Test development - theory and resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anais-In

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on resources concerning test development/psychometrics/validation?

Looking for authors, journals, texts, seminal papers, new theories, etc?

Right now I have the 'Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing' and Groth-Marnat's assessment book, as well as a couple other text books, but I feel like I'm missing something and my searches aren't turning up much.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sattler's Assessment books (for pediatric populations specifically).

Contemporary Intellectual Assessment, Third Edition: Theories, Tests, and Issues by Dawn Flangan

Also any of the Wiley "Essentials" books for specific batteries (WISC/WAIS/WIAT/WJ-Ach&Cog).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! More looking for resources about test construction for a self-report measure that I'm helping to develop.

Thanks everyone! More looking for resources about test construction for a self-report measure that I'm helping to develop.

I've found that the item writing step sometimes gets short shrift in papers on survey development despite being so critical. A short book called Improving Survey Questions by Floyd Fowler, Jr. (Sage, 1995) addresses this process in more depth and is very useful.

There is a 1995 paper by Lee Anna Clark and David Watson that is quite good called "Constructing Validity: Basic Issues in Objective Scale Development", I'd start there as well as the Scale Development book Ollie suggested in the older thread and something about item writing, as suggested here. Also....just read a bunch of scale development articles. Look at Psychological Assessment or Assessment and read about test construction, or look at often-cited measures, particularly newer ones as they will be more reflective of the current publication climate. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of Gratz & Roemer's Difficulties with Emotion Regulation Scale, for example, but there are a bunch of them. I've published several self-report scale development articles and am working on several more so I might be able to answer questions...though I might not.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, if you've got the 2014 edition of the Standards, that's a good start. There is an actual Handbook of Test Development, with a new edition due out this fall. There are also four editions of Educational Measurement, each of which is as much a bible as the Standards. Each edition is quite different, so it's worth checking out each one; I'll never give up my 2nd edition by Thorndike (1971) because of all the basics that it contains. For articles, it's best to go for everything by certain authors. For example, if you're interested in test validity, then anything by Michael Kane, Samuel Messick, or Greg Cizek is going to be interesting and relatively accessible. One way to go is to find the most recent one via ERIC or some other search and then pull all the articles that they site, and work your way back that way.