Texas A&M c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
woohoo this is great, thanks! I am so anxious and excited to move....is it July yet?!

Members don't see this ad.

They started the Facebook! I was just added to it. You can probably search it or I'm guessing they will add you soon!

Reactions: 1 user
@LivesintheLibrary Have you heard anything about Willow Oaks apartments? Also how is traffic on University Drive? Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
@LivesintheLibrary Have you heard anything about Willow Oaks apartments? Also how is traffic on University Drive? Thanks for all the help!

The name isn't ringing a bell for me. Traffic really depends on where on university drive you are. Main campus is laid out in a grid made up of Texas Avenue and Wellborn Rd both running north-south and George Bush Dr and University Dr (AKA FM 60 or Raymond Stotzer Parkway) both running East-west. If you live off of university it will be a pretty straight shot from the vet school to your house. Traffic is really only bad during peak times (7:30-9ish am and (5-7pm), but at those times traffic is bad anywhere so it's not a huge deal. The big highway is highway 6 and if you need to use it frequently, living off of university but across texas can give you great access to the freeway. Traffic backs up because CSTAT wasn't laid out to handle 70 thousand students between A&M and Blinn, but "bad traffic" is relative haha.

The current FB page is set to be deleted, I believe. There was an error in the requirements for incoming members (something about a valid tamu.edu address?). So, hold tight. Kinks are still being worked out!

Typically they'll approve everyone who wants to join the Facebook page initially, and then once your assigned a tamu.cvm.edu email, they'll go thru and remove the hanger-ons that don't belong. They'll also delete ppl who join and then spam the heck out of the page. But once the 1VM's get your page up and running, you'll be overcome with housing and roommate offers from classmates and upperclassmen. Don't worry!

Last edited:
How do we set up a tamu.cvm.edu email? For some weird reason, I can't get into the cvm portal anymore either...

And is anyone out there a current vet student that wants a roommate/knows another vet student who does?

The school will set up the email for you, i don't remember when it happens but probably not till August. For roommates, you can either wait, or try to join the upperclass pages maybe to find roommates? Last month one of the 4VM guys was looking, but I haven't heard recently of anyone else. There really isn't a hurry right now unless you're getting kicked out of your place in the next month. I know of a couple current 1VMs who wish they'd waited to rent a place bc so many others rented then advertised for roommates. It's the same every year.

I don't know about you guys, but I am still struggling with the realness of getting into vet school!
I have pretty much turned the to-do list they sent into a to-done list, and now all I can think about is orientation! It can't some soon enough.

So then I looked up TAMU orientatio for vet school on google, and there are pictures from last year's orientation! I squealed like a small child, and then immediately became nervous. Ahhh, the emotional roller coaster is just beginning. Anywho, just to warn everyone who is more of an introvert like myself, we are going to be doing alllllllllll kiiiiiiinds of talking/roleplaying/funsies. Prepare yourselves!

Just wanted to share!

I'm an introvert. Orientation wasn't too bad. And I hear they took out the highly inappropriate game where you had to try to order yourselves in a line 1 - 8, numerically, in a room with 200 other people...with your eyes closed. Things could be grabbed that only your SO should be grabbing. It was stressful no matter who you were.

Members don't see this ad :)
The FB group is up. I don't know if it's searchable, but if you PM your name, I can get you added. Yay!

Update: It's been changed from secret to closed, so you should be able to add yourself and then someone will confirm.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/336146536532295/

Last edited:
Whoops, I did not mean to copy that post. Computers aren't my strong suit.

I had a question mostly for returning Aggies regarding sports passes. I've had a sports pass throughout undergrad and I believe all grad students are able to purchase them as well, but I'm not sure how many do. Is it feasible to go to some A&M games, or do most vet students decide to forgo the additional cost?

We had a ton of students pulling for tickets last semester...so I can say that vet students definitely keep/buy sports passes or borrow them from other people.

Sent in my acceptance paperwork...

When I was eight or nine years old and I saw the large animal hospital for the first time (we had a pony emergency), I said to my mom, "This is where I'm going to vet school."

Apparently I was right! :banana:

Reactions: 9 users
If anyone is still looking for roommates, I've been looking to 3BR house options. Apartments are fine too, I just haven't looked into those yet. I have two cats and some furniture (bedroom stuff, a desk, some chairs, and living room area type stuff). Feel free to message me here OR if you're on the Facebook group, it's pretty obvious who I am. ;)

So, the realness of vet school is setting in for me. I'm from NY and I am PUMPED about going to A&M. I am BEYOND ready to leave NY and start the next chapter of my life.
I am also a bit panicked about finding housing because I am trying to organize seeing a few places and making a decision in late may/early June and I am not familiar with the area. Do you guys think that is a bit late to find something? I have contacted a few people on the Facebook page about it and I am awaiting a few responses. One place seems pretty promising and I have been talking to her for a few weeks. In my college town, all of the leases for leases starting in August are signed around March. I am just afraid these people aren't going to hold my spot or will bail on me before I get a spot. Can someone from the area tell me that I am being irrational? lol

Do you guys think that is a bit late to find something? I have contacted a few people on the Facebook page about it and I am awaiting a few responses. One place seems pretty promising and I have been talking to her for a few weeks. In my college town, all of the leases for leases starting in August are signed around March. I am just afraid these people aren't going to hold my spot or will bail on me before I get a spot. Can someone from the area tell me that I am being irrational? lol

You should be fine, though you may have fewer options the longer you wait. A good deal of places pre-lease in April and May, but I kept checking realty sites and CL all throughout last summer and there was still a bunch of apartments/duplexes/houses available. The FB page should start getting more housing ads here in the next few weeks, too. Don't fret too much! :)

So, the realness of vet school is setting in for me. I'm from NY and I am PUMPED about going to A&M. I am BEYOND ready to leave NY and start the next chapter of my life.
I am also a bit panicked about finding housing because I am trying to organize seeing a few places and making a decision in late may/early June and I am not familiar with the area. Do you guys think that is a bit late to find something? I have contacted a few people on the Facebook page about it and I am awaiting a few responses. One place seems pretty promising and I have been talking to her for a few weeks. In my college town, all of the leases for leases starting in August are signed around March. I am just afraid these people aren't going to hold my spot or will bail on me before I get a spot. Can someone from the area tell me that I am being irrational? lol

First of all congratulations! Second of all, I am still on the waiting list (come on April!) but I have contacted a leasing office and am on a list there so as properties come available they are letting me know so I can decide what to do. I feel worse case scenario I lose a deposit, best case scenario I have a place to live. I am in Germany so am doing all of this sight unseen but am trusting pictures, etc. If you want to go ahead and rent something then you may just have to do so without actually seeing it in person. I did my undergraduate and there are several affordable areas off Villa Maria behind the vet school that are pet friendly. That is the area that I am looking at for myself once I get the official word (hopefully!).

Sometimes I just want to scream and do a little jig when I remember I was accepted to vet school.

I'm trying to remember to enjoy this period of not being in school, but it's so difficult! I can't wait to meet everyone at orientation :)

Hello horse peeps,

I have a horse and was wondering if anyone could talk a bit about boarding facilities or renting small acreage outside of CS. Thanks!

Hello horse peeps,

I have a horse and was wondering if anyone could talk a bit about boarding facilities or renting small acreage outside of CS. Thanks!

Sandie you may want to try cowboy country. You can just board your horse there or live there and board your horse there. I've heard good things about it and if I remember correctly, the price is insanely affordable. They have several arenas, but if you're looking for a training program I think you'd have to trailer elsewhere for lessons. I'm not sure what discipline you do, but there are some options for everyone. The GHHJA and THJA websites have options for the H/J barns, and I know of one eventing barn off the top of my head. I think horse haven has boarders of all disciplines, but you'll have to fact check me on that. I'm not familiar with the western barns, but I know there are at least several in the area. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
I have two horses here in college station, and know two other vet students that board at the facility I use! It's formally known as Stornaway, but the new owners re-named it Stall and Oats. There are two arenas (one covered, and one uncovered), two round pens two wash racks, and several turnout pastures. They offer two different boarding options, I'm in partial care and pay $260/ horse but there are full care options for a little over $400/ month. We have a decent mix of English and Western, with both jumps and barrels. I would call soon and at least get on a waiting list for fall :)

@Txvethopeful0913 do you know if leasing is popular in the area? I would love to be able to ride, but can't commit to owning a hose right now. Im thinking something like a half lease would be a good compromise.

I think some of the lesson barns in the area lease horses, my barn is all boarders with no lesson horses. Three Brother's is a good option, or Sundown farms (I believe) offer leasing! I would even ask about Horse Haven or best little horse house!

great. Thanks! Cant wait to get there in the fall!

Also I may or may not be getting a third horse coming here soon (my parents want to send there horse to live with me) and would love the extra help in exchange for 24/7 access to him for riding. (I already barely have time for my two, and only one of them is rideable lol) But they have been going back and forth on whether or not they want to send him or when they will send him, so this could just as easily not happen.

I got my call today from Yolanda, and it looks like I'll be joining y'all in the fall! SO EXCITED!

Reactions: 7 users
I got my call today from Yolanda, and it looks like I'll be joining y'all in the fall! SO EXCITED!

Congratulations! I hope they start calling the in state waiting list soon! I hate this waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question for first years or above, my estimated aid that was stated on my Fafsa is significantly lower than what my friends who are in vet school were offered. I'm currently a grad student so I didn't know if they based the aid off the aid I received this year, and hopefully when TAMU gets back to them my offer will go up. I'm just having a minor panic attack because I was expecting to be offered way more!

Were you estimated $20,500? Thats what it says I will receive right now, but based on what I've heard they adjust it based what your school estimates for tuition + cost of living. IS for TAMU I believe its around $37,000 and then you can also get Grad Plus loan with a higher interest rate if you need more. Someone correct me if Im wrong...

The maximum you get for Federal Direct Unsub loans is $40,500 per year, for Years 1-3. You get more your 4th Year. That's for all veterinary students attending US institutions. For A&M, as an ISer, you can only get up to the cost of attendance, since it's less than the $40,500. Unless you are OOS or have some kind of extenuating circumstances, you should NOT need to utilize Grad PLUS. It is very easy to live cheaply in CS, even when you're spending a ton on living expenses like I am. I'm hoping to change that, so I'll be spending $300/mo less next year. But you can live here without coming close to the estimated Room & Board listed on the site. That is unless, like I mentioned before, you have something going on that requires you to have extra costs. Try to avoid Grad PLUS if you can at all, though.

yes @RJ414 that was my estimated contribution! That makes me feel so much better! Thanks @epivetlove for your input as well. I have the Hazlewood act, but only have enough left to cover first year!

I was looking at my SAR and I don't see estimated aid anywhere.. Am I looking in the wrong spot? I see my EFC, but I just want to make sure I'm not having a brain muffin and missing anything muy importante...

Anyone on the instate list called yet? Based on past years it should be soon!

This waiting is killing me!!

Waiting list is moving!! I just got called and was #2!! See you guys in the Fall!! SO happy!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
On the scholarship application (yes, I procrastinated), when it asks about student organization positions and awards, does that include undergraduate stuff? Or is it only in association with the organizations listed?

I'm on the wait list too! Which number are you?

What number are you? I'm number 8. Just confirmed with admissions that they have only called the first 6 off of the waitlist.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the process is for selecting wait listed applicants AFTER available seats are filled (from applicants declining seats)?

For example, would it only be if someone who has already accepted their seat were to drop out for some reason?

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Anyone know what the process is for selecting wait listed applicants AFTER available seats are filled (from applicants declining seats)?

For example, would it only be if someone who has already accepted their seat were to drop out for some reason?

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

If the class if currently full (i.e. all seats have been "accepted"), then the only way to get called off the waitlist is if someone who has currently accepted withdraws for whatever reason, be it a personal reason or if they get called off a waitlist of a school that they ranked higher.

I just left a voice mail on Yolanda Brinkman's phone, but does anyone know with certainty what we are supposed to do with the vaccination forms? I'm done with my vaccinations, but now I'm stuck looking at these forms wondering what I need to do. I am over 22, but I still received the meningitis vaccine. I guess I'm wondering if I need to take it to a doctor (I don't use a family practitioner regularly, so I would have to make an appointment exclusively to transcribe vaccines), or if I can go to campus and get it done there..
I have my records.. I made copies of everything. I might be over-analyzing at this point, but I'm not sure how to appropriately send these forms in.

Just send in the copy of your records with the meningitis form and the vaccine record form. I talked to Yolanda and as long as you've got copies you don't need a doctor to sign them!

Hooray! Thank you for that information. I appreciate it!