TERRIBLY low OAT scores...really need advice.

perelandra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks, so after searching forums like these for months, I finally decided to post a thread. I'm going to be completely honest in the hopes that someone out there could give me advice, because I'm desperate. To the point: I have taken the OAT 4 times, yes that's right FOUR and my highest OAT score is 290. Yes, you read that right too...not a typo.

GPA: 3.4
Campus involvement, leadership position in a student organization, volunteered at a children's home, academic scholarship
Experience: lots of shadowing and currently work full time as an optometric tech (have for the past 7 months) Also, volunteer work this past summer at an eye center in Africa where I worked in low vision and also watched cataract procedures and assisted in some minor surgeries!

A little background...
I've been pursuing the field of optometry for two years now. I first became interested in optometry my junior year of college. I signed up to take the OAT, studied some, took the test, and got a big fat 270. Terrible score, but I still have time to retake and study hard I thought. By my senior year of undergrad I was pressed for time to retake (hoping I could apply the following fall) took it again and scored lower. (I was also really sick the day I took the OAT, so I think that was part of it). At this point I felt like giving up, but I just couldn't.

After graduation, I signed up to take the OAT again, still determined. This time I enrolled in a Kaplan course (big decision to make since it cost me about $1,000), studied everyday for 4 months, reviewed undergrad science notes...everything I could think of. Get the score back: 290. Still not anywhere near competitive but it is an improvement. After talking to admission at one particular school, I decide to go ahead and apply to 3 optometry schools. In the midst of applying, my best bet is to try to retake it once more to score above 300. I've already sent in applications (in Dec), putting everything on the fact that I will score higher this last time, then fax my scores. This time I study even more, reviewing through my entire Kaplan printed material. Take the OAT the 4th time. It's a 270. My highest scores last time were my lowest scores this time and vice versa.

And here I am. Hopeless, desperate, disappointed..all understatements. I have excellent letters of recommendation, a decent GPA, good experience, but embarrassing OAT scores. Admissions probably laugh when they see my score. I just don't understand why I can't get my score up. I've always done fairly well in my sciences classes (undergrad major biology) and understand the material. I've never been the best at standardized test (although ACT was okay.. 28). I just feel so stupid, and the rejection letters will be inevitable. :(

Sorry to write a novel here. I'm just hoping someone reads this. I feel so strongly about optometry and want it as a career more than anything. But should I finally accept that I'm just not good enough for optometry school? What should I do??? Do I have any hope left? Please be realistic and honest. At this point, nothing else can hurt.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to hear you've struggled and spent so much on your OAT endeavors, it must indeed be terribly frustrating. You need to know one thing, how well you do on the OAT should not decide in your mind if you're fit to become an optometrist or not, it's not meant to do that, though again I can see how it would make you feel so hopeless with your experiences.

Second, do not give up. If optometry is really what you want, then you keep at it. You sound like a great applicant overall, so I'm sure you will get in eventually. Don't let a failure of getting accepted this cycle, or a low OAT score make you think you have to give up your dreams. Instead take the opportunity to do things with your life during the time you would've been in optometry school to improve yourself overall as an applicant, and enrich your life on a whole in some way, it is NOT a year wasted, it is a year of your life like any other, do not take it for granted or waste it on self-pity and hopelessness.

I'm not entirely familiar with how the OAT is scored, but I assume you have a score breakdown based on the parts of the test, no? Where are you doing poorly, ochem, gen chem, physics, bio, what? You need to assess your weak points and start there. I don't know if you want to retake again, but I wouldn't unless you do something serious about your preparation for it. If I was in your shoes, I would talk to someone in admissions, maybe from multiple schools to see how you could strengthen your application in ways aside from your OAT score, whether that's in graduate education or post-bacc classes, in volunteer or work experience, whatever, there are ways to offset a low test score, you just need to figure out which are the best.

I wish you all the best in your future, and I hope you keep strong and focused.

Cheers

Which Kaplan Course did you take? I spent $1200 on the online course (the go-at-your-own-pace one without "teachers") and I thought it was well worth the price. Also, what kind of scores were you getting on practice tests? Usually Kaplan gives you a diagnostic, telling you very specific subject areas where you need improvement. Also, they have that "Higher Score Guarantee" so that you have the option of repeating the course at no additional cost. I would recommend trying again and again until you have a satisfactory score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the one you're talking about..the online one. I found it very helpful too, and did everything on the site and in the printed material. It was a great review. I scored about 270 on the diagnostic and improved to a little over 300 AA. So when I took the OAT after the course and made a 290 I did improve, but not nearly the score I wanted. I was hoping at least 310. Technically I couldn't get anything back from Kaplan I'm afraid.

Doesn't it already look bad enough that I've taken the dang thing 4 times? This is where I just don't know what to do. I feel like an OAT ***** after taking it so many times! And I feel so stupid that I can't score well. What is wrong with me? Am I doing something wrong? Or am I just not smart enough for optometry school?

Also, my scores in each individual section is so sporadic...jumping up and down about 40 points each retake. Once I improve a few sections, the others go down and vice versa.

Do you experience test anxiety? This has been a problem for me in the past, too, and it has nothing to do with your intelligence or abilities--it has everything to do with psyching yourself out and blanking out during a test. Maybe you should speak to a psychiatrist and/or therapist about it and they may be able to help you if this is the case. (It helped me greatly.)

I'm sorry that you've had to take it so many times. Have you applied this cycle and received any interview invitations? I have seen some people on SDN talking about acceptance to various schools with AAs of 290 on the OAT. Just give it a shot and see what happens. And try applying to a large number of schools, too.

I just tried to pm you. Did you get it? After I sent it I checked my sent box, and it says zero messages. Hmm. That is not my first message that I have sent either. Let me know if you did not receive it.

It sounds like you are serious at preparation and using your resources wisely. Perhaps you don't do well with multiple choice computer based exams. I know I would have done much better if it were a paper exam!. You sound like a great candidate, and OAT scores aren't everything, have you heard back yet or did you not submit the application? How did you study when the material was presented to you through kaplan (note cards, practice tests?) I think with your experience and GPA you have a good shot, and yesa I 've heard of people getting in with a 290! Do you feel like oyu have a good grasp on the content of the OAT or do you feel like there are a lot of questions you are unsure of? Are you pacing yourself and giving yourself enough time for each section or do you find yourself rushing through them or skipping a lot? It sounds like your'e pretty confident in the material and it's really a test taking issue. Any school that is open to you as a candidate will offer you the chance to explain any weaknesses in your application during interviews, so I hope that a 290 isn't going to make or break you!

I think this is kind of messed up. Based on some of your prior posts you had (supposedly) been trying to get into Optometry school yourself. If that was even true, what would be the point of stepping on someone else who is trying to get in? Did you give up trying? What makes it funny? Do you think the OP is just making it up?

Your most recent posts have been mainly about how terrible the field of optometry is and how everyone needs to give up and do something else. So I wonder what your deal is? Just bitter in general? Training for being a troll? Always been a troll?

I think this is kind of messed up. Based on some of your prior posts you had (supposedly) been trying to get into Optometry school yourself. If that was even true, what would be the point of stepping on someone else who is trying to get in? Did you give up trying? What makes it funny? Do you think the OP is just making it up?

Your most recent posts have been mainly about how terrible the field of optometry is and how everyone needs to give up and do something else. So I wonder what your deal is? Just bitter in general? Training for being a troll? Always been a troll?

I just thought it was a huge fail since the op paid a grand for the kaplan course and spent 4 months studying.

I thought I was stupid, but this thread makes me feel a lot better!

Just being honest...nothing personal; as you make it out to be, Inspector Gadget! haha

I just thought it was a huge fail since the op paid a grand for the kaplan course and spent 4 months studying.

I thought I was stupid, but this thread makes me feel a lot better!

Just being honest...nothing personal; as you make it out to be, Inspector Gadget! haha

Your personality is stupid and a failure in and of itself. If I knew who you were, I would never want you as my own doctor/optometrist with your p*ss-poor attitude and superiority complex. Too bad they don't teach modesty in college.

Seriously? Get a life dude. And quit putting people down who are actually trying to make something of theirs (which is something you clearly never did).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it really is a test taking issue. I always watch the clock, and when I get to a question I don't know, I kind of panic and just guess, mark it, and hope to come back to it by the end but never really have enough time to logically deduce answers to one that I'm comfortable with. That could be by biggest downfall as far as the test is concerned. I kind of freak out.

I know the material. I studied the Kaplan material extensively. I did well in my undergrad science classes (A's and B's), and I would say I'm a fairly intelligent person. At the end of the day I can only do so much and try my best, and if that's not good enough well, then I'm just not good enough for optometry school. I'll have to accept that.

Why did you only apply to 3 schools? Did you apply to the newer schools? You would probably have a better chance getting into the newer schools.

Don't feel bad, I'm pretty sure I have the same issue with standardized tests. I always second guess myself, and knowing you're being timed really puts the pressure on, and perhaps causes you to make silly mistakes. I'm taking my OAT tomorrow, and i'm pretty sure I'll probably psych myself out then too... i tend to do a LOT better on tests when i stress less. Maybe that's something you should practice on.

I think since you have a good gpa you shouldn't give up.... definitely not. Keep going at it. And if it even means applying again next cycle you should if you really want this!

And obviously you aren't stupid, you did well in undegrad. Ignore that person above, I'm not even going to comment on him/her.

Ok....first of all, anyone that pokes fun at someone for spending some money (haha, you spent $1000 bucks! In order to get into a career that will easily make you a million dollars over 10-12 years. How dumb of you!)

Now that all of that is out of my system, here is my advice. If you would like a qualifier, I took my OAT directly after taking the MCAT. I got a 34 on the MCAT (yay!) and a 290 on my OAT (not so yay)...I decided to spend a few months going just for the OAT, and finished with a 360 overall, with 400's on both quant reasoning and physics...

Now, none of that is because I am a genius (your GPA is much better! Well done!). I just got better at taking THAT particular test, nothing more.

For me, the OAT is somewhat weakened on first glance....I say this because 2 of the 4 major sections, quant reasoning and physics, draw roughly from the same knowledge pool. For this reason, I would take the approach to build up just ONE of the four big sections. Show the admissions that you have one area where you can really hang your hat on. This will allow you to have slightly lower scores on another section, but your average will look much more competitive. My advice is to get the OAT destroyer, at least for physics (its a separate little book. I own it if you'd like to buy it off for cheap), and to make a master sheet of all of the easy formulas that the OAT uses. This will create very high value in score jump for a little work. Studying for this kind of test is all about efficiency, and all about building up small areas where you are rock solid. So many people take a forest instead of a trees approach to these kind of huge tests, and I just don't think that breeds success.

As for the biology and chem, I used very remedial (college level, but not detailed) textbooks to pull info out of. There is a list on the opted site that shows all of the areas that the OAT covers (mitosis, bromation, etc), and I created little notes for all of these areas, just the basics. Knowing the basic stuff really well will allow you to reason through a lot of the harder material.

I hope this helps. Message me if you'd like the book or have any questions. Good luck!

honestly i do think it's impressive that you took the OAT 4 times. it shows dedication and persistence and that you REALLY want this profession. Someone who does not even study may score a 360 OAT and get in to opt school and when others are working their butts off and are failed to be recognized.

Personally, I would prefer the more dedicated optometrist vs one who just scores high because they are naturally great test takers.

Your GPA is good so hopefully schools will recognize that! Gdluck!!

LOL....this thread has too many sentimental posters. +pity+

The OP asked for honesty and went on to say something along the lines of "nothing can hurt," therefore my comments are perfectly adequate, if not perfect.

LOL....this thread has too many sentimental posters. +pity+

The OP asked for honesty and went on to say something along the lines of "nothing can hurt," therefore my comments are perfectly adequate, if not perfect.

Yet you're still a tool.

Ok....first of all, anyone that pokes fun at someone for spending some money (haha, you spent $1000 bucks! In order to get into a career that will easily make you a million dollars over 10-12 years. How dumb of you!)

But you see it is.

The OP will not get admitted into a school based on her low OAT score. So, how can the OP make MILLIONS?

But you see it is.

The OP will not get admitted into a school based on her low OAT score. So, how can the OP make MILLIONS?

How could you possibly know that? See my link above to a thread that someone posted very recently about getting into ICO with an OAT score of 280. You are so certain of something you know nothing about and of which you have absolutely no control. Seriously, pound salt.

Yeah it really is a test taking issue. I always watch the clock, and when I get to a question I don't know, I kind of panic and just guess, mark it, and hope to come back to it by the end but never really have enough time to logically deduce answers to one that I'm comfortable with. That could be by biggest downfall as far as the test is concerned. I kind of freak out.

I know the material. I studied the Kaplan material extensively. I did well in my undergrad science classes (A's and B's), and I would say I'm a fairly intelligent person. At the end of the day I can only do so much and try my best, and if that's not good enough well, then I'm just not good enough for optometry school. I'll have to accept that.

I can totally understand what your talking about. I have taken the mcat two times and could never get a balanced score above a low 30. I even took a course and still got below a 10 in verbal which screwed me royally at many schools. I have a high 3.8 gpa so I really dont think its an intelligence issue either. I then passed the OAT nothing outstanding but the key was I put less pressure on myself. I think you should just try taking the test one more time, put less stress on yourself and send in as many applications as you can and hope for the best for the next cycle. Also focus on your weaknesses highlighted from the diagnostic tests because it sounds like you have studied more then enough for the test. If it doesnt happen it doesnt happen. Its not the end of the world. I am sure there are other things out there for you. Best of luck

I also think the OAT is somewhat pointless in its current format. It doesnt predict how great of an optometrist you would be down the road either so dont let the low test scores define you.

"But you see it is.

The OP will not get admitted into a school based on her low OAT score. So, how can the OP make MILLIONS?"

Wow....this feels a little bit like speaking to a child, but here is the basic idea:

Person cannot do well on a single test, even though the GPA is very competitive, without doing some sort of preparation. So, they spend $1000 dollars in order to then do well on the test, thus getting into school, and in turn making a lot more money.

There are a lot of people that simply do not have study habits that are conducive to large-scale standardized tests. They are very good at short-term, which is 99% of school (esp in undergrad), and a structured class will give them a blueprint as to how to best tackle a test the size of the OAT. For this reason, it CAN be a very good use of money. I go to school with people that used these services and got 100 point turn-arounds on their OAT. $1000 dollars is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

And please do not go on about the "people were too soft" in here idea. That has nothing to do with it, and everything to do with an idiot making huge assumptions (you won't get in) about someone that they do not know at all. That is not "being realistic"...that is called "being a sophomoric jackass". I am all for not inflating people's expectations, but there isn't much of that going on here. (You WILL get in! Don't worry!)

To the original poster, do whatever you can to get that score up. You will beat most others on everything else, including a clear desire to do this. That does matter (I am proof). A lot of people don't fail because they weren't smart enough. They fail because they didn't really know what they were getting into. You clearly do with your experience time. Whatever means necessary. Let the children in this forum go play in their sandbox...the adults are trying to talk.:D

Well I got an interview today! I know it by no means guarantees anything at all, but hey at least it's something. Maybe they'll look past my scores at the stronger areas of my application, or maybe they'll just tell me to try again next year with better scores. Who knows?

congrats perelandra!
make sure you rock that interview and dont listen to all these negative comments
you are one step closer with an interview, so i wish you the best

nice!! where??

UAB...which is a big surprise considering the competitiveness, especially for out of state applicants like myself. I don't know much about the interview process there, but maybe they give interviews to most people that apply.

Well I got an interview today! I know it by no means guarantees anything at all, but hey at least it's something. Maybe they'll look past my scores at the stronger areas of my application, or maybe they'll just tell me to try again next year with better scores. Who knows?

Awesome, good job!!

Eat your words, socal!! :laugh:

UAB...which is a big surprise considering the competitiveness, especially for out of state applicants like myself. I don't know much about the interview process there, but maybe they give interviews to most people that apply.

dont think this way, you got the interview because they saw something so just be honest and stay calm and make sure you prepare for you questions

I guarantee you that they don't. Most schools will interview less than half of all the applicants.