Test Question Challenge for flawed question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pithy84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I submitted a Test Question Challenge for a question that I believe was flawed on the December 6th MCAT that I took. I believe the question contained 1 or 2 typos in the stem. I am fairly certain it contained at least one typo.

They said they will reply "within 3 weeks".

Did anyone else challenge any questions? I found a few other threads about this process from 1.5 years ago or more, but none of the threads mention a result of any kind.

I will try to remember to post an update if and when they reply.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I submitted a Test Question Challenge for a question that I believe was flawed on the December 6th MCAT that I took. I believe the question contained 1 or 2 typos in the stem. I am fairly certain it contained at least one typo.

They said they will reply "within 3 weeks".

Did anyone else challenge any questions? I found a few other threads about this process from 1.5 years ago or more, but none of the threads mention a result of any kind.

I will try to remember to post an update if and when they reply.

Even if you get the question dismissed won't your "number correct" remain the same and leave your score unaffected? Or is it curved by number incorrect

I know someone who challenged a question. I heard in no specific way that there were a few good candidates for that on the last exam.

The AAMC just emailed me a reply to my question challenge. I had submitted it via fax, they replied by email.

Their reply is strictly confidential, and it contains very little information, so there is very little that I can say. I am somewhat annoyed.

They did NOT say whether my answer will be marked as correct, or whether they are throwing out the question altogether. They did NOT say if anyone else complained about that question.

I will not press the topic, because my score hasn't been released yet and I don't want to annoy them.

Based on their reply, I am deducing with 75% certainty that they found one or two typos in the question stem. Having read the question carefully, I am 99% sure there were one or two typos in the question stem. However, their reply does not say what the typo(s) were. Depending on what the typo(s) were, the answer might be unchanged, or there might still be one clear correct answer (although it would be different than their original planned answer). If there was only one correct answer in light of the typo(s), then they might be scoring the question anyway. Or they might throw it out. They did not say what they are doing.

They DEFINITELY did not say what the typo(s) were, and they DEFINITELY did not say what the correct answer was in their mind.

The question was not in Verbal Reasoning, that is all I will say. I would never challenge a Verbal Reasoning question, those are too subjective.