[Texas] 32 MCAT, 3.86 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llanoestacado

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I just got my MCAT back yesterday, and I'm curious about my chances.

• MCAT 32 (10/11/11)
  • cGPA 3.86
  • sGPA 4.0
  • Clinical volunteering: 40 hours of ER volunteering, which involved taking temperatures, blood pressures, and taking patients back to the rooms. I plan on doing more, but I quit while studying for the MCAT.
  • Shadowing: None, but I'm trying to set up with a cardiologist and will start making cold calls if that doesn't work.
  • Research: none, but I will be starting in a biochemistry research lab next semester.
  • Non-clinical volunteering: ~15 hours at boys and girls club. I'll be starting that back up again soon too.
  • Employment: Lifeguard for 4 years in a low income area.
As far as EC's go, this semester I'm an undergraduate TA for the introductory biology labs. I'm also the concerts coordinator for my universities programming board. I know my volunteering, shadowing, and research are all lacking, but that's my next move. I plan on applying to during the 2015-2016 cycle:

-All UT system schools
-Texas Tech and Paul L. Foster in El Paso
-Texas A&M
-UNTCOM
-Baylor (dream school; I know it's slim to none but what the hell).
-New Mexico Medical School
-UAMS College of Medicine
-Oklahoma State COM
-OU college of medicine
-Both Louisiana State Schools

If I could get advice on my school list too, that would be great. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

As you pointed out, your EC's (particularly shadowing) are weak. Research is a plus, not a requirement (for most schools) but shadowing is straight up necessary. Your volunteering is also weak and needs to be expanded on as well.

On the bright side, your GPA is great, and your MCAT score is high enough to make you competitive at most Texas schools (with Baylor and UTSW being long-shots). Get that shadowing done ASAP and boost your other EC's (volunteering being key) and I think you'll get interviews at nearly every Texas school. UTSW and Baylor are both a bit more MCAT / research heavy, but it's certainly not impossible.

Hey everybody! I just got my MCAT back yesterday, and I'm curious about my chances.

• MCAT 32 (10/11/11)
  • cGPA 3.86
  • sGPA 4.0
  • Clinical volunteering: 40 hours of ER volunteering, which involved taking temperatures, blood pressures, and taking patients back to the rooms. I plan on doing more, but I quit while studying for the MCAT.
  • Shadowing: None, but I'm trying to set up with a cardiologist and will start making cold calls if that doesn't work.
  • Research: none, but I will be starting in a biochemistry research lab next semester.
  • Non-clinical volunteering: ~15 hours at boys and girls club. I'll be starting that back up again soon too.
  • Employment: Lifeguard for 4 years in a low income area.
As far as EC's go, this semester I'm an undergraduate TA for the introductory biology labs. I'm also the concerts coordinator for my universities programming board. I know my volunteering, shadowing, and research are all lacking, but that's my next move. I plan on applying to during the 2015-2016 cycle:

-All UT system schools
-Texas Tech and Paul L. Foster in El Paso
-Texas A&M
-UNTCOM
-Baylor (dream school; I know it's slim to none but what the hell).
-New Mexico Medical School
-UAMS College of Medicine
-Oklahoma State COM
-OU college of medicine
-Both Louisiana State Schools

If I could get advice on my school list too, that would be great.
Texas schools seem to particularly like nonmedical community service, so I'm glad to see you'll be resuming Boys and Girls Club. Office-based primary care shadowing is the best place to put your cold call efforts if your own doc or those of your parents won't allow shadowing.

Don't put too much effort into applying out of state unless you have a compelling reason for attending there. You have the potential to be a good candidate, and OOS schools know you won't pay their higher tuition if any in-state school accepts you.

Reactions: 1 users