Texas A&M c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats guys, I declined and will be going to Mississippi. Hopefully one of you lucky people got off the in state alternate list. Enjoy becoming a veterinarian!!!
Good luck in Mississippi. Thanks for making that decision quickly. It is very anxiety inducing to be on the wait list! That hopefully means only one more needs to decline until I am in! This is nerve wracking!..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does Texas A&M wait until the April 15th deadline to start pulling from the waitlists? I know some schools do that (drawing a blank on which ones).

Members don't see this ad :)
So who all is doing this anatomy workshop? I'm thinking I should, as I'm a non-TAMU undergrad without a gross anatomy class under my belt - pretty much exactly who it's designed for lol. Anyone else planning on taking it?

Reactions: 1 users
So who all is doing this anatomy workshop? I'm thinking I should, as I'm a non-TAMU undergrad without a gross anatomy class under my belt - pretty much exactly who it's designed for lol. Anyone else planning on taking it?

I definitely plan on taking it. I'm also a non-TAMU undergrad without any gross anatomy class. Anything that makes the transition easier, I say is worth it! (Plus it just sounds like fun!)

Also, does anyone know the parking situation at the vet school? I thought I saw parking specifically for veterinary students but I couldn't find any information on it.

I would think they'd start drawing from the IS list if the OOS list is exhausted. If you have space, why not fill it with qualified applicants (which everyone on the waitlist definitely is)? Makes sense to me.

@DrLongbraid and @DouglasVet - yes if the 10 OOS seats are not filled, they are filled by TX alternates (according to the Vet Med School Admissions Requirements book from AAVMC).

Alright y'all, I hate asking this question b/c I have yet to get a straight answer even after calling the school and being told someone would call back, but what is A&M's policy on terminal surgeries? I'm not looking for reasons you are for or against it, and it's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd like to know what exactly I will be expected to do BEFORE I sign my acceptance letter.

Are terminal surgeries performed in core classes? Electives?

If so, are alternatives available in core classes? Electives?

Thanks in advance. I will contact the school again, but if anyone wants to respond, it would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know the parking situation at the vet school? I thought I saw parking specifically for veterinary students but I couldn't find any information on it.

There is no veterinary student-only parking, but the lot you want is Lot 36. Parking sign-up typically becomes available in April and lasts through July. WHEN you sign up has no bearing on what permit you'll receive. It has to do with if you already hold the permit, how long you've been at the school, what your rank is (undergrad vs. grad), etc. Parking has been a bit of a debacle this year due to them closing Lot 24, where most of the 4VMs park. But it should be cleared up by the summer.

Alright y'all, I hate asking this question b/c I have yet to get a straight answer even after calling the school and being told someone would call back, but what is A&M's policy on terminal surgeries? I'm not looking for reasons you are for or against it, and it's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd like to know what exactly I will be expected to do BEFORE I sign my acceptance letter.

I'm not very sure myself, though my inclination is to say "yes." I'll ask some of the upperclassmen this week for a more definitive answer.

As far as parking goes if you can't get a lot 36 pass and just get any valid day permit (typically lot 100 will be your best bet), you can park on the majority of the lots on agronomy road such as 71 a-c and 88.

I live with a third year and I can tell you they do perform terminal surgeries, however when you start working on dogs/cats they are shelter animals and will not be terminal! But I know they had to euthanize their mice and I believe their goats.

But feel free to call admissions! I'm sure they can tell you more on what's expected throughout curriculum!

Sent in my seat acceptance today :) The admissions office told me I have to wait until I get a UIN to start the rabies series at Beutel...anyone else running into that problem?

PS I know we are still at least 4 months away...but I'm SO excited, y'all!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
@rockthatscoober I'm very excited! I sent in my seat acceptance and forgot to send the waiver (orange paper) so I had to send that separately haha whoops. I already have a UIN since I'm a current student, but luckily only the first booster is due by May 29th.

Members don't see this ad :)
If y'all have BlueCross BlueShield of TX, you can get your entire rabies series covered.

@rockthatscoober I also sent mine in! I actually ran into the UIN thing with the application for scholarship and requested one from records. You should already have one on file, you just have to ask for it. Apparently the number starts with your application and even continues on until you are a former student. However, before I'm able to get my Rabies Titer (I've had the post-exposure series so hopefully no more is needed! -if more is needed, I only need the booster, though. So not too bad!) I have to get a TAMU e-mail address which is an issue since you have to activate a Net ID and for some reason, the system isn't reading me in. -.- I'm working on solving that so I can get this rabies business taken care of, but it'll take more office calls. So if you run into that later, I'll probably have answers by then!

Sent in my seat acceptance today :) The admissions office told me I have to wait until I get a UIN to start the rabies series at Beutel...anyone else running into that problem?

PS I know we are still at least 4 months away...but I'm SO excited, y'all!!!!
@rockthatscoober I also sent mine in! I actually ran into the UIN thing with the application for scholarship and requested one from records. You should already have one on file, you just have to ask for it. Apparently the number starts with your application and even continues on until you are a former student. However, before I'm able to get my Rabies Titer (I've had the post-exposure series so hopefully no more is needed! -if more is needed, I only need the booster, though. So not too bad!) I have to get a TAMU e-mail address which is an issue since you have to activate a Net ID and for some reason, the system isn't reading me in. -.- I'm working on solving that so I can get this rabies business taken care of, but it'll take more office calls. So if you run into that later, I'll probably have answers by then!

Can we send the purple and orange separately from the other stuff? I wanted to send those in together ASAP, but I wasn't sure if everything else had to be with it.

Can we send the purple and orange separately from the other stuff? I wanted to send those in together ASAP, but I wasn't sure if everything else had to be with it.
From what I saw, only those two need to be sent in now. I'm sending the Anatomy Workshop registration form, all my transcripts, and immunization records seperately (and in varying ways...) later on.

I live with a third year and I can tell you they do perform terminal surgeries, however when you start working on dogs/cats they are shelter animals and will not be terminal! But I know they had to euthanize their mice and I believe their goats.
As a 2VM taking General Surgery & Anesthesia this semester, I can tell you that we will be doing terminal neuters on rabbits at the end of the semester. Beyond that, we haven't discussed it. However, I believe we (the students) will be (hopefully) waking the bunnies up from surgery, and the techs will be euthanizing later. I can double check, I was just chatting with one of the techs a few weeks ago and so not really making an effort to remember details.

Good to know! Did you just call the registrar's office to get your UIN? I didn't realize we needed one for the scholarship app too! Since I'll be gone all summer I really want to try to get everything done by May. ..I wish I had BCBS! UHC is giving me the runaround...doubtful they'll pay a penny of my rabies :yeahright:

@LivesintheLibrary my understanding is only the purple and orange are needed by the 15th of April, along with the scholarship app if you are doing it. The vaccinations are to have been started by May 29th and the Anatomy form can't be submitted until April 20th :)

For those who are currently 1st years or above, is there any opportunity to work during vet school? I've mentally prepared myself that the answer is most definitely "no", but I've worked a part-time job since I started my undergrad so I thought I would ask. Anyone else please feel free to input what you've heard from current students!

Good to know! Did you just call the registrar's office to get your UIN? I didn't realize we needed one for the scholarship app too! Since I'll be gone all summer I really want to try to get everything done by May. ..I wish I had BCBS! UHC is giving me the runaround...doubtful they'll pay a penny of my rabies :yeahright:

@LivesintheLibrary my understanding is only the purple and orange are needed by the 15th of April, along with the scholarship app if you are doing it. The vaccinations are to have been started by May 29th and the Anatomy form can't be submitted until April 20th :)

Thanks!

So as far as UINs go, I did my undergrad here so it's been a while, but if I remember correctly this is how they were assigned:

I got accepted my senior year of high school via howdy portal (which I'm assuming everyone will have access to soon). So before I was accepted I had access to it, but to gain access I had to set up a net ID shortly after applying- I think whenever A&M told me "we have all your stuff." My UINS was associated with my net ID so that's how I figured out that number. Here's my guess as far as what will happen for vet school: sometime after you accept your offer, then you'll get some kind of notification that you can set up your net ID via howdy. Don't quote me on that, but it makes sense based loosely on how it was done for undergrad. Hope this helps!

FYI, I live in Bryan but our insurance is through BCBS of Tennessee. Since rabies is not on the CDC recommended vaccination list for adults, they won't cover it. I love paying for insurance...

For those who are currently 1st years or above, is there any opportunity to work during vet school? I've mentally prepared myself that the answer is most definitely "no", but I've worked a part-time job since I started my undergrad so I thought I would ask. Anyone else please feel free to input what you've heard from current students!

I worked ~10-12 hours a week first semester as a tutor and I felt that my academic success wasn't impacted at all. This semester? You'd have to have a death wish, I think. Or just work the weekends...but even then...power to those people that can hold a job on top of all of the crazy of this semester. It should be noted that this semester has been structured muuuuuch differently than past years. I fully intend to work next year, though, when the schedule is a little more lax again.

I went here: http://registrar.tamu.edu/Former/UINRetrieval.aspx and filled out this form and sent it into records by e-mail: http://registrar.tamu.edu/forms/recordsrequest.pdf and requested my UIN be sent to me via e-mail. The whole process went by pretty fast! And @LivesintheLibrary I do think you're right! I'm waiting for my acceptance of the admission to go through and then I think the system will recognize me and I'll be able to activate my NetID for Howdy.

Also, I have UHC and I had a legitimate reason for getting the rabies post-exposure series (being associated with a cow with rabies) and they didn't pay a dime. They're good otherwise, but I doubt you'll get any money out of them for the shots. Sorry, @rockthatscoober.

I haven't worked, but I don't have a need/desire to. Several of my classmates have a job, either at the school--front desk, SA/LA hospital or lab--or at a grocery store part time. Some say it helps them manage their time better. It's possible, but it would help to be somewhere flexible for those weeks where the profs seem unable to schedule things properly! Or when you want a weekend off to attend one of our awesome wetlabs!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students know how many recently graduated dvms at tamu stay on to do a phd or research afterward?

I may be a bit neurotic, but has anyone had any trouble with admissions or yolanda taking forever to e-mail back regarding questions? I may just pop over to the Dean's office tomorrow and see if someone there can help...I may not have to work during vet school if I can pick up more shifts now, which is why I want to q drop one of my classes. I just don't want to make that call and them "rescind my offer of admission" I've worked too hard to let it go to waste now haha

Don't worry @Txvethopeful0913 I am sure they're just super busy right now...and I highly doubt they can rescind your offer as long as the class you're dropping isn't a prerequisite! :)

I may be a bit neurotic, but has anyone had any trouble with admissions or yolanda taking forever to e-mail back regarding questions? I may just pop over to the Dean's office tomorrow and see if someone there can help...I may not have to work during vet school if I can pick up more shifts now, which is why I want to q drop one of my classes. I just don't want to make that call and them "rescind my offer of admission" I've worked too hard to let it go to waste now haha

I actually went in yesterday and asked the front desk about Q dropping. They said it was fine as long as it wasn't a prerequisite.

Hahah thanks! I went into the Dean's office today after class, and they told me!

Has anyone heard about the Facebook page yet? I figured I'd start looking for textbooks and all that fun stuff sooner rather than later haha

It's the responsibility of our class and we're currently going through hell week. Hopefully it'll be created middle of next week when we get a brief reprieve.

So does Texas A&M call people off the waitlist as spots become available or wait until after April 15th?

Hey guys! I'm new to SDN, as of today, but I will be joining those that have been accepted for c/o 2019! I'm so excited!!!

My friend was on the waitlist last year and got called at the end of april! She was number 8 or 9 on the IS waitlist!

So does Texas A&M call people off the waitlist as spots become available or wait until after April 15th?

So I called the other day to ask about how to check if our documents were received and I was told that if they for some reason don't have your documents by April 15th, they'll call you to verify everything rather than just give away your spot. So that makes me think that the waitlist won't really start moving until after the April deadline unless people decline their offers early in which case I would imagine you would be notified before then. Also, if I remember correctly from looking at previous years' statistics, it looks like they don't always fill their quota of OOS so I would imagine that the OOS list will get quite a bit of movement and they may dip into the IS again after that which is good news for both waitlists, but I don't remember for sure. I hope this helps!

I'm glad they don't just give away our spots! I was just thinking when I should call and confirm they received everything.

So I called the other day to ask about how to check if our documents were received and I was told that if they for some reason don't have your documents by April 15th, they'll call you to verify everything rather than just give away your spot. So that makes me think that the waitlist won't really start moving until after the April deadline unless people decline their offers early in which case I would imagine you would be notified before then. Also, if I remember correctly from looking at previous years' statistics, it looks like they don't always fill their quota of OOS so I would imagine that the OOS list will get quite a bit of movement and they may dip into the IS again after that which is good news for both waitlists, but I don't remember for sure. I hope this helps!
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing about the previous class statistics. I hope we're both right. I emailed Yolanda to ask some other questions about the waitlists along with this one, and I'll post the results when I get a response. It definitely would be devastating if they gave away someone's spot because they didn't have all the paperwork!

Hey yall!!! Please anyone with information on housing and living let me know. I really wanna start looking around and try to have everything planned out early so I don't have to worry about it later. Thanks!!!! Feel free to email me too! My email is [email protected]

Hey yall!!! Please anyone with information on housing and living let me know. I really wanna start looking around and try to have everything planned out early so I don't have to worry about it later. Thanks!!!! Feel free to email me too!

Feel free to PM me about housing, hopefully I can point you in the right direction. You may want to take your email off here though, I'd hate for you to get spam!

Hey yall!!! Please anyone with information on housing and living let me know. I really wanna start looking around and try to have everything planned out early so I don't have to worry about it later. Thanks!!!! Feel free to email me too! My email is [email protected]
If anyone needs a place for anatomy workshop for the summer, I live super close to campus and am looking to sublet for this summer. Let me know if you're interested!

So I am looking at a couple houses in the historical part of bryan and Im wondering how safe the area is? Mostly streets between Sue Haswell Park and Blinn College if that makes sense. Also, any word on a fb group?

That area seems pretty safe, let's just say it looks a little sketchy. I live off William J. Bryan just a little closer to Hwy 6 from there.

So I am looking at a couple houses in the historical part of bryan and Im wondering how safe the area is? Mostly streets between Sue Haswell Park and Blinn College if that makes sense. Also, any word on a fb group?

I don't know about the safety of those specific streets for sure, but some of the houses in the historic district are really cool. Your utilities will also be cheaper in Bryan which is a plus. I'm not sure if you're looking for somewhere with a bus route by it, but I don't think buses run in that area, but they've changed the routes some so I may be wrong. I sent a whole list of housing options to someone the other day and I'd be glad to forward it along, but most of the places are apartments or in the college station area if anyone is looking into those types.

Hi, everyone! I accepted my seat just recently. I was just wondering if I could get some information about housing options in the area. Does anyone know of a facebook page or a way I can contact current vet students about housing options? I know a lot of the time housing opens as students graduate. I'm from NY and not familiar with the College Station area. I am just really looking for a safe, cheap place to live that I can bring my cat lol.

I don't know about the safety of those specific streets for sure, but some of the houses in the historic district are really cool. Your utilities will also be cheaper in Bryan which is a plus. I'm not sure if you're looking for somewhere with a bus route by it, but I don't think buses run in that area, but they've changed the routes some so I may be wrong. I sent a whole list of housing options to someone the other day and I'd be glad to forward it along, but most of the places are apartments or in the college station area if anyone is looking into those types.

Thanks! I was looking at some of the houses from this company: http://www.picketfenceproperties.info/index.html. They look like such cute houses! Ill have a car so being close to a bus line isn't necessary. The list of housing options would be great! Ill be moving from CT with my dog, cat and cockatiel so I need somewhere that is pet friendly. I am also looking for a roommate, so if you know anyone looking who doesn't mind my menagerie of animals let me know.

Hi, everyone! I accepted my seat just recently. I was just wondering if I could get some information about housing options in the area. Does anyone know of a facebook page or a way I can contact current vet students about housing options? I know a lot of the time housing opens as students graduate. I'm from NY and not familiar with the College Station area. I am just really looking for a safe, cheap place to live that I can bring my cat lol.

I don't think the Facebook page has been started yet, normally the class ahead of the incoming one will start it, but I'm sure there will be even more options on there. I think most places are cat friendly, so you should have plenty of options there.

Thanks! I was looking at some of the houses from this company: http://www.picketfenceproperties.info/index.html. They look like such cute houses! Ill have a car so being close to a bus line isn't necessary. The list of housing options would be great! Ill be moving from CT with my dog, cat and cockatiel so I need somewhere that is pet friendly. I am also looking for a roommate, so if you know anyone looking who doesn't mind my menagerie of animals let me know.

I don't know if you've tried Aggieland Apartment Finders, but they have tons of properties that are pet friendly, so if picket fence doesn't work out, they could be a good place to look for you.

Welcome from up north both of you!

This is the list I sent someone else, this is by no means comprehensive, 100% accurate, or mean these are good or bad places, but just my or my friend's experiences with them from undergrad or what I could think of via location. I hope this helps and if anyone on here knows more please add/comment/correct me on any of these so people can have a good idea of where to move:

Places that are the equivalent of off-campus housing for freshmen:
Callaway House and Callaway Villas
Traditions at Northgate
Cambridge

Places really close to the Vet School (these are all on Wellborn road and should take you less than 5 minutes to get to school):
Z Islander- I've never heard anything good about. The inside of the units aren't bad, but I wouldn't waste your time looking there.
Reveille Ranch and Aggie Station: I have friends that lived there, and I don't remember hearing anything terrible or anything awesome, so it may be worth checking out. As far as I remember they liked living there.
I could have sworn there was a fourth one down Wellborn, but for some reason I can't think of it right now, which may be a good sign since nothing glaring is standing out in my mind about it.

Places that are off 2818 (AKA Harvey Mitchell Parkway), most of these I can't remember hearing good or bad things about, but these are all mostly filled with undergraduate students (which I have nothing against, but if you're looking for other graduate students, these may not be your place). Harvey Mitchell can also back up pretty decently in the morning and afternoon hours, so you'll have to plan for that:
2818 Place and Parkway Place- I think these two are nice, but I know they're expensive. I've heard good things about the pool at each. They're side by side so it's hard to differentiate. And I've never been inside.
The cottages: These are great because of the amenities, pet friendliness, and multiple types of floor plans. The cons: I know very few people who have liked living there. Apparently the party scene is pretty big there, and some of my friends have had some issues with it. I've also heard bad things about the traffic within the complex, but I wouldn't write it completely off, but I wouldn't put it as a top choice either.
The Barracks: Ok so I think they are off 2818, but I haven't been there before so, don't quote me on that. But, all of my friends that have lived there really like it and the many floor plans offered.

Places off of or on Holleman Drive. Holleman can have some traffic issues, but living there gives you a lot of different routes to use to get to school, so unlike other areas (2818) you can get around it:
The Enclave: I'm not a fan of the location, because it's tricky to get in an out of, but the units are decent, and I think decently priced.
Midtown Townhomes: I love these, and actually considered living there, but they only have 4 bedroom options, so it didn't work for me. But these are cheap, huge, and really nice. I have friends that have lived there for 3 years and are really happy with their decision. I think these may be pet friendly, but I can't remember.
Lexington and whatever one that's right beside it and looks just like it: cheap, but older and I wasn't very convinced of the safety.
There's a lot of houses off of holleman that could be worth looking into if you want a house
The Zone: I have friends that lived there, as far as I remember nothing bad or awesome, so it may be worth looking into.

Places in the Luther St Area:
The District: My experience there well... I wouldn't say it was terrible, but I wouldn't say it was great either. My biggest issue was the management. The units weren't great, but definitely not the worst I've seen--the furniture that comes with the furnished option is definitely NOT the nice pretty stuff you see in pictures/tours.
UClub: These are all 4x4 town homes and they're really nice and pet friendly. That being said, the Luther St area was never anticipated to be really populated so it gets really crazy during peak traffic times and UClub only has one entrance/exit which dumps onto the busiest street (who's name evades me now) so it can be a nightmare getting in and out, but their furnishings are very nice and so are the units. They've also added new streets around there so it may have gotten better.
The Quarters: they look like really nice places and the location looked nice, but I remember them being overpriced for me personally, so I kept looking.
The Heights: It recently changed names to something else, but I had friends that lived there and didn't have terrible or awesome things to say, so I think it'd be worth looking into, along with Lakewood Townhomes, and I don't know anyone who looked into Fox Run, but that's another one that could be worth your time.

Places on University across so further away, but if you need to use Highway 6 (Earl Rudder) for any reason, these can be nice:
Gateway Villas: I really loved these town homes, so these are worth talking to a realtor about. I didn't care for the location (again personal preference), but my friends that live there love it, and the insides are great.
Laurel Ridge Townhomes: cheap and nice units, but when my roommate and I looked there, we didn't leave feeling very safe, so we kept looking. Not to say that it's terrible, but we just knew there was more out there.

Places on University before you get to Texas (better location):
The Rise: VERY EXPENSIVE. I didn't even bother looking.
Northpoint Crossing: I don't know anyone who's lived there, but the location made me weary at the huge intersection, but they've done really good things to combat traffic in that area. So it could be a fantastic location, but definitely try to ask people who live there.
The Stack: I didn't want to live that close to Northgate (the bar district) because of the noise, so I avoided this one, and I'm pretty sure it's on the pricy side, but it may be worth looking into, I'm pretty sure the units are supposed to be nice.
A lot of places have just popped up like crazy in this area, and didn't even exist when I moved here.

Hopefully that can get you started. I used Aggieland Apartment Finders, and they have TONS of listings all over town and showed us a bunch that we really liked, so if townhomes/flats/condos are what you're looking for, it's worth giving them a call. There's going to be a lot of undergraduate students in most places, but I would say condos/townhomes probably have more variety of student types if that's something that matters to you. I hope this helps!

As I said, these are the places I think you'll see the most advertisements from, but there are tons! Hopefully you can find something and others can chime in and add to the list.

Last edited: