Temple University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with Temple's post-bacc? I hear good things about it. Seems as though the price is right, compared to many of the private Eastern Seaboard schools, and Philly is definitely a town with a few good hospitals. Are there linkage programs? Some kind of fast-track to a med school? How do they do with MCAT preparation?

I'm a returning student, with a BA in a non-science field. I need to show I can carry a tough courseload of science classes. Most importantly, I want to use my time well now that I'm moving. Who can tell me some Temple stories?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Febrifuge
Has anyone had experience with Temple's post-bacc?

I do. I went through the program in 2000. There are several people in my class who went through the postbac as well. I started in May 2000, took all the prereqs, took the April MCAT, and the rest is history.

Are there linkage programs? Some kind of fast-track to a med school? How do they do with MCAT preparation?

There is a linkage program with Temple med. There are something like 5 spots reserved for postbac students. You need to have a 3.0 from undergrad, 3.5 in the postbac and at least a 9 in each section of the MCAT. If you apply for the linkage and get chosen, you automatically get an interview. There is a guy who did the postbac with me that got in through the linkage and is now a year ahead of me in med school. As far as I know you are on your own for MCAT preparation.

I'm a returning student, with a BA in a non-science field. I need to show I can carry a tough courseload of science classes. Most importantly, I want to use my time well now that I'm moving. Who can tell me some Temple stories?

I also have a BA in a non-science field and had been out of school for quite a while. As I said, I have several classmates that did the post bac with me and others that chose Drexel, PCOM, etc. I say give Dr. Nathan a call and go for it. Good luck.

ussdfiant: do you have a link to temple's program?

thanks! :D

al

Members don't see this ad :)
Defiant: thank you! I'll be talking to Dr. Nathan by phone later this week.

Can someone please tell me how competitive Temple's post bac program is? I am an underrepresented minority w/ a 3.5 GPA @ UCLA. My major is Soc. I REALLY screwed up one quarter :eek:. However, I think I totally redeemed myself. Anyway, do I have a shot at getting into Temple? I have some community volunteering experience, as well as hospital volunteering. Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by scota
Can someone please tell me how competitive Temple's post bac program is? I am an underrepresented minority w/ a 3.5 GPA @ UCLA. My major is Soc. I REALLY screwed up one quarter :eek:. However, I think I totally redeemed myself. Anyway, do I have a shot at getting into Temple? I have some community volunteering experience, as well as hospital volunteering. Thanks for the advice.

Click on the link in my other post and give Dr. Nathan a call. Best to get it straight from the horse's mouth as he is the one who decides who gets in.

Hi,

May I ask why you did you choose to do a post-bac at Temple rather than doing it at your alma mater at Penn? Thanks!

ussdfiant,

Spoke to Dr. Nathan. He was really helpful! By the way, do you know how much the program costs for an out-of-state student? Thanks....

Originally posted by scota
ussdfiant,

Spoke to Dr. Nathan. He was really helpful! By the way, do you know how much the program costs for an out-of-state student? Thanks....

Sorry, I was an in-state student. I was able to borrow $10,500 which covered tuition.

Tuition is subject to change year by year, of course, but when I spoke with Dr. Nathan a month or so ago, we were estimating that for my out-of-state self, it would be around $12k or even $13.5k, depending on whether I made it happen in 2004 or 2005. Just a very rough estimate.

I'm not sure, but it may not matter if one is in- or out-state.

Originally posted by Febrifuge
I'm not sure, but it may not matter if one is in- or out-state.

Temple is a state subsidized university. Unfortunately tuition for PA residents< tuition for non-PA residents. Sorry.