Program-Specific Info / Q's Tennessee State University Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTLetsdoit!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The TSU website says that interviews are on the third and fourth Fridays in January. Has anyone received an interview invitation, or does anyone know from previous years how far in advance they let applicants know?

Also, can anyone out there give me some advice about interviews at TSU and how to prepare?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted all my application materials back in late September, but still haven't heard anything as of yet to even confirm they have my stuff let alone an interview request. I do know they do formal in person interviews though

I talked to Maya Outlaw, the administrative assistant at TSU for the OT program, and she told me they would notify people about interviews during the first or second weeks in January. Last minute notice if you're coming from out of town.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to Maya Outlaw, the administrative assistant at TSU for the OT program, and she told me they would notify people about interviews during the first or second weeks in January. Last minute notice if you're coming from out of town.
Thank you! This is entire process is so stressful, and the waiting is killing me.

I submitted all my application materials back in late September, but still haven't heard anything as of yet to even confirm they have my stuff let alone an interview request. I do know they do formal in person interviews though
They never told me if they had received everything for my application either. I don't think they do that on their own. I called to make sure everything was there, but it was still a bit confusing and I'm not 100% sure I did everything right.

Most schools won't be back in their offices in til the 5th. So I'm sure responses won't come until then. Hopefully everyone hears great news!

Wow that's cutting it really close! I can be there in an hour and a half but that's not much time to ask off from work if you needed to! Some of my other schools will be doing interviews at that time too so I hope they don't clash!

Not really surprising, given their reputation. Luckily I live fifteen minutes away from campus, but I feel for everyone who will have to scramble just bc TSU is disorganized. I hope your interview scheduling works out!

Oh I know what you mean! I'll let you know if I hear anything. Where else did you apply?
The only other school I applied for is UT Memphis. I'm not willing to pay out-of-state tuition.
Well, at least not this time. I might be more willing if I don't get in and have to wait another year to apply again.

I feel the same way about in-state. I won't move from Nashville, and there's no way I'll pay $16,000 for Belmont. TSU is the only place I applied.

Hey guys, I just talked to the administrative assistant at TSU and she said that we will not be notified about interviews until the end of the month. The website is incorrect.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I just talked to the administrative assistant at TSU and she said that we will not be notified about interviews until the end of the month. The website is incorrect.
Thank you so much for posting that. I would have given up hope by the end of the month. Did they say when interviews will actually be? My boss does schedules by the month, so I had to ask off for the two possible Fridays this month back in mid-December.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! I did not ask. I had to leave her a voicemail, and I was unavailable when she called me back this morning.

Nope. Nothing yet. I feel weird calling again too bc I have twice already. Maybe someone else should haha she did say it would be the last two weeks.

Nope. Nothing yet. I feel weird calling again too bc I have twice already. Maybe someone else should haha she did say it would be the last two weeks.
I emailed someone. They said "the end of January" so I'm not expecting anything until the night of the 30th

I just got a call a few minutes ago inviting me to an interview on the 30th! Good luck!

I just got a call about half an hour ago for an interview on Jan 30th too!! So excited! Especially since I didn't know they only invite the top 60 applicants! Good luck everybody!

Got my interview call for the 30th!!! Congrats guys!

University: Austin Peay State University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.02 Last 60 GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9
GRE: Quantitative: 151 Verbal: 157 AW: 4.0
Extra-Curric: Volunteer Firefighter, Officer in Psychology Club, Psi Chi member, research experience, Pre-professional Society
Volunteer: 24 hours in hand-therapy, 16 hours out-patient pediatric therapy; 1 hour SNF (Sounds silly, but I had a very hard time finding a facility that regularly used an OTR instead of a COTA, which TSU will not accept. )

Applied: Tennessee State University (this is the only school I applied to because I live in Nashville, but I don't want to pay for Belmont. )
Acceptances:
Rejections:
Interviews: TSU

University: Austin Peay State University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.02 Last 60 GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9
GRE: Quantitative: 151 Verbal: 157 AW: 4.0
Extra-Curric: Volunteer Firefighter, Officer in Psychology Club, Psi Chi member, research experience, Pre-professional Society
Volunteer: 24 hours in hand-therapy, 16 hours out-patient pediatric therapy; 1 hour SNF (Sounds silly, but I had a very hard time finding a facility that regularly used an OTR instead of a COTA, which TSU will not accept. )

Applied: Tennessee State University (this is the only school I applied to because I live in Nashville, but I don't want to pay for Belmont. )
Acceptances:
Rejections:
Interviews: TSU
Impressive, best of luck! Thanks for responding!

Major: Exercise Science w/ a Pre- Occupational Therapy area
Overall GPA: 3.68
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.85/3.9
GRE: V 150, Q 137, AW 4.0
OTCAS verified Oct 9th

Observation: 16 hours in a school system grades preschool-12th grade, 23 hours in inpatient rehab, 10 hours in a skilled nursing facility, 3 hours in outpatient rehab

Work experiences: Licensed CNA for 2 years, Lifeguard for 3 years, and have worked/hold leadership at Applebee's in multiple positions for the last 4.5 years, 150 hour medical assistant internship underneath 4 nurse practitioners, 150 hour internship in progress at an outpatient rehab center with an OT

Volunteer: 48 hours Adopt a Resident Program at nursing home, 52 hours volunteering at day time work place for mentally/developmentally disabled adults

Extracurricular: Member of: The World Wildlife Foundation, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, Humane Society in my town
Certified in CPR/AED, Emergency First Aid, Administrating Emergency Oxygen, Administrating Asthma Inhaler, Epinephrine Auto Injector
Dean's List for 5 semesters

Research: Designed a research proposal/experiment involved around the effects of Pet Therapy in Occupational Therapy treatments

Does anyone know when the open house is, where it is, and what the dress code is? I was so shocked when I got the call, I didn't think to ask more about the open house.

The open house starts at 5 pm after interviews and I think it's in clement hall too, but the girl said if you had anymore questions to call Dr. Snyder. His number is on TN states OTCAS program page

Me too. I think their feed back will be really valuable. I'm with Dr Troxtel and a second year student.

Mine is with Watts and a first year student!

I definitely agree! I felt like those questions were well thought out and let the actual "me" show. Good luck to every one that interviewed! I heard decisions might not be sent out till the 1st of March from one of the first years? Hopefully not though!

How were the facilities, campus, and/or area surrounding the school for those that attended the open house?

How were the facilities, campus, and/or area surrounding the school for those that attended the open house?
The open house was mainly the professors telling everyone about themselves and then giving students a chance to ask questions about the program. It was really informative, but about the program, not the campus or the area surrounding the school. A few interesting things I learned there were that the program has 100% job placement, they will tell you what number you are on the wait-list, they will try to work with you on having your second level fieldwork in a location you want (like a certain city or state), there are a lot of opportunities for direct observation outside of the regular fieldwork, and all the professors are awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
I definitely agree! I felt like those questions were well thought out and let the actual "me" show. Good luck to every one that interviewed! I heard decisions might not be sent out till the 1st of March from one of the first years? Hopefully not though!
Goodness I hope that's not true! I thought Dr. Snyder said he would be making phone calls sometime in the next 2 weeks.

I know we're not even half way through the two weeks yet, but I'm so anxious. How is everyone else doing with the wait?

Anxious doesn't even begin to cover it!! I figure they are probably using tomorrow (their "work day") to sit down and make the decisions?! Maybe we'll hear back early next week if that's the case? Are any of y'all interviewing at Tennessee State University Health Science Center as well?

Anxious doesn't even begin to cover it!! I figure they are probably using tomorrow (their "work day") to sit down and make the decisions?! Maybe we'll hear back early next week if that's the case? Are any of y'all interviewing at Tennessee State University Health Science Center as well?
I am. I'm really hoping to know about TSU before the interview.

Actually, I'm really hoping to know about TSU tomorrow. XD I know it probably isn't going to happen, but just because the website says we'll be notified in the first week of February, I'm going to be on the edge of my seat all day.

I think you're referring to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center? I was invited for an interview but had to postpone until the regular admission interviews because I'll be out of the country. However, it's been hard to find any information about their interview process because this is the first year they're holding interviews.

Yes, UTHSC of course! I'm losing it lol!

Yes, UTHSC of course! I'm losing it lol!
In your TSU interview, did they ask what other schools you applied to? I couldn't decide if this was a trick question haha I mentioned UTHSC and my situation.

In your TSU interview, did they ask what other schools you applied to? I couldn't decide if this was a trick question haha I mentioned UTHSC and my situation.
I feel like that IS a trick question... Is there really a right way to answer that??! I was with Watt, and while she didn't ask me what other schools I applied to, she did ask me if I had interviewed at Belmont earlier that day.

I feel like that IS a trick question... Is there really a right way to answer that??! I was with Watt, and while she didn't ask me what other schools I applied to, she did ask me if I had interviewed at Belmont earlier that day.
It seems like they probably take that into consideration which doesn't seem entirely fair but at the same time it makes sense.

I'm very anxious as well. Tomorrow would be amazing to find out, but that's really quick to pick through all the applicants. And I've never heard of a school doing that in their interviews! I interviewed with Watt too, but neither her nor the second year student asked me anything about applying to other schools. Are both you guys from Tennessee? I'm from out of state already (Kentucky), so maybe it's a question just for state residents since their are quite a few other programs to choose from in Tennessee.

I could see the logic there, but I'm from Missouri... So who knows. Truthfully when the subject came up, it felt more like casual conversation than an official interview question. I felt like Watt had been overwhelmed with the amount of applicants she had seen that had been to Belmont earlier that day (went into how she could tell TSU was their second choice, etc). I think the subject being brought up actually worked to my advantage, because she seemed relieved when I told her I didn't even apply to Belmont. @flbOT35 Being from Kentucky, did you apply to Spalding University?

I'm very anxious as well. Tomorrow would be amazing to find out, but that's really quick to pick through all the applicants. And I've never heard of a school doing that in their interviews! I interviewed with Watt too, but neither her nor the second year student asked me anything about applying to other schools. Are both you guys from Tennessee? I'm from out of state already (Kentucky), so maybe it's a question just for state residents since their are quite a few other programs to choose from in Tennessee.
I am from Tennessee. I also felt like it was casual conversation but she wrote something down after it so it took me aback a little. I was with Dr. Troxtel.