Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Texas A&M c/o 2016 applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by BQ2009, 07.24.11.

1. BearKat17

BearKat17 Texas A&M C/O 2016!!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)

I have mine this Saturday at 8 am! I'm getting really nervous about this MMI thing :scared:. At least with Kansas last weekend I had a rough idea of what they'll ask... How is everyone else preparing for this?

2. ASUprevet

ASUprevet Texas A&M c/o 2016

Pre-Veterinary
    First of all, I talked to someone at the DVM Program Admissions and she said to send fall transcripts to TMDSAS. I told her I already sent mine directly to Texas A&M and she said they would make sure they get sent back to TMDSAS. I wish they were more clear about this on the website.

My interview is Saturday at 3:25pm. I also pretty nervous. To be honest I'm not doing a whole lot to prepare. I'm mostly reading up on veterinary ethical issues and current events. They say the interview(s) should take one hour to complete. :confused: Not sure how I feel about that. My interview last week lasted only 15 minutes.

3. peachykeenies

peachykeenies Texas A&M c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Don't worry about it too much! If you have kept up with issues and show that you are thoughtful in your answers, you should be just fine. I know the MMI format seems daunting since you will be going to multiple rooms with different people and scenarios/questions... but it really is designed to help you out by reducing interviewer bias!

If anyone has any questions about interviews or anything else feel free to PM me. Just keep in mind I cannot tell you the questions we were asked, since we had to sign confidentiality waivers. :)

4. mulletsarelove

mulletsarelove

Pre-Veterinary
    I know you can't say any actual questions, but were the questions all veterinary related or were there some that were more generic--for example, things like seeing someone cheating, dealing with people/working with groups/etc, and other such questions that are sometimes asked in behavioral interviews that certainly can be a part of being in vet school/in the career but are not necessarily exclusive to vet med?

5. jalyndani

jalyndani Mississippi State 2016

Veterinary Student

Last edited: 01.13.12
  6. BQ2009

BQ2009

Pre-Veterinary
    So I'm a bit late....but I got an interview!!! I've been moving back and forth between Texas, Tennessee and now I'm in Missouri and just got internet! Seriously I think I moved to middle of nowhere.

Everyone's interview is on Saturday??? Mine's on Friday at 9:25 am!! I must be one of the first groups....lucky me. Oh well. I'm flying back to Texas tomorrow morning.

I've been reading up on AVMA's website about ethical and current issues and I feel pretty good about it now. I also found this website where they had listed vet school interview questions (from a traditional interview format) and having my fiancee ask me so I can practice formulating and communicating my answers. This is my first interview so I'm not sure what to expect although speaking in the past with faculty and vet students basically the interview is to determine that you are competent and have a personality.

7. BQ2009

BQ2009

Pre-Veterinary

Congrats! Your interview is on the 28th??? I guess they're spreading it out over two weekends?

After living in College Station for a long time I would say get a cab, its pretty cheap. From a hotel on University Dr. (where most of them are) to Northgate (down the road from the vet school) we paid $12 on New Years. I would imagine $20 is way cheaper than getting a rental car. The Holiday Inn Express didn't really use their shuttle but I don't know how likely any of them would drive you to the vet school. Hope that helped.

8. peachykeenies

peachykeenies Texas A&M c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Most of the questions were, for my interview, situations that you may encounter in the field (e.g. "You are a veterinarian and you are dealing with a client who is upset over such-and-such.") There were no technical questions. The way that the interview is set up (to my understanding) is that each question will assess a specific trait or set of traits like ethics or compassion, so you will get a mix of questions. However, don't try to figure out what they are trying to assess because it will be impossible to tell, and would keep you from answering clearly and honestly.

IMHO, it's best to provide a good, solid rationale behind whatever your opinion is and stick to it. My classmates have different stances on issues, so the interviewers won't be looking for one specific answer; A&M values different opinions, so long they are well thought out.

9. Tyler5

Tyler5

Pre-Veterinary
    Hey everyone, I just recently found this forum and wish I had known about it sooner. I also have an interview on lucky Friday the 13th at 9:25am. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of good example scenarios/ questions to help get my brain tuned in to ideas that might be helpful for the interview. So far I haven't prepared much and would appreciate any pointers, especially from those of yall who went through the MMI last year.

10. jalyndani

jalyndani Mississippi State 2016

Veterinary Student

Wtf, this post is in the wrong thread! Sorry everyone, this is supposed to be in the thread for Western. I didn't get an interview at TAMU.

For what it's worth, I do live in College Station so I can answer any questions you have about the area.

11. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm glad to hear that you got an interview!! Congrats! How did it go?

12. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Welcome! How did your interview go?

13. wonderyranch

wonderyranch

Pre-Veterinary
    CONGRATS TO ALL THE INTERVIEWEES! I hope everyones interviews went well today! If yours is tomorrow, good luck :luck: and stay calm... it's not that bad!!! I have mine tomorrow at 3:25 and I'm really looking forward to it!

14. mulletsarelove

mulletsarelove

Pre-Veterinary
    Good luck to people interviewing today! What did everyone think of the interview/school? I thought the interview was a lot better than I expected. It went pretty quickly once it got started and some I answered better than others but overall went fine.

15. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I thought it went better than expected. The first 2 stations I think I was still a bundle pf nerves and couldn't quite get my thoughts in order but after that it seemed to just flow. I know the interviewers weren't supposed to give any sort of body language but a few of then nodded at some points and even said "ok, good.." so that helped my nerves too. Good luck to those interviewing this afternoon.

16. BQ2009

BQ2009

Pre-Veterinary

Thanks! I thought it went really well and I feel very good about it. I actually thought it was kinda fun! Practicing answering scenarios beforehand really helped me. Additionally, I thought Dr. Rogers little introduction before it all started really helped especially letting us know they should have their poker faces on so don't worry if they don't smile (but I did get some nods and smiles). Hope everyone else did well! Sorry for the late responses, I had to fly back to Missouri but sent good vibes y'all's way yesterday :) Hope everyone is relaxing now...I went and got myself some Panda Express and a massage after mine :p

I missed the bit about sending thank you letters though. There was no way I could remember all 12 of their names. Not to mention, being my first interview I'm not quite sure about the etiquette of it all. Could anyone please explain? Thank you!

17. su_grad2007

su_grad2007 Texas A&M 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Last year they had us write general thank you notes that we sent to the vet school and then the vet school distributed them. We weren't given names or anything like that. In fact, we were told not to address them to particular people but just to use Dear Drs. or something like that. Not sure if that's what they'll have you do again this year or not though.

18. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Yeah, I think she said that if you wanted to send thank you notes, send them to the admissions office and they will send them to the right people from there. I think she also said that we didnt' have to remember their names so what su_grad2007 said, just address them broadly and send them to A&M

19. HopefulAg

HopefulAg Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    So there's still a round of interviews to go through? Seems quite late to be interviewing people lol. My second year I got interviewed on December 10th or so, which was during finals week, so I took a psychology final in a suit and jamboogied over to the MSL.

20. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    As far as I knew they were last weekend.... I haven't heard of anyone going later than that but I'm not 100% certain.

21. su_grad2007

Veterinary Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    All the interviews are done at one time now. They were Friday and Saturday last week.

22. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So I know we have a good while before decisions are sent out (mid-march i think).. but just out of curiousity, should we look for big or skinny envelopes in the mail with acceptances?

23. su_grad2007

Veterinary Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Last year skinny envelopes were rejection letters I believe. Big envelopes went for acceptances and weight list. Why the weight list got big envelopes I don't know, but I definitely wish somebody would have told me that before I got so excited about my large envelope. Oh well, I got to celebrate when I got my phone call :)

24. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ok, good to know... thanks. It's going to be a long wait until then, haha.

25. jlindp

jlindp DVM2BE

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Amen! I believe C/O 2014 found out in late February and C/O 2015 found out around A&M's Spring Break...about the 2nd week of March. So who knows! I'll expect March, but Lord knows I'll be freaking out every second until then. :scared:

Good luck to everyone! :luck: Let's all hope for some good news soon!

26. BQ2009

BQ2009

Pre-Veterinary
    This wait thing is agonizing. But.....to keep me busy I adopted two kittens :) A brother and sister and they are adorable! The female, however has a heart murmur. Living in the middle of nowhere Missouri there are no cardiologists around here so I had to drive to the University of Missouri to see one ( I felt like I was cheating on TAMU). In a few words, she has a grade 4/6 murmur from a ventricular septal defect with a maximal velocity of 6 m/s (which I believe they labled as appropriate?) and a mild amount of low velocity tricuspid valve regurgitation likely secondary to a dysplastic tricuspid valve. Fortunately, the doc said she should have a fairly normal, active life with an average life expectancy so I am very pleased. Its so frustrating that when we adopted her there was no mention of this murmur in medical records though she's had a spay....they had to have heard it then, right?! Oh well, of all the people that could have adopted her, she couldn't have picked a more caring, loving mom :D Just thought I'd share with y'all!

27. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I know, I'm so impatient, I just wanna know!! I think mostly because I was spoiled by Kansas letting me know like a week and a half after my interview. Haha, oh well...

Yay for new kitties! You'd think they would have found that then. Maybe the vet didn't record it if they did hear it? I know my doctors forget to write things in the files, especially during surgery. They mainly write down the anestesia, induction, ect.. Either way, I'm sure she found a wonderful home with you! :love:

28. BQ2009

BQ2009

Pre-Veterinary
    A week and a half??? That would be nice. Honestly, I don't know what takes so long if its based on a point system. I guess they are just crossing the T's and dotting their I's?

I'm thinking they heard the murmur but decided she would never get adopted if people knew she had one. It was a promotion of adopt her brother and get her free. I could see why they wouldn't want to seperate them but withholding that information is wrong. But yes, they are already spoiled rotten :D

29. ASUprevet

Pre-Veterinary
    Well, I got a phone call today (from Dr. Rogers, I believe) saying that I've been accepted to Texas A&M for an OOS position! The call completely took me by surprise because, for one, I never honestly thought I had a shot as an OOSer, and two,we weren't supposed to hear anything from them until Spring break! I don't know why the call came so early. I hope this doesn't get everyone freaked out. If you're IS, my guess is that you still have to wait a few more weeks.

30. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow! Congrats!!! That's awesome. Sounds like you're going to have a hard decision to make. Yeah, unfortunately us ISers have a while yet. Unless they're going to let us know early? But I doubt that.... Lol well again, Congrats!

31. ASUprevet

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you! And yes, I am blessed/cursed with a difficult decision. But many things are pointing me towards A&M.

Who knows, maybe they might surprise you and let you know earlier than expected!

32. arwinundomiel

arwinundomiel Texas A&M C/O 2016!

Pre-Veterinary
    Congratulations! That's great!!! :D. I'm really surprised they let you know so early!!! I'm hoping since this is the second year they're doing MMIs, they'll let us IS kids know a bit earlier too. Last year was haphazardly put together. ;).

33. zanydogz

zanydogz Texas A&M c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    Hi everyone! Sorry about the late posting...I just found this thread!

This is my first time applying to A&M and vet school in general so here's hoping! I interviewed on the 20th of January and found the MMI to be kinda stressful but fair. So we'll see what happens :) Do we really have to wait until mid-March to hear back from them? It just seems like a very long time...

ASUprevet: CONGRATS!!!! That's awesome! :D

34. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Welcome! Yeah, the MMI was pretty stressful but not as bad as I thought it would be. Typically I think they let OOS students know early but us ISers have to wait. Maybe in a couple more weeks we will know. To be honest this wait is agonizing. I'd prefer to know one way or the other so I can start making plans now. There isn't a whole lot of time between now and August. :confused:

35. mulletsarelove

mulletsarelove

Pre-Veterinary
    I think I saw on their calendar that they will notify on march 14. Does anyone know if they have anything where accepted students can go back and visit the school? I know their med school has that...I didn't feel.like I got a chance to learn much about the school on interview day so I'd love sn opportunity to learn more before I decide.

36. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Do you know where you saw that? Because I was looking at their calendars online and I couldn't find anything.

I'm sure you can schedule to have another tour. They're usually pretty good about offering tours throughout the semester. Also, they hold an Open House every spring where you can tour and learn more about the school As far as the date though, I'm not too sure.

37. mulletsarelove

mulletsarelove

Pre-Veterinary
    I mis-remembered-march 15th, not 14th.
    http://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/current/professional-calendar
    The open house is on april 14, so that's a little late haha. :p I may try to schedule another tour if I do get in.

38. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the link. :) Yeah, that is kinda late. But I'm sure they'll be able to do one for you before then.

39. ATX00

ATX00 Texas A&M CVM c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If there are specific questions you have about A&M, feel free to post them here! There are at least a handful of current students who post here regularly. :)

Crossing my fingers for all you guys! :D

40. mulletsarelove

mulletsarelove

Pre-Veterinary
    I don't really have any specific questions but I would love to hear a current student's perspective on what the best and worst things are about A&M. What makes them unique?

41. ATX00

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    A&M is pretty great. I am not a small town person, and I thought I would hate College Station, but it's actually really nice. It's small enough that nothing is very far away, which is important when you're so stressed and busy that you feel like to don't have time for basic life tasks like groceries and laundry! But it's still big enough to find whatever stores or stuff you need. Also rent is cheap!

This school, and really the whole city, is extremely friendly. People in general go beyond being polite, and the actual vet school is like this too. All the professors* and staff are great. Every single professor will go out of their way to help you, be available to you, offer review sessions, whatever. There is definitely the feeling of everyone (faculty, staff, and student peers) wanting every student to succeed. The faculty does a really good job of creating an air of cooperation that I think spreads to the students - everyone shares notes, study guides, flashcards, helpful websites, etc. to the whole class. I'm sure there are some really competitive people in every class at every vet school, but that's certainly not the norm here.

(*There is one professor we only see like 10 hours per semester who is completely nuts and most people don't like, but maybe she's only bad in comparison to all the other professors because they're all so friendly and great. I think her goal in life is to stress out vet students, but almost everyone gets As in her class anyway, so it doesn't really matter in the end.)

It's hard for me to say what's unique about A&M since it's the only vet school I've been to, but I'm sure the Aggie school spirit beats out every other school. :D Aggies are pretty fanatical, and everyone is really proud to be here. :)

I don't really know what the worst things about A&M are. I've heard that some other schools get more hands-on experience with live animals during first year, but I don't know. There are a couple classes/labs where they cram us into really small rooms, and I tend to be pretty claustrophobic, so that sucks and I wish we had bigger classrooms for a couple things. Second semester of first year is rough, and everyone tells us that it's the worst semester of vet school. So all my classmates and I are pretty miserable right now, but I'm still glad to be here most of the time! :rolleyes: I can't wait for summer...

Let me know if you have any other questions!

42. mulletsarelove

mulletsarelove

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks so much for your help! I've got a few more for you. :) When do you start getting hands on experience? When do surgeries start? I want to do exotics/wildlife-do you know much about what their caseload is like for that? As far as clinics go, do you normally have one case all to yourself or is it usually two or so people working together?

43. ATX00

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I only know the answers to a couple of your questions! Maybe someone else will chime in.

You get hands-on experience basically from the beginning, but working with live animals a very small part of your schedule at first. There's a class called Clinical Correlates first year where you learn how to do physical exams, write medical records, etc. You also have "husbandry rotations" where you and a couple other students are responsible for taking care of and feeding a horse/cow/ostrich every day for a week at a time. In Physiology lab, sometimes the experiments involve rats or dogs. And of course there are lots of club wetlabs and other optional programs where you can work with live animals.

Surgeries start second semester of second year.

I'm not sure about your other questions, but I think the wildlife/exotics caseload is pretty good. I know there are also summer opportunities to do research on wildlife/exotics, and there's a badass study abroad program doing vet stuff in Africa (but it's expensive :(). As for clinics, it may depend on the rotation or something, but I think for the most part it's one student per case.

44. Tickle My Paws

Tickle My Paws

Pre-Veterinary
    Long time listener, first time caller . . . in other words, I have been a lurker for awhile! Thank you so much for the great information on A&M! Can you offer any insight into the number of small animal and large animal cases that come through the clinics? Additionally, what variety of large animal patients are seen?

In first year what animals are you able to work with in anatomy lab (both large and small) and how many people are working together on a particular animal?

Sorry for all of the questions - there were not any students available to talk to after my interview!

45. ATX00

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Welcome to SDN! :D

VRIMP is in charge of residency/internship matching, so if you go to their website and click on program search, you can find info for caseloads at pretty much every school. For A&M cases per year, it says:
    Zoo/wildlife/exotic - 823
    LA/equine - 6000
    SA - 14142
    I believe the large animal caseload is one of the highest in the country, if not the highest, so there's probably as much variety as anywhere (or more!). :)

As for anatomy, first semester is small animal (99% dog, with a little cat thrown in). We were in groups of 3, and each group got their own dog for the semester. For spring, we spend about the first half of the semester on the horse, and then the rest is spent on goat, bovine, chicken, and swine. Each group of 6-7 people gets their own horse, but when we're going stuff like limbs, we split the group in half so it's 3 people working on each limb. I think each group will get their own goat, but we aren't there yet. :) I think there are fewer of the remaining species (pig, cow, chicken) to go around, but by that point in the semester, it's basically all comparative anatomy, so I doubt it's necessary for each group to have their own.

Keep the questions coming! It's helping me procrastinate. :p

46. BearKat17

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Omg.... These next few weeks feel like they are going to go by soooo slowly. Ughh... :bang:Lol is anyone else going crazy with this waiting?

47. arwinundomiel

arwinundomiel Texas A&M C/O 2016!

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm definitely going crazy. Luckily I have a roommate who's applying to pharmacy school at the same time so we're both going through the same stress. It's nice not going through it alone.

March 15th isn't as far away as we think it is though. I realized that today when I realized how little time I have to start studying for my two physiology tests before then. Lol.

48. zanydogz

zanydogz Texas A&M c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    I'm right there with you. This waiting is absolutely killing me. :annoyed: But we're almost there!

49. ASUprevet

Pre-Veterinary
    A current Texas A&M undergrad student told me that a professor from the Admissions committee told her that acceptance letters were sent out yesterday. Don't know her source, but that's what she told me.
    Good luck everyone!

50. bandierose

bandierose

Pre-Veterinary
    I hope this is true because the waiting is killing me. I really might stake out my mailbox... Fingers crossed (toes, arms, legs, and every other body part I can cross as well)

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal