Terrible GPA, Definite Upward Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MooMoo20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently about to become a Junior at UT Austin and being a doctor is my dream- so I was hoping someone could help me out here.

My current GPA is terrible (3.33) because I went through a mild case of depression and family problems my freshman year and completely messed up everything (including making a D in ch302).

Starting last spring however, I've gotten my life back together and started working properly. Last semester my GPA was a 3.8, and this summer I've taken six classes and made a 4.0 (including Organic Chemistry 1, Physics 1, 2, and Physics Lab 1,2).

I'm fully confident in my abilities to continue to do well in school- but I know that my freshman year might have completely killed my chances. Does anyone have any advice on what I can continue to do to become a competitive applicant (such as EC's, a possible MCAT score) or if it's over and I should start looking at something else?

I will admit though, I plan on applying to all the Texas med schools regardless.

Thanks so much for any help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm currently about to become a Junior at UT Austin and being a doctor is my dream- so I was hoping someone could help me out here.

My current GPA is terrible (3.33) because I went through a mild case of depression and family problems my freshman year and completely messed up everything (including making a D in ch302).

Starting last spring however, I've gotten my life back together and started working properly. Last semester my GPA was a 3.8, and this summer I've taken six classes and made a 4.0 (including Organic Chemistry 1, Physics 1, 2, and Physics Lab 1,2).

I'm fully confident in my abilities to continue to do well in school- but I know that my freshman year might have completely killed my chances. Does anyone have any advice on what I can continue to do to become a competitive applicant (such as EC's, a possible MCAT score) or if it's over and I should start looking at something else?

I will admit though, I plan on applying to all the Texas med schools regardless.

I would not call that GPA terrible. Low for MD, but not DO. Great MCAT and ECs would make up for it. Shadowing, research, volunteer work- do as much of that as you can while maintaining your grades. I don't know what ch302 is, but you'll need to redo if it's a med school prereq. Also, a strong PS that explains your problems as a freshman will go a long way as well. Stay positive, I think you'll be OK.

Sorry, the CH302 I was referring to was general chemistry 2. I did retake it, but only received a B+. Around what score would I need to receive on the MCAT do you think? I'm trying to get in as much volunteering as possible, but to keep up these grades I study constantly so....I'm a little unsure about how much more I can get in.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, the CH302 I was referring to was general chemistry 2. I did retake it, but only received a B+. Around what score would I need to receive on the MCAT do you think? I'm trying to get in as much volunteering as possible, but to keep up these grades I study constantly so....I'm a little unsure about how much more I can get in.

Thanks!

Yeah that's good that you're doing some volunteering. Sounds like you're rocking on the grades front, but if you're lacking on EC's, a gap year could be something to consider. I did that. I spent the last year working full time as an ER scribe with more shadowing and volunteer stuff (I had a below average GPA).

MCAT is tough. You're GPA is going up, but lets say you finish with 3.3-3.4 cGPA. Historically, applicants with a 33+ will have over 50% chance of getting in an MD school source. (that's if you're white)

Maintain your present upward trend and you should be fine with the UTx system; MCAT dependent, of course. You're also fine for any DO program right now, including mine.As per the other post, make sure you get plenty of shadowing and patient contact experience to show us you know what you're getting into, and to show off your altruims and humanism.

I've struggled with depression in the past as well, so you have my admiration. Good luck!

Can I ask which DO program you're currently in? Also, how are the chances on getting an MD/DO residency after school, and the job market for a DO?

Can I ask which DO program you're currently in? Also, how are the chances on getting an MD/DO residency after school, and the job market for a DO?
Goro is faculty at a DO School. Getting into residency is straightforward for those whose USMLE (or COMLEX) scores and clerkship evals are consistent with success in the field to which they apply. You are likely to have an excellent job market whether MD or DO.

What's your sGPA? Your GPA isn't terrible, assuming your sGPA is not significantly lower. As others said rock the MCAT if you want to apply MD, otherwise just focus on DO with TX MD schools added in depending on how things shape up. A few solid ECs will help too.

You have two more years to boost your GPA. Work the numbers and see what grades you need from now on to end up the a GPA>3.5. Get 30+ on MCAT and you should be good for MD in TX.

I think you'll be fine for Tech's HSC in Lubbock. I think UT San Antonio is right up your alley too :)

BTW: How better to relate to your patients who are enduring depression than someone who's gone through this deep dark valley...thank you for sharing your heart :thumbup:

You are going to be an amazing physician!!!