Terrible GPA, what to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdent6297

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers!

I graduated with a B.S. in Human Nutrition last year, but with a terrible GPA. At the time, I had given up hope on dentistry. I'm now working in the clinical research industry, and while it is very interesting, I feel like I'm letting myself down by not attempting D-school. So here we are:

oGPA: 2.31
sGPA is probably around there....The thing is, I've taken all prereqs, and got between B- and C's... A couple I got C- and realize I would have to retake those ones at least.

I realize that I completely screwed up my undergrad, but I honestly feel like I'm more mature to realize how important it is to get straight A's, if I were to go back. My dream would depend on it. I did not take undergrad seriously, and rarely studied. If I would have focused, I know I could have easily pulled off a 3.5+

I've looked into post-bacc (both formal and informal) as well as Master's programs. I realize that Master's GPA is separate from undergrad GPA, but wouldn't my undergrad GPA have to meet a minimum in order to not get automatically rejected??

I know that it's going to be difficult, and it will be one hell of an inspiration story if/when I eventually make it to D-school. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!! (as well as other crazy success stories)

P.S. Dental hygiene/assisting is not what I am looking for, so please do not suggest this. I truly want to go to dental school, and I know that there has to be a way..

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how to answer your question about undergrad GPA having to meet a minimum...that's a great question.

I just wanted to say it's awesome that you are taking ownership of your mistakes and are determined to set things straight. I know with your mindset, time management and discipline you will achieve amazing grades in a post bacc or masters and get to dental school. I'll be rooting for you! I love seeing people who never give up.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Do some sort of post-bac/SMP but you will 100% need a 4.o and a solid solid DAT score to accompany it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Man.. 2.31 is low... I would look into retaking some classes as well. Probably retake all the science courses, try to get a 4.o in them.. Then to be honest I would do another undergraduate degree, and would try to get a 4.o. At that point, you may be able to bring up your GPA into the low 3 something range.. At that point you may be considered. I've heard of low 3.3 to 3.1 getting into dental school. But at that point, you'd have to kill it on the DAT, and have very good interviews. Sounds like you have some good extracurriculars though, that will help. So yeah, I'd do an extra undergrad degree (to bring up you GPA) before doing a masters, or instead of doing a masters degree I were you.

Reactions: 1 users
First of all, getting into a post back our SMP program what help you out in improving your GPA. You will be fine to have a low under grad GPA, but you cannot continue this trend. Your Masters GPA has to be a lot higher higher than 3.5 or above to compensate for your low GPA in undergrad.
What are you talking about? You're not even in dental school. With a 2.31 this person won't even be considered. Most schools have a minimum GPA higher than that.

Reactions: 2 users
OP
Hello SDNers!

I graduated with a B.S. in Human Nutrition last year, but with a terrible GPA. At the time, I had given up hope on dentistry. I'm now working in the clinical research industry, and while it is very interesting, I feel like I'm letting myself down by not attempting D-school. So here we are:

sGPA is probably around there....The thing is, I've taken all prereqs, and got between B- and C's... A couple I got C- and realize I would have to retake those ones at least.

I realize that I completely screwed up my undergrad, but I honestly feel like I'm more mature to realize how important it is to get straight A's, if I were to go back. My dream would depend on it. I did not take undergrad seriously, and rarely studied. If I would have focused, I know I could have easily pulled off a 3.5+

I've looked into post-bacc (both formal and informal) as well as Master's programs. I realize that Master's GPA is separate from undergrad GPA, but wouldn't my undergrad GPA have to meet a minimum in order to not get automatically rejected??

I know that it's going to be difficult, and it will be one hell of an inspiration story if/when I eventually make it to D-school. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!! (as well as other crazy success stories)

P.S. Dental hygiene/assisting is not what I am looking for, so please do not suggest this. I truly want to go to dental school, and I know that there has to be a way..
OP,

Retake your classes first to get your GPA to at least 2.75 because most SMP and Master requires at least 2.75 GPA. Regarding the undergraduate GPA, that is best to ask the dental school itself or the SMP advisors.

I am rooting for you. Wish you the very best of luck, buddy.

OP

OP,

Retake your classes first to get your GPA to at least 2.75 because most SMP and Master requires at least 2.75 GPA. Regarding the undergraduate GPA, that is best to ask the dental school itself or the SMP advisors.

I am rooting for you. Wish you the very best of luck, buddy.

I agree about calling dental schools and seeing what their opinion is. To be honest, I have never really seen an sgpa below 2.5. I think I only heard one story from UCSF admissions where someone with that GPA getting in. They had around a 2.4 or 2.5 GPA (Mostly C's and D's) but ended up going back to school for 3 years after undergrad to bring it up to 2.8. In the years after undergrad apparently they ONLY got A's and nothing lower. The admissions officer said at first they almost rejected the application due to the 2.8 until they noticed that it was a very strong upward trend.

OP, I would suggest calling your top 5 dental schools and getting an honest opinion so that you won't waste your time spending 2 to 3 years on classes that may not pan out in the end.

Edit: I just used a GPA calulator. In order to raise his GPA by 0.5 points ( to raise it to 2.80), he needs to take 57.1 more credits with a 4.0 GPA (all A's). 57.1 units will take at least 4 terms with a minimum of 14-15 units taken per term.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone, for the encouragement! Like I said in my post, I know that I'm capable of being successful in d-school, its just a matter of what path I will take. Apparently I will need 61 hrs of 4.0 GPA to raise my GPA to a 2.8, and 103 hrs of 4.0 GPA to raise my GPA to a 3.0. I think that if I can get my GPA up to a 2.8, admins will see the strong upward trend, and coupled with a strong DAT score (20+), I just might have a shot!

So my next question is, should I repeat any pre-reqs that I received a C+/C in, or should I focus my energy/hours on upper level science courses? I know some of my pre-reqs I will have to retake, its just a matter of how many...

Any other advice will be very greatly appreciated :) I'll be contacting a few different admins later this week to see what advice they might have as well! Thanks! :)

Make sure you can handle getting a 4.0 for one semester first.
I don't think you should retake any pre-reqs unless you feel like you need the refresher. If I were you I would jump right into upper-levels that d-schools recommend or require (anatomy, physio, micro) and then branch out from there (neuro, etc.).

Retake all the prereqs you need to apply to the schools you want to apply to (C- isn't going to cut it). I'm glad you're taking responsibility for your mistakes. Your GPA is pretty awful but with your determination you'll be applying for dental school and getting interviews in no time :)! If you're willing to put in 3-5 years to fix your mistakes then by all means go for it. I almost considered a masters/postbacc but my recent DAT score tells me I don't want to do that anymore lol. I've always been told that the hardest thing to fix is GPA. If I'm told my extracurriculars are too weak I'll only need 1 yr but if my GPA were way too low (it is kinda low though) who knows how hard that is to fix.

Do admins frown upon taking classes at a regional campus vs a main campus of a 4yr university? Tuition is literally half the cost!

Reactions: 1 user
sometime you got to look at thing realistically. you graduated with a B.S. in Human Nutrition last year with a 2.3 gpa. Human Nutrition is suppose to be an easy major. if you go back you will need 4.0 on all upper level sciences classes to bring your gpa up to the bare minimum of most dental school. After that you will have to rock the dat with a minimum score of 22+. You are going to be investing a huge amount of time and money, and one mistakes will kill all your chance. you might want to look at other healthcare field, but it's your call.

Last edited:
Sorry, but if I was okay settling into another Healthcare field, I wouldn't be here... I'm working full time in the clinical research field now and sure it's interesting, but not what I want to spend 40+ years doing. Also, I took upper level science courses and all pre-requisite courses, with premed/predent students, all the while working 35 hours/week.

If my undergrad GPA represented my ability to handle upper level science courses, I wouldn't be here. But it doesn't. I was lazy and rarely studied much prior to the night before an exam. So thank you honl3 for your advice, but I think I will have a good shot, especially with a killer upward trend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but if I was okay settling into another Healthcare field, I wouldn't be here... I'm working full time in the clinical research field now and sure it's interesting, but not what I want to spend 40+ years doing. Also, I took upper level science courses and all pre-requisite courses, with premed/predent students, all the while working 35 hours/week.

If my undergrad GPA represented my ability to handle upper level science courses, I wouldn't be here. But it doesn't. I was lazy and rarely studied much prior to the night before an exam. So thank you honl3 for your advice, but I think I will have a good shot, especially with a killer upward trend!

so are you going to quit working while you go back to school? i just wanted to give you a realistic perspective on your situation. most people think there is an on and off switch that you can turn on and get straight A's. it's not that easy, that why you don't see too many people applying with 4.0 sgpa. i hope you know what you getting yourself into because it will be a long and narrow road for you. good luck on the journey tho.

Last edited:
There's no way you can work 35-40 hours a week though. If you can cut down your work and really focus on school I think you can do it :D

First of all, getting into a post back our SMP program what help you out in improving your GPA. You will be fine to have a low under grad GPA, but you cannot continue this trend. Your Masters GPA has to be a lot higher higher than 3.5 or above to compensate for your low GPA in undergrad.

A low undergrad GPA, especially the low low GPA like what the OP has, is not fine or even near acceptable.

Masters are known for grade inflation and the GPA is not combined with undergrad. Hence, it is more beneficial to do post bach to pull up that GPA.

Obviously, this guy just got into dental school and didn't start dental school for a day thought he knew the whole dental school's admission.

but honestly OP, you blame that you were working full time, lazy, crammed before tests, thats why you didnt do as well as the predent and pre med students in your class. This is just a poor excuse. if you were smart, you had to know how to manage your time. if you were smart, you had to know not to be lazy. you can't just blame that as the reason for supar performance for 4 years and you can't change anything in that four year.

to even stand a chance, aka 2.8 GPA, you need at least 2-3 years of full time school but u won't stop here. You still need masters and SMP, another 2-3 years, and DAT (are you sure you can do well with C, C-, and B- in science pre req).

don't settle on false hope. but if you want to, try out for 2 semester. I can almost assure you. Unless you have some dramatically devastating events in undergrad that hinder your performance, your performance in school now will not change a beat now.

and No, using a job as an excuse for no time to study will not cut it. this shows you can't prioritize and time manage and knows what is the most important thing to focus on.

and I think with a 2.3 GPA and being certain you can handle dental school load is an overstatement. you are about to gamble on 6 years of your life with a very little in return, most likely nothing to show for it. Possibly some student loan debt to show for it. It is on you to make this call.

In his defense, working does take up quite a bit of time away from academics but sometimes it is necessary to afford school (at least for some people). As for the OP, I think you'll need lots of post-bacc classes + SMP + kill the DAT. It's going to be expensive and time consuming but if you're set on dentistry, good luck to you man!

A low undergrad GPA, especially the low low GPA like what the OP has, is not fine or even near acceptable.

Masters are known for grade inflation and the GPA is not combined with undergrad. Hence, it is more beneficial to do post bach to pull up that GPA.

Obviously, this guy just got into dental school and didn't start dental school for a day thought he knew the whole dental school's admission.

but honestly OP, you blame that you were working full time, lazy, crammed before tests, thats why you didnt do as well as the predent and pre med students in your class. This is just a poor excuse. if you were smart, you had to know how to manage your time. if you were smart, you had to know not to be lazy. you can't just blame that as the reason for supar performance for 4 years and you can't change anything in that four year.

to even stand a chance, aka 2.8 GPA, you need at least 2-3 years of full time school but u won't stop here. You still need masters and SMP, another 2-3 years, and DAT (are you sure you can do well with C, C-, and B- in science pre req).

don't settle on false hope. but if you want to, try out for 2 semester. I can almost assure you. Unless you have some dramatically devastating events in undergrad that hinder your performance, your performance in school now will not change a beat now.

and No, using a job as an excuse for no time to study will not cut it. this shows you can't prioritize and time manage and knows what is the most important thing to focus on.

and I think with a 2.3 GPA and being certain you can handle dental school load is an overstatement. you are about to gamble on 6 years of your life with a very little in return, most likely nothing to show for it. Possibly some student loan debt to show for it. It is on you to make this call.
Wow this is so savage... Yet, I do agree with most of this. Honestly, I don't want to make this about me but I started with B-s, Bs, some C+s even with rare A-s/As mixed in. When it came down to it I knew I didn't work as hard as I could and if you look at my grades it looks like I ramped it up out of nowhere. So, I don't think it's impossible for OP to suddenly get 3.7+ if she really works hard for it and is very determined. Working less and focusing on school will certainly help. I understand that you want to be realistic and chances are definitely not stacked in her favor. That being said, if she really wants this I'm sure she'll do whatever it takes.

Wow this is so savage... Yet, I do agree with most of this. Honestly, I don't want to make this about me but I started with B-s, Bs, some C+s even with rare A-s/As mixed in. When it came down to it I knew I didn't work as hard as I could and if you look at my grades it looks like I ramped it up out of nowhere. So, I don't think it's impossible for OP to suddenly get 3.7+ if she really works hard for it and is very determined. Working less and focusing on school will certainly help. I understand that you want to be realistic and chances are definitely not stacked in her favor. That being said, if she really wants this I'm sure she'll do whatever it takes.

I just present to the OP the realistic picture that he/she could burn 4 5 years doing this and end up with nothing.

yea see, this is why you knew what was wrong with your study during the 1st year or two and made a significant upward trend for the last 2 years after appropriate self-evaluation or wake-up calls. The adcoms understand the immature and easily distracted 18 year old self in all students and make room for upward trends in the later years of the undergrad.

Yet, the OP here spent 4 years doing abysmally in undergrad with no excuses. and is banking on 4.0 for 2-3 years in postbach.

again, this can happen or it cannot. I am just saying that a person with 2.3 GPA doesnt generally put NOX and Gasoline in to pump to 4.0 land. Plus, while 3.7 is an impressive GPA, 3.7 will just slow down her GPA repair process and lengthen the repair time.

Plus, human nutrition is again an easy major. Upper Division level classes of human nutritions are considered soft sciences. Thus, her past academic performance does not favor her statistically for making a come back.

I just present to the OP the realistic picture that he/she could burn 4 5 years doing this and end up with nothing.

yea see, this is why you knew what was wrong with your study during the 1st year or two and made a significant upward trend for the last 2 years after appropriate self-evaluation or wake-up calls. The adcoms understand the immature and easily distracted 18 year old self in all students and make room for upward trends in the later years of the undergrad.

Yet, the OP here spent 4 years doing abysmally in undergrad with no excuses. and is banking on 4.0 for 2-3 years in postbach.

again, this can happen or it cannot. I am just saying that a person with 2.3 GPA doesnt generally put NOX and Gasoline in to pump to 4.0 land. Plus, while 3.7 is an impressive GPA, 3.7 will just slow down her GPA repair process and lengthen the repair time.

Plus, human nutrition is again an easy major. Upper Division levels of human nutritions are considered soft sciences. Thus, her past academic performance does not favor her statistically of making a come back.
Well youre right at this point a 4.0 is basically a necessity but the trend is probably more important than the exact number. A lot of ppl emphasize gpa over everything else because it's so hard to fix. I guess this is a specific case that this would apply to. Try to be a little more encouraging though haha. Ik you're being realistic

Well youre right at this point a 4.0 is basically a necessity but the trend is probably more important than the exact number. A lot of ppl emphasize gpa over everything else because it's so hard to fix. I guess this is a specific case that this would apply to. Try to be a little more encouraging though haha. Ik you're being realistic

sometime truth hurt. it better to be honest with a person than keep encouraging them to fight a losing battle and prolong the suffering. if her gpa was around 2.6 then there is still a chance, but a 2.3 gpa with that many credits is nearly impossible to bring back up. she better off putting all that energy into something that will give her a better return.

Hello SDNers!

Pick a different career. There are way too many people that work hard to get into dental school and know what they want in advanced so they don't mess up their undergrad. There is no room for these kind of "success stories". My advice is don't waste your time and pick something else to do with your life.

Pick a different career. There are way too many people that work hard to get into dental school and know what they want in advanced so they don't mess up their undergrad. There is no room for these kind of "success stories". My advice is don't waste your time and pick something else to do with your life.
Don't listen to that crap, your decision to go to dental school has nothing to do with it. It boils down to how much you really want a career in dentistry, If you want it there is no hole too deep that you cannot find a way out of.

In your situation you will have to do a post bacc and boost your oGPA to about a 3.2 and sGPA to about a 3.0 After that a DAT of 18+, heavy service hours, a unique application, applying to lots of schools, and a post bacc masters will give you a chance. The point is, you have a ton of work ahead of you if it is really what you want.

I would recommend getting a job in healthcare if that is where you want to end up, it would be wise to start working on plan B in case dentistry does not pan out. You can always get a job in a dental lab, or as an assistant. I worked in a reference pathology lab and they paid for much of my Masters in Public Health. I liked the job and it would have been a fine plan B for me, but I got lucky and got in to dental school.

Basically, if you really want it, you are going to do a lot more to get in now with the hole you have dug than someone who plugged through and got a 3.75+ in undergrad. Don't let anyone tell you that if you do work hard now that they would deserve it any more than you would. Good luck

Don't listen to that crap, your decision to go to dental school has nothing to do with it. It boils down to how much you really want a career in dentistry, If you want it there is no hole too deep that you cannot find a way out of.

In your situation you will have to do a post bacc and boost your oGPA to about a 3.2 and sGPA to about a 3.0 After that a DAT of 18+, heavy service hours, a unique application, applying to lots of schools, and a post bacc masters will give you a chance. The point is, you have a ton of work ahead of you if it is really what you want.

I would recommend getting a job in healthcare if that is where you want to end up, it would be wise to start working on plan B in case dentistry does not pan out. You can always get a job in a dental lab, or as an assistant. I worked in a reference pathology lab and they paid for much of my Masters in Public Health. I liked the job and it would have been a fine plan B for me, but I got lucky and got in to dental school.

Basically, if you really want it, you are going to do a lot more to get in now with the hole you have dug than someone who plugged through and got a 3.75+ in undergrad. Don't let anyone tell you that if you do work hard now that they would deserve it any more than you would. Good luck

good post except it is funny how you tell the OP to go all in for dentistry if it is what the OP truly wants. Then, you start suggesting plan B

it is nearly impossible for the OP to bring it to 3.2. if u have 120 units for ur degree already at 2.3. u need 120 units of all As for 3.15. u literaly ask the OP to spend 4 yrs in school for another degree with no mistake. almost impossible in my terms.

sometimes u screw urself so bad u have to live with the consequence

Reactions: 3 users
frozen both you and josh make good points. yet i can't imagine 120 credits at a 4 that is insanely hard to do for just about anyone tbh.

103 hours of a 4.0 is A LOT of hours. Over double what my Masters degree required. I'm not sure dental school is still a possibility anymore.

OP, do some soul searching, if dentistry is what you really, realllllly want to pursue, it is achievable, but you'll be in school for at least 4-5 years bringing that gpa up to a respectable amount. (Respectable as in as high as possible from starting with a 2.3) 3.1+ at least, then scoring a 22+ or higher on the DAT would be next step and then applying. I would agree that nutrition is an easy major so doing horrible in that major only makes your journey harder for a more difficult major (I had bimbo friends get nutrition degrees with 4.0's and they worked 25 hours a week and partied during the weekends)

Reactions: 2 users
Orphanage, you sure are making a lot of assumptions without knowing many details. I went to a highly reputable state school and while my major was nutrition, I took every single pre-req for dental school, plus some. I worked minimum 30 hours a week and was not a party person. Not to mention I funded my own school (I'm not one of the lucky ones that has mommy and daddy throw money at me). And on top of it all, you're not even in dental school yourself, so you are far from being an expert :rofl:This post's purpose was to figure out the best route to dental school for a non-traditional student like myself. I am more than open to suggestions, but doing a post-bacc for 3+ years doesn't seem to be the most cost-effective or quickest way.

with a 2.3 sgpa, there is no such thing as a quickest way. if you taken all the pre-req and some upper level bio, there isn't much else you can take as a post-bac unless you plan on retaking those courses. even if you retake those courses, they will be average together, so it will not even help your gpa much at all. maybe skip the postbac route and try to do a smp program, i think that will be more helpful.

there are some smp out there that guarantee you an interview if you do well in their program. look into those, that will probably save you a lots of time and money if you can get into one of those.

Last edited:
Orphanage, you sure are making a lot of assumptions without knowing many details. I went to a highly reputable state school and while my major was nutrition, I took every single pre-req for dental school, plus some. I worked minimum 30 hours a week and was not a party person. Not to mention I funded my own school (I'm not one of the lucky ones that has mommy and daddy throw money at me). And on top of it all, you're not even in dental school yourself, so you are far from being an expert :rofl:This post's purpose was to figure out the best route to dental school for a non-traditional student like myself. I am more than open to suggestions, but doing a post-bacc for 3+ years doesn't seem to be the most cost-effective or quickest way.

You're right I am no expert, but there is no quick way for you to get your GPA up to a 3.0+ you have a long arduous road ahead of you.

There's a lot of good advice on here, but I'd really just like to commend on your determination. As much as I dream of becoming a dentist one day, I'm not sure I could look upon the road you have ahead of you with as strong of a resolve as you seem to have. You've got your work cut out for you, but if you can do it, you'll make for an incredible dentist.

That said, some of the harsher truths in this thread should still be taken into consideration, and you should really evaluate what is realistic for you. With your level of resolve, I imagine there are other fruitful paths for you that wouldn't require the sort of opportunity costs you're looking at taking on here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys,

I am graduating in Spring 2015 with a BS in Human Nutrition, and I am wanting to pursue dental school, if possible. The only thing is, my GPA is much too low, and has me feeling hopeless. I currently have a 2.5 GPA. I haven't attempted the DAT yet, because I know it'd be pointless to apply with my current GPA. I am wondering if there are any pathways that could get me into dental school, masters, post-back, etc. This is a career I've been interested in for some time, and I'm having a really hard time finding anything else I would want to do. I have some observation hours and some volunteering/extra curricular from when I was a freshman/sophomore in college, but no research. Anyone that has been in my position and succeeded? Or advice in general on where to go from here? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

So you was thinking about dentistry back in 2014 with a 2.5 GPA, and yet somehow you let your GPA fall by another .2 point by the time you graduated in the Spring? Do you think anybody can take you seriously if you cannot even take yourself seriously?

This thread won't seem to die but it relates to a question I have so I'll just post it here. What GPA do you consider to be too low?

Personally, I have a 3.0 sGPA and a 3.3 cGPA with strong upward trend and a SMP GPA of 3.5

Schools seem to only report averages and a lot of the SDN crowd seems to be over-achievers in terms of GPA/DAT. What sort of DAT does somebody in the 3.0-3.4 range need to have a realistic shot at Dental Schools? 19? 22?

This thread won't seem to die but it relates to a question I have so I'll just post it here. What GPA do you consider to be too low?

Personally, I have a 3.0 sGPA and a 3.3 cGPA with strong upward trend and a SMP GPA of 3.5

Schools seem to only report averages and a lot of the SDN crowd seems to be over-achievers in terms of GPA/DAT. What sort of DAT does somebody in the 3.0-3.4 range need to have a realistic shot at Dental Schools? 19? 22?
I'd say around 21/22+. We have pretty similar stats and I got a 23 and have some interviews. Lower GPA should definitely be compensated with a higher DAT.

I'd say around 21/22+. We have pretty similar stats and I got a 23 and have some interviews. Lower GPA should definitely be compensated with a higher DAT.

Thanks for the information. My goal is definitely a 22+ and I think it's fairly attainable. If you don't mind my asking, could you share where you're interviewing and what state you have residency in?

Thanks for the information. My goal is definitely a 22+ and I think it's fairly attainable. If you don't mind my asking, could you share where you're interviewing and what state you have residency in?
I'm an NY resident. I interviewed at NYU last week and will have Touro later. I'm hoping for more interviews but my app wasn't complete till mid august so i guess I'll wait for post december.