Testing Solutions Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemhead123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few different threads on here over the last few weeks wondering about Testing Solutions verbal. It was actually Idiaz29 who put me onto their path a while back. I've taken three out of the five they have on amazon, so I thought that I would write a brief review of them so other people can know if they will be useful to them:

PROS:

Difficulty: I found TS3 to be the most difficult of the three I've taken. It was a real struggle to finish on time. In all three tests, I found them to be more difficult than EK, pretty darn close to the AAMC, and about on track with how I felt after the TPR hyperlearning passages. Of any of the other materials I have taken, they most reminded me of the TPR hyperlearning passages. I have only completed 1/2 of the TPR verbal, so take that with a grain of salt. Overall, I'd say that the TS tests were harder than what I would have liked, but on the other hand, I guess it is good to practice with really challenging stuff, but I did find it a little discouraging.

The passages seemed well written, didn't remind me at all of the GS copied from wikipedia VR passages from years ago. Some of them I even found interesting!!! Ha!. Their questions reminded me of the MCAT, which was a great relief, because a friend gave me access to his Kaplan account for the last few weeks of his service after he took the MCAT, so I took a lot of Kaplan's material, and especially on verbal, I felt like it was hunt for the answer in the passage. TS didn't feel like that at all. I felt that TS had a good balance of the different question types. Of any of the other materials I have taken, I thought their solutions to their questions were the best. It feels like you are getting into how verbal tests are written. I found it really useful.

CONS:

Like I said above, the passages and questions were difficult. Whereas with other tests, I usually finish just fine on time, with these tests, on two of the three, I ended up leaving two and three questions blank, while for the third test, I was able to get through it all, but had to rush. I guess it just depends on what kind of practice you are looking for.

Another piece is the format on which you have to take it. I downloaded the kindle app to my computer and took the practice tests on there, which was fine, but I've read a few other people on here and on the amazon reviews that said they hated taking it on an actual kindle. I can't imagine actually taking it on the small kindle, I would think everyone would take it on the computer, but if you are thinking of using a small portable device, I'd stay away. How they have it set up for the computer worked reasonably well, although it wasn't ideal that you could look at the question and the passage at the same time, but the links they have in the book make it very easy to skip back and forth. It wasn't an issue for me, but it really seemed to bother other people. It sucks they don't have these available in book or pdf form. I guess I can understand why they don't though.

CONCLUSIONS:

I'm going to buy the final two remaining tests they have published. I think the verbal materials are really pretty good, and at the price, there isn't anything that even comes close. I'd recommend them and especially for someone like me who has gone through a lot of verbal material in years past, its nice to have a fresh alternative that is high quality. I was really worried about having gone through EK and half of TPR books already, since it isn't much value at all to re-do passages, but is a nice alternative.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I've seen a few different threads on here over the last few weeks wondering about Testing Solutions verbal. It was actually Idiaz29 who put me onto their path a while back. I've taken three out of the five they have on amazon, so I thought that I would write a brief review of them so other people can know if they will be useful to them:

PROS:

Difficulty: I found TS3 to be the most difficult of the three I've taken. It was a real struggle to finish on time. In all three tests, I found them to be more difficult than EK, pretty darn close to the AAMC, and about on track with how I felt after the TPR hyperlearning passages. Of any of the other materials I have taken, they most reminded me of the TPR hyperlearning passages. I have only completed 1/2 of the TPR verbal, so take that with a grain of salt. Overall, I'd say that the TS tests were harder than what I would have liked, but on the other hand, I guess it is good to practice with really challenging stuff, but I did find it a little discouraging.

The passages seemed well written, didn't remind me at all of the GS copied from wikipedia VR passages from years ago. Some of them I even found interesting!!! Ha!. Their questions reminded me of the MCAT, which was a great relief, because a friend gave me access to his Kaplan account for the last few weeks of his service after he took the MCAT, so I took a lot of Kaplan's material, and especially on verbal, I felt like it was hunt for the answer in the passage. TS didn't feel like that at all. I felt that TS had a good balance of the different question types. Of any of the other materials I have taken, I thought their solutions to their questions were the best. It feels like you are getting into how verbal tests are written. I found it really useful.

CONS:

Like I said above, the passages and questions were difficult. Whereas with other tests, I usually finish just fine on time, with these tests, on two of the three, I ended up leaving two and three questions blank, while for the third test, I was able to get through it all, but had to rush. I guess it just depends on what kind of practice you are looking for.

Another piece is the format on which you have to take it. I downloaded the kindle app to my computer and took the practice tests on there, which was fine, but I've read a few other people on here and on the amazon reviews that said they hated taking it on an actual kindle. I can't imagine actually taking it on the small kindle, I would think everyone would take it on the computer, but if you are thinking of using a small portable device, I'd stay away. How they have it set up for the computer worked reasonably well, although it wasn't ideal that you could look at the question and the passage at the same time, but the links they have in the book make it very easy to skip back and forth. It wasn't an issue for me, but it really seemed to bother other people. It sucks they don't have these available in book or pdf form. I guess I can understand why they don't though.

CONCLUSIONS:

I'm going to buy the final two remaining tests they have published. I think the verbal materials are really pretty good, and at the price, there isn't anything that even comes close. I'd recommend them and especially for someone like me who has gone through a lot of verbal material in years past, its nice to have a fresh alternative that is high quality. I was really worried about having gone through EK and half of TPR books already, since it isn't much value at all to re-do passages, but is a nice alternative.

We just took TS1 today. Even they give you the setup to change the fonts but fail to give option of putting passage and questions on the same page....... that distract me a lot as I am the one hard core wired to the actual AAMC test format :( That distraction probably costs me a couple of errors.

I agree the test is on the hard side....but very good practice though. Not bad for $3.99

PROS:

CONS:

CONCLUSIONS:

This is awesome! Thanks a lot for the insight I want to get through all of TPR before even thinking about touching any other material, but ill definitely be buying them now!
Thanks a lot!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy to do it. If anyone else gives them a try, it would be good for SDN to have other opinions as well. I've always thought SDN should have a particular area where reviews could be posted about different prep materials.

Reactions: 1 user
Happy to do it. If anyone else gives them a try, it would be good for SDN to have other opinions as well. I've always thought SDN should have a particular area where reviews could be posted about different prep materials.

+1 So that the same question won't be asked zillion times among many threads.

Yeah the problem is that a lot of prep companies would flood those reviews so I'm not sure how accurate they would be.
I really like how this company states that they don't care if you leave a bad review or not when trying to gain access to a free test. It really shows how confident they are in their material!

Yeah, I guess that would be a real possibility to have false posting. It is just frustrating that so much valuable information is lost to the backlog of the SDN forums. I can't even really blame it on poor searching on behalf of posters, because a lot of the time, this stuff can be difficult to find. It would be nice to have some way to do it though without the bias of false postings.

I don't know if any of you have left a review yet, but they are doing a promotional where you get three free exams(TS2, TS3, and Ts4) if you leave a review on Amazon. I had already purchased TS2, and TS3, so when I left my review and I emailed the company, they gave me TS4 and TS5 instead, which I thought was particularly generous and nice, as I would have definitely bought them anyways. When I get to them, I'll write an updated review of those final two.

Yeah, I guess that would be a real possibility to have false posting. It is just frustrating that so much valuable information is lost to the backlog of the SDN forums. I can't even really blame it on poor searching on behalf of posters, because a lot of the time, this stuff can be difficult to find. It would be nice to have some way to do it though without the bias of false postings.

I don't know if any of you have left a review yet, but they are doing a promotional where you get three free exams(TS2, TS3, and Ts4) if you leave a review on Amazon. I had already purchased TS2, and TS3, so when I left my review and I emailed the company, they gave me TS4 and TS5 instead, which I thought was particularly generous and nice, as I would have definitely bought them anyways. When I get to them, I'll write an updated review of those final two.

They send to me 3 TSs due to their one year anniversary.........however, it is the eBook PRC format. I try to find a "legit" site and "legit" download to open/convert that and so far not too successful :(- Everybody tries to suck you in something when you download stuff from their site. Sad.....

EDIT: I think offer ends 4/10/14

Last edited:

Yeah I completely agree. A lot of times good threads get overlooked bc people are here looking for answers to there problems. It would be to have an an area to review but have the posters reach a certain threshold in posts or amount of time they have been on SDN.

Btw thanks for the heads up! I'm going to take advantage of this and do all of their tests in the next week and post what I think about the rest of them!

@MedOldAge - I think I missed a piece on your previous post. Are you saying that Testing Solutions was trying to suck you into something or another company was? If the former is the case, that is unfortunate to hear, as my few interactions with Testing Solutions have been very positive, and I've found them very accommodating. They seem to be fairly "legit" to me, but then again maybe you've had more contact with them than I have.

@Idiaz29 - Best of luck on the practice!

Members don't see this ad :)
@MedOldAge - I think I missed a piece on your previous post. Are you saying that Testing Solutions was trying to suck you into something or another company was? If the former is the case, that is unfortunate to hear, as my few interactions with Testing Solutions have been very positive, and I've found them very accommodating. They seem to be fairly "legit" to me, but then again maybe you've had more contact with them than I have.

@chemhead123, No, no....I was in a rush and my construction of sentences were totally OFF. I DID NOT mean Testing Solution.

The free files I have downloaded from Testing Solutions (TS2, 3, 4) were PRC format in which I am not familiar with and can't find a convenient way or application to decode/convert/open them. I got on internet looking for a source to accomplish that. It seems that those which offer conversion are either require your sign in; and give them your email and other totally not related but personal information or the downloaded application hide another plug in during the extraction process.

So far, I have yet to find a "clean" application download from net for the purpose of opening the PRC files. :(
I like to use those three TS VR tests ASAP...........but :bang:

@Idiaz29, really treasure the pdf files you uploaded last Thursday at the May 2014 MCATers United.
Thank you! :banana:

I used the Amazon Reader App for the computer, and then just imported the files manually. I didn't have to convert them or anything, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have to give my email to amazon...but it was awhile ago that I used it.

When I bought the TS1, it was loaded automatically by the Amazon Reader App for the computer "into" my Windows 8.1. I just click on it on the screen and here it is.

However, these 3 files are no longer from Amazon; and were downloaded directly from TS dropbox (they gave me a link in the email).

I suspect, this is not the first time I am wrong, the Reader App is closely tied by Amazon and there is NO access any other way one can click on the computer screen once you open the kindle app to create a manual imported connection to the TS files sitting at the C: drive.

Please let me know if I am totally wrong at the left field. What are the steps you used to import the files manually using Amazon Reader app on computer?

Last edited:
I downloaded the .prc files to my desktop and then just double clicked on the file itself and it automatically opened the Amazon Reader app, or another way would be to right click on the .prc file, then select the "Open with" option, and then select the Amazon Reader app.

I didn't have to do anything special to get them to load besides just clicking on them.

I downloaded the .prc files to my desktop and then just double clicked on the file itself and it automatically opened the Amazon Reader app, or another way would be to right click on the .prc file, then select the "Open with" option, and then select the Amazon Reader app.

I didn't have to do anything special to get them to load besides just clicking on them.

I am not at home now; so I can't duplicate what you just stated.

That was a couple of nights ago. When I clicked on the .prc file it open an "Open with" option; but I don't recalled Amazon Reader app is one of the option available. I will check tonight "closely" when I am home. Oh, I am running Windows 8.1.....I guess I can blame uncle Bill.

I can see the Kindle app on the new 8.1 Startup Screen but I am not sure the app actually loaded the way it was for pre 8.1 O.S. such that the "Open with" includes the Kindle app as one of the choices.

Just did 4 passages from TS2 and I find these to be much more difficult than any other material I have encountered. I found the passages to be similar to some TPR passages but the questions do not seem similar to any of the prep companies I have tried (TPR or EK). Maybe that's how the AAMCs are?
I am not the least bit good at verbal though so take what I say about the difficulty with a grain of salt.

Also, I would like to say I find it a major plus that they state the passage difficulty, the question difficulty, and the question type. I would imagine this would be a very good for someone who needs to find what they are having the most trouble with. The format doesn't seem to bother me as much now. It is really annoying having to flip through the pages but you get used to it lol

@chemhead123, No, no....I was in a rush and my construction of sentences were totally OFF. I DID NOT mean Testing Solution.

The free files I have downloaded from Testing Solutions (TS2, 3, 4) were PRC format in which I am not familiar with and can't find a convenient way or application to decode/convert/open them. I got on internet looking for a source to accomplish that. It seems that those which offer conversion are either require your sign in; and give them your email and other totally not related but personal information or the downloaded application hide another plug in during the extraction process.

So far, I have yet to find a "clean" application download from net for the purpose of opening the PRC files. :(
I like to use those three TS VR tests ASAP...........but :bang:

@Idiaz29, really treasure the pdf files you uploaded last Thursday at the May 2014 MCATers United.
Thank you! :banana:
Glad it helped!
I posted a thread on where I got those pdfs from along time ago but it did not receive any attention. I just assumed people didn't find them useful lol

Are these exams timed? Can I do three passages a day I don't want to do all the passages in one sitting

you can do them however you want nkafeel, as its just the passages on the screen. THey dont time you, so you time yourself.

However, I find these passages are WAY harder than any other practice material. If you can score high percentages on these, no aamc verbal test will be difficult for you.

That being said, these are extremely demoralizing.