.
But yes, it's about a 15min drive for those who plan to have cars, but will definitely be more inconvenient for those who take public transportation as the regional rail does not have a very frequent schedule. Just a warning, as with any city, parking will be a HUGE pain in the ass if you plan on hanging out in CC with your car. Also, unless you plan on moving your car every few hours for street parking around Temple, a Temple parking permit will cost extra

Also, personal plug, I'm trying to find someone to take over my lease May 1 lol dunno if I'm allowed to post more info on here, but it's a 2bed2bath in a great location with a working apt-mate. PM me if you're interested or just want more info :) (or someone make a new post-bacc Facebook group and I'll post there)
So where do u think is the best place to live if youre taking public transportation to and from school?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance on Monday, and I'm looking for roommates in Center City, let me know if you guys are interested!

So where do u think is the best place to live if youre taking public transportation to and from school?

If you don't have a car, I'd suggest living near the Broad Street Line. The Allegheny stop (which is on the BSL) is literally right outside the dental school so it's pretty convenient. If you plan to live in East Falls or Manayunk, which are cheaper for rent, there is public transportation from there, but that part of the train system (Regional Rail) does not come as often so you have to time your arrival/departure accordingly. Or just living somewhere on the main SEPTA lines is fine. (SEPTA is the subway system, if you didn't know)

I just remembered we have someone who lives in Fairmount as well. And I know some dental students are there too. Sounds like a good place to live and it's right on the BSL, so that's another option.

p.s.- invite me to the facebook group so I can pawn off my room!! lol it's awesome, I swear (it's in Chinatown btw. and now all my classmates are gonna know who I am :p )

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question for current students. I know it is recommended you have the 2oAA before you start the program. But if I have to re-take and I happen to get accepted into this program, is it possible to study for during the summer semester? Thanks! @PaulH @LauRDH

For us, the summer semester was the busiest, so I wouldn't suggest it. I don't know if they're going to switch around the curriculum, but you'll know once you get into the summer session what your schedule will be like and gauge if it's doable or not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the earliest re-take-er we had did it in October.

Was monday the only day this week that a round of acceptances were sent out? The wait has been killing me :( I hope they are not going in chronological order of the interviews

Was monday the only day this week that a round of acceptances were sent out? The wait has been killing me :( I hope they are not going in chronological order of the interviews
I'm right there with you!! I got an email back from Joann yesterday saying acceptances are "ongoing". My interview group was 3/27/2016 and 6/14 were accepted.

I'm right there with you!! I got an email back from Joann yesterday saying acceptances are "ongoing". My interview group was 3/27/2016 and 6/14 were accepted.

how do you know 6 out of 14 were accepted? did joann tell you?

I was accepted, but I will be withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck!

Last edited:
I didn't receive any email from Joann at all, haha guess that doesn't bode well for me.

No there is no chronological order. They view all the applicants at the same time. I interviewed on the last possible day 4/1/16 and I got an acceptance on Monday. I am withdrawing my acceptance, as I was pulled off the waitlist at another school, so keep your heads up!

Our interview group exchanged contact information, so when they got accepted they responded in our group. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who used the Sallie Mae loan during the post-bac which loan option did you use? There are a couple and I am not sure which one applies to our situation. Thanks!

anyone heard anything yet this week?

Last edited:
Nothing yet. :/
16u1qh.jpg

I'm sorry for those of you waiting still:(

But quick question, is anyone in the program from around the area (suburbs) that will be commuting?

I commuted from the suburbs to Temple.. did you have a question?

@LauRDH Yes! So Ive been living at Temple for four years. Moving back home is going to be a struggle.

But, I just want to know how you managed your time to study for classes?

Were you able to make it to classes/exams/clinical rotations on time?

Did you drive or take public transportation?

Add anything else I left out that I should know!

@LauRDH Yes! So Ive been living at Temple for four years. Moving back home is going to be a struggle.

But, I just want to know how you managed your time to study for classes?
- there was actually ample time in between classes to study. My commute was about an hour, but i suggest utilizing quizlet and hooking it up to your blue tooth so you can listen to your own notes on your commute.

Were you able to make it to classes/exams/clinical rotations on time?
yes, I was never late.

Did you drive or take public transportation?
I drove and parked a few blocks away from the school

Add anything else I left out that I should know!

Where are you coming from? Just curious to see how you plan on commuting :)

I'm going to be coming from Bucks County (Bensalem), its about a 45 min. drive with traffic. I will be driving as well.

Okay that sounds like such a relief. I was extremely scared I was not going to have enough time to study.

That quizlet idea sounds great!

I'm going to be coming from Bucks County (Bensalem), its about a 45 min. drive with traffic. I will be driving as well.

Okay that sounds like such a relief. I was extremely scared I was not going to have enough time to study.

That quizlet idea sounds great!
ok i drove from warminster.. took 309 down. easiest way because broad street is a disaster! 95 should be fun for your 8 am classes lol or consider taking regional rail + subway

@LauRDH Do you know any of the students living near the Einstein Medical Center area? I know this area isn't too great, but is it endurable? hahaha I only chose this area because I will not have a car so I feel like BSL will be super convenient and this apartment had furnishing for a good price.

That's a steep price for a post-bacc even if you are guaranteed an interview.

@LauRDH Do you know any of the students living near the Einstein Medical Center area? I know this area isn't too great, but is it endurable? hahaha I only chose this area because I will not have a car so I feel like BSL will be super convenient and this apartment had furnishing for a good price.
I am not too familiar with the area, but I did attend the high school right there. IMO I would not want to live there, but considering the program is only 10 months, it may be doable.

Its literally 3 weeks before the program is set to start, I think whoever has not gotten notified by this point has slim chances.

I will be dropping my spot in the post bacc program- I'm sure the seat will go towards someone amazing! Just got accepted to Maryland off of the waitlist.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! If anyone is in the program right now, can you tell us a little bit about it? Also if you are in the program, did you apply to any other dental schools and hear back from any prior to Dec 1st?

Thank you!

Hey! If anyone is in the program right now, can you tell us a little bit about it? Also if you are in the program, did you apply to any other dental schools and hear back from any prior to Dec 1st?

Thank you!
The program is awesome! I would definitely recommend this program, if you are 100% committed to dentistry, because it is heavy in terms of learning about dentistry. The dental school has reserved seats for everyone in the post-bacc program so there is absolute no competition in the program. You need 3 requirements: 20AA on DAT, 3.5 science GPA, and professionalism. It does not say guaranteed if you meet these requirements, but it seems like it is pretty much an acceptance. There is a clinic portion to the program where you get to assist currently 3rd and 4th year dental students, so that is wonderful experience that you cannot get anywhere else.

Yes, we have to apply to 4 other schools as well as Temple dental that upcoming cycle. I got 2 interviews and got accepted to one of them, so I would say this program does definitely boost your confidence and chances/resume in getting into other dental schools.

Thank you!
The only con that I can think of is the costly tuition which is 40K... But when I complete this program, I feel that I will be at a huge advantage going into D1 compared to other D1s that have not done this program, because we are learning so many dental concepts and whatnot.

Currently at Temple. If you plan on taking public transportation you have two choices. Either go center city or right outside the city. If you go with center city, realize you have to split an apartment with roommates and you will be cramped paying a premium,mount it's convenient. Otherwise, I would find an apartment north of campus. Fern rock, jenkintown, Elkins park are all on regional rail 15 min max. You will be laying the same cost for double the room and you don't need a roommate unless you want to. Downside is 25 min train ride to get into the city,

I'm sorry for those of you waiting still:(

But quick question, is anyone in the program from around the area (suburbs) that will be commuting?
I am a D1. I know several students commuting from NE suburbs. If you do it, realize that you can't go during rush hour. It will take an extra 40 minutes at the peak. Msg me if u have question I'm out of Montgomery.

Can anyone explain what your current schedule is like?

Can anyone explain what your current schedule is like?
Fall semester was: Monday - Neuroscience of Pain 10-12, Tuesday - Behavioral Health Theories 10-12 and clinic 2-5, Wednesday - Clinic 2-5, Thursday - Craniofacial Bone Biology 9-11, Regeneration of Bone and Hard Tissue 11-12, Friday - clinic 9-12.

Fall semester was: Monday - Neuroscience of Pain 10-12, Tuesday - Behavioral Health Theories 10-12 and clinic 2-5, Wednesday - Clinic 2-5, Thursday - Craniofacial Bone Biology 9-11, Regeneration of Bone and Hard Tissue 11-12, Friday - clinic 9-12.

Did you get an acceptance to Kornberg?

Did you get an acceptance to Kornberg?
We do not find out until late in the Spring semester. But if you get the 3.5 scienceGPA, 20 AA on the DAT, and professionalism, then it is an almost guaranteed acceptance to Kornberg.

When does Temple begin sending emails about this program?
Also can anyone explain to me what they mean by senior year total GPA?

"Have completed at least 32 credit hours in biology, inorganic and organic chemistry, and physics, in an undergraduate program and achieved a cumulative GPA of 2.8 with a senior year total GPA of 3.0"
from Temple's website

Are they looking at just fall semester senior year GPA? Confused

When does Temple begin sending emails about this program?
Also can anyone explain to me what they mean by senior year total GPA?

"Have completed at least 32 credit hours in biology, inorganic and organic chemistry, and physics, in an undergraduate program and achieved a cumulative GPA of 2.8 with a senior year total GPA of 3.0"
from Temple's website

Are they looking at just fall semester senior year GPA? Confused
I haven't contacted anyone from admissions but I was told by a current student (@SaeWat) that they mailed out info around mid to late February last cycle. I'm sure it'll be around that time again, specially since this program has interviews. Senior year GPA should means the GPA you acquired your last two semesters before graduation.

I haven't contacted anyone from admissions but I was told by a current student (@SaeWat) that they mailed out info around mid to late February last cycle. I'm sure it'll be around that time again, specially since this program has interviews. Senior year GPA should means the GPA you acquired your last two semesters before graduation.

I would think its the last two semester, but its saying on the website that it is a requirement before being considered for the program. Knowing interviews are given out during spring semester, I'm not sure what they mean here.

I would think its the last two semester, but its saying on the website that it is a requirement before being considered for the program. Knowing interviews are given out during spring semester, I'm not sure what they mean here.
I'm not sure what you are asking. What requirement?

ELIGIBILITY

Applicants who have applied to the Kornberg School of Dentistry Pre-doctoral Program through the American Association of Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) are eligible to be considered for this program. Applicants must also meet the following requirements for Post Baccalaureate Program application consideration:

Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university within the U.S., Canada or an equivalent ranked international university

Have completed at least 32 credit hours in biology, inorganic and organic chemistry, and physics, in an undergraduate program and achieved a cumulative GPA of 2.8 with a senior year total GPA of 3.0

Have a minimum academic average score of 18 on the Dental Admissions Test (DAT)

Submit a $50 application fee upon request from the Kornberg School of Dentistry, Office of Admissions, Diversity and Student Services.

ELIGIBILITY

Applicants who have applied to the Kornberg School of Dentistry Pre-doctoral Program through the American Association of Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) are eligible to be considered for this program. Applicants must also meet the following requirements for Post Baccalaureate Program application consideration:

Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university within the U.S., Canada or an equivalent ranked international university

Have completed at least 32 credit hours in biology, inorganic and organic chemistry, and physics, in an undergraduate program and achieved a cumulative GPA of 2.8 with a senior year total GPA of 3.0

Have a minimum academic average score of 18 on the Dental Admissions Test (DAT)

Submit a $50 application fee upon request from the Kornberg School of Dentistry, Office of Admissions, Diversity and Student Services.
Your entire GPA needs to be at least 2.8, meaning from the day you enrolled into college until now, your GPA is a minimum of 2.8 BUT your senior year (the last two semester) GPA is at least 3.0

Would anyone in this program say that participating in it helped your application a lot?

Would anyone in this program say that participating in it helped your application a lot?
Yes, I had 5 waitlists last cycle. Got an acceptance to LECOM and potential acceptance to Temple this cycle. Last year's post-bacc class had like 85% acceptance too. I'm sure our class will have around that much too.