Testing in another country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahhhhck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but is the exam still in English? All the testing spots for US are gone and the only ones that are available are in two weeks, so I am considering flying out of the country to take the 2014 exam (lmao might as well go on vacation afterwards in celebration I guess :cool:).

Thanks!

P.S. I tried googling, and nothing really came up, hence why I'm asking!

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT is only required by schools in the US / Canada (Caribbean and some English medical school programs in Ireland, Australia and Europe). It is only administered in English.

Before you start booking tickets to go to other countries, I'd strongly recommend you log-in to the portal every day and check for seats. Many seats are likely to open up. While I'm studying for a re-take, I have applied to med school and would drop my seat if admitted. I know several other folks in my situation with a score good enough to apply, but below the 30 threshold warranting a re-take.

Good luck!

P.S. - I forgot Puerto Rico, which requires the MCAT. If the MCAT were offered in Spanish, I suspect the MCAT score of those schools would be much higher. I know a PI I worked with said she took the MCAT in Puerto Rico before she knew proper English and did terribly on it.

P.P.S. - I can only imagine going to an exotic land and then realizing that the "Verbal" section is ten times harder because you barely understood them in English, but in the foreign language they might as well be Greek to you.

Thank you so much for responding! Yes, I actually just registered for a Washington state testing date. I'll definitely be sure to check everyday for seats; I just wanted to know in case I do have to fly out to take the exam. I figured it would be in English, but didn't want to make any assumptions because like you said, I'd be freaking out if I flew over there and the whole test is in Arabic or whatnot...:dead: Ugh this is so depressing, haha, but there's no one to blame but myself for not being ready.

Thanks again!

Signed up for this date. Just took MCAT last week, but signed up for this date as a safety net in case I have to take again.