Test scores on CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you all put test scores (e.g. step 1, step 2) on your CVs when giving them to your LOR writers? I feel like it's pretty relevant because it could give them an idea of my competitiveness (doubt it would affect the quality of the letter, but if I was a letter writer I'd like to know how competitive the student I'm writing for is), but perhaps it could be poor form

Members don't see this ad.

Do you all put test scores (e.g. step 1, step 2) on your CVs when giving them to your LOR writers? I feel like it's pretty relevant because it could give them an idea of my competitiveness (doubt it would affect the quality of the letter, but if I was a letter writer I'd like to know how competitive the student I'm writing for is), but perhaps it could be poor form

Are you suggesting that if a candidate has less competitive step scores that their LOR should have the subtext "this guy is not that smart but has plenty of other great qualities that will more than make up for that?" Sorry, but a good LOR needs to talk up all of your angles. If an LOR suggests you are substandard in something, that is not a good LOR to get.

To answer the original question, I think that putting your step scores on a CV is tacky, though I am sure there are a number of people who do it.

People do it, but it's controversial.

It can have a halo effect.

Members don't see this ad :)
test scores are optional on CV. So if you think your test scores will strengthen ur resume, put them in. If they are not that strong, don't put it. It's up to you.

When I was getting LORs, I made a packet with my CV, PS, step score reports, transcript, clinical evaluations and other shelf scores. Got good comments about how it made it easy to write the letters.

I'd say keep scores on if strong until graduation. Then convert to exam date pass on 1st attempt.

according to my dean, poor form since it naturally doesnt fit in any particular section. if you google CVs of your attendings you usually wont see them. If you are really itching to have your letter writers know, then just schedule a meet up for "advice" for applying and bring it up to assess competitiveness. However, its unlikely to change the content of the letter since they've probably already formed an opinion about you.

according to my dean, poor form since it naturally doesnt fit in any particular section. if you google CVs of your attendings you usually wont see them. If you are really itching to have your letter writers know, then just schedule a meet up for "advice" for applying and bring it up to assess competitiveness. However, its unlikely to change the content of the letter since they've probably already formed an opinion about you.
Some have a certification and licensure section. That's where it would fit.
But CVs are often tailored to many purposes.

The sample CVs on the Careers in Medicine website list Step scores.

I never put my SAT scores on my CV, but when I started applying for research year programs, everyone wanted to know my score, so I started including it.

I wouldn't put them in there. If your letter writer really wants them, they can ask.

I tattooed that **** on my biceps. Step I and Step II.

It'd be in bad taste to tell you where I tattooed Step III.

I think step scores are just like everything else on your CV, if you have something impressive, show it, otherwise don't. Hiding your excellent score to be "modest" makes no sense because then you might as well hide your entire CV since a CV is essentially a bragging document.

Reactions: 1 user
above what score should you include step 1 on your resume, being that it would help you

I think you guys are missing the point as to what a letter writer is doing for you. They aren't there to tell the programs how good of a test taker you are. That's what your usmle transcript, MSPE, and school transcript are for. You letter writer is there to talk about your personality, how well you work as a team, and your clinical decision making process. Your letter writer shouldn't be writing anything different about you whether you scored a 210 or a 260 on step 1. If they are basing your letter on your test taking ability, than you should really find someone who knows you better to write a letter for you.

I think you guys are missing the point as to what a letter writer is doing for you. They aren't there to tell the programs how good of a test taker you are. That's what your usmle transcript, MSPE, and school transcript are for. You letter writer is there to talk about your personality, how well you work as a team, and your clinical decision making process. Your letter writer shouldn't be writing anything different about you whether you scored a 210 or a 260 on step 1. If they are basing your letter on your test taking ability, than you should really find someone who knows you better to write a letter for you.
Halo effect.

Halo effect.

Potentially... Regardless for a medical school LOR my writers wanted to know my step 1 and step 2 scores. I don't necessarily think they discussed it personally but if they are not super high they are able to address these shortcomings in the letter. I would not permanently have them on a resume but for certain situations they are helpful.

That's interesting. It never even crossed my mind that these should/could be included on my CV. If anything I would just think you would write "Step 1 - Passed". My letter writers didn't seem at all interested in what my scores were but perhaps I should have included them... food for fellowship I guess!

Survivor DO

What about test scores for a CV you're sending to summer scholarship/research programs (I.e. between m1 and m2)?

Halo effect.

Yea I agree, I think there are different variables such as this that come into play. Does it make sense to include it in theory? No, as there is no defined section, other than perhaps 'certifications.' Will it help you if you scored very well, and include it within a packet of materials? (IE250+) Hard to say, but if I had to bet, I would say yes, partly due to the halo effect.

I think there are many people out there that do great in a regimented and structured system, but very poorly in the real world when there are more degrees of freedom. This might be one example where the two differ.

Last edited:
If they are good I would put them, if they are average / weak leave them off.