(TENTATIVE) AAMC Sample FL Score Conversion Sheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatjelly

Meow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this on /r/MCAT last week and thought I'd post it here as well.

I did a thing where I averaged percent correct of the old CBTs for each section and made a chart of old vs new scores based on percentile ranking. You can see it here.

To determine your pseudo-scaled score:

1) Compare your percentage correct on the AAMC FL to the old subscale conversion sheet.

2) Determine your approximated 2015 subscores for the first three sections using the second spreadsheet.

3) Determine your approximated Psych/Soc subscore using the 2015 Biological and Biochemical Foundations or CARS score conversion chart.

4) Add up your 4 subscores to obtain a tentative total score.

5) Use the third spreadsheet to see what percentile that "total score" corresponds with.

I made this sheet using the averages of CBTs 3-11, final percentiles for the old MCAT exam, and new percentile ranks.

Let me know if I ****ed anything up. So far it's been just about spot on for one person, and literally spot on for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It looks about right to me, although CARS might be a little inflated. CARS seemed to be pretty easy on the sample test...

Also not sure how to feel about this, but I took the AAMC test and scored a 28 (504) but took the same test again two weeks later without looking at the answer key/explanations and scored 31 (508). This was before I even touched a content review book for the MCAT. I basically increased my C/P score by 10% and had a few % increase in the other subject areas. I'm not sure if this was because I was tired when I took the test the first time or what. I definitely felt more focused when taking it the second time.

Do people who make a decent score like this (i.e. ~30) on their first AAMC test typically score several points higher on the real thing or around the same score? I know this may sound like a silly question to ask...

Last edited:
Thank you, @mcatjelly. I sure hope this is accurate because my AAMC FL scores worked out to correspond to a 521! Let's hope this is how it turns out for me on Friday!

Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify, for our Psych/Soc score we should compare out % correct to either the pre-2015 Verbal or Bio percentages? I think I ended up using the verbal to convert mine but are those notoriously higher compared to the other 2 sections?

Thanks a bunch for doing this! I'll have to update what my calculated AAMC FL score was compared to my actual one when I get the scores back in August

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify, for our Psych/Soc score we should compare out % correct to either the pre-2015 Verbal or Bio percentages? I think I ended up using the verbal to convert mine but are those notoriously higher compared to the other 2 sections?

Thanks a bunch for doing this! I'll have to update what my calculated AAMC FL score was compared to my actual one when I get the scores back in August

I was originally thinking bio but when I plugged my practice scores in, it only differed by 1 point whether I used CARS or bio so given that this whole spreadsheet is based off of guesses, I don't think it would matter all that much.

Cool this helps explain what my friend got. He was confused on how to evaluate his percentages.

It's a pretty rough estimate but it seems like a lot of high scorers tend to score 5 or so points lower on the AAMC FL they take a week prior to the exam. But nonetheless, I think this curve sounds reasonable based on what we know about the new MCAT.

Thanks for doing this!

I'm not quite getting the first sheet. In the subscore conversion sheet, the last column is the percentile, and the second to the last is the % correct, right?

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this!

I'm not quite getting the first sheet. In the subscore conversion sheet, the last column is the percentile, and the second to the last is the % correct, right?

No, in the percent correct column, the left side is the lower bound and the right side is the upper bound. So like, to get a 14 on the physical sciences, you need to get somewhere between 95-97% correct. (The percentages aren't clean because they're based off averages).

I don't know if anyone's specifically updated the sample FL conversion, but I updated the sample FL -> MCAT score predictor back in September to include all the August MCAT test takers. Just plug in your percentages and it gives you a predicted score, with a "narrow" and "broad" range of scores.

Attachments

• Practice FL to MCAT Predictor ver 1.3.xlsx
    57 KB · Views: 922
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone made a direct conversion thread regarding the new scored AAMC FL? Since that scored report directly converts raw scores, that will probably be our best indicator if we have enough people who have taken it already and have scored across the board!

Has anyone made a direct conversion thread regarding the new scored AAMC FL? Since that scored report directly converts raw scores, that will probably be our best indicator if we have enough people who have taken it already and have scored across the board!
hi @pre.med2016 The latest AAMC practice test does provide a raw-to-scaled score (check out the NextStep Forum for a breakdown of the new "curve of the MCAT." However, this is JUST for one exam, and the specific raw-to-scaled score conversion for any given MCAT exam will differ. Easier MCATs will have a tougher scale while harder MCATs will have a more forgiving scale.

Be careful taking the new AAMC released exam score conversion and applying it to new tests or other companies tests. Also be wary of relying on old score converters based on obsolete/old exams (i.e. the old AAMC FLs) Most companies will have used a combination or raw data along with AAMC released data to come up with an accurate score scale for each exam they create. NextStep's full lengths all have their score conversions calculated using student and AAMC data to ensure accuracy and reliability. You can also check out the threads which outline what % of Qs a person got correct on a given practice test and then see how they did on the real thing. this is not as good as a raw-to-scale score converter, but it is better than nothing, especially for companies that do not report scaled scores.

Good luck!

I don't know if anyone's specifically updated the sample FL conversion, but I updated the sample FL -> MCAT score predictor back in September to include all the August MCAT test takers. Just plug in your percentages and it gives you a predicted score, with a "narrow" and "broad" range of scores.

This is awesome! Will you be updating it to include other MCAT takers since August 2015? If you are too busy to follow up with the project I could help out.

This is awesome! Will you be updating it to include other MCAT takers since August 2015? If you are too busy to follow up with the project I could help out.
Yea, can do! I'm still on break and it's currently -10 degrees outside, I'll try and fit it in my busy schedule ;)

Here's the updated version of the converter as promised! It has all of the 2015 data on it. No real major changes from what I can tell, scores may be slightly higher on this predictor than the previous version (overall equation for this is y= 73.355x + 455.2 vs. the old which was y= 72.938x + 455.62). Predicted C/P went down the most, but the change is still pretty small. B/B went down a little, P/S went up a little, and CARS didn't really change.

Please take this for what it's worth though. The predictor is fairly accurate for people who score around 512-520, but outside that it's not very reliable, simply because there are less data points reported outside that region. Plenty of people have also used this and scored below and above their "broad" ranges. The fate of your MCAT is not already decided by this spreadsheet.

Best of luck everyone, I'm pulling for you all!

Attachments

• Practice FL to MCAT Predictor ver 1.4.xlsx
    62 KB · Views: 913
I took the MCAT in September and scored a 496. On the Sample FL before taking the test I had scored 58/81/51/71 (%). I entered this and it gave me a broad band of 499-511 (which i unfortunately scored below).

I just took the Sample test again today and the conversion put my score at 513 when my AAMC scored FL I took last week put me at a 506. Am I entering the data wrong or does everyone's skew high?

Has anyone else tried this calculator? Accuracy?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I took the MCAT in September and scored a 496. On the Sample FL before taking the test I had scored 58/81/51/71 (%). I entered this and it gave me a broad band of 499-511 (which i unfortunately scored below).

I just took the Sample test again today and the conversion put my score at 513 when my AAMC scored FL I took last week put me at a 506. Am I entering the data wrong or does everyone's skew high?

You have taken this exam before. It will no longer be as reliable a predictor of your ability. Doing the exact same test a 2nd time is likely to end in an increased result from last time. Take this score with a grain of salt, and your true ability likely lies somewhere between the 506 on the un-scored sample exam and your repeat test.

Hope this helps, good luck!