Texas A&M c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question: anyone know what happens if you submit your application and then have an evaluator flake out on you? Can you edit them to change an evaluator after submission??

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question: anyone know what happens if you submit your application and then have an evaluator flake out on you? Can you edit them to change an evaluator after submission??

Yeah I think so! If you look at the bottom of this page it gives pretty good instructions

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when TMDSAS stopped working on Chrome ? It was working when I started my apps earlier this summer and now I have to download Firefox to finish... +pissed+

I had the same problem! So frustrating...I love how the two they said it works on are Firefox and INTERNET EXPLORER...why?! :bullcrap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it won't change until after the deadline. From my understanding TAMU doesn't do rolling admissions and starts processing applications after the Oct. 1st deadline

Thanks for your reply! @Txvethopeful0913

I had never visited Texas A&M Vet School and it will be my first time applying to TAMU. I would like to know how is the city (Austin) where is located this vet school? And what do you like most about TAMU?

Thanks for your reply! @Txvethopeful0913

I had never visited Texas A&M Vet School and it will be my first time applying to TAMU. I would like to know how is the city (Austin) where is located this vet school? And what do you like most about TAMU?

Not who you were talking to, but A&M isn't in Austin. It's in College Station, which is about 2 hours from Austin. It's a quintessential college town--tons of undergrads, fairly affordable housing and low cost of living, a decent mall, two movie theater, Northgate (bar district), and a huge sports scene (people are nuts about their football here). We are close to Houston, Dallas, and Austin if you feel you need to get away. It's not the most amazing place to spend 4 years, but at least it's only 4 years.

Just wanted to say the application process can be extremely stressful but it is so worth it in the end. I am a 1VM now at A&M and loving it although it is a lot of work. Please let me know if you have any questions.. I am happy to help!

So I emailed Yolanda a little more than a week ago about a specific problem I'm having with my app. Does anyone know how long she generally takes to reply?

Hey OP,

I'm not sure of there is a way to edit the thread, but it might be a good idea to try to add "tags" to your post such as tamu, veterinary, 2020, etc. It will help the link to your thread be searchable on Google.

That way we can get even more input! :)

Also,

This is my third time applying to TAMU, the first time I was outright rejected, second time I was wait listed and missed matriculation by two spots. I'm really hoping that the third time is the charm.

I hope I can be a resource to anyone applying! Good luck!

So I emailed Yolanda a little more than a week ago about a specific problem I'm having with my app. Does anyone know how long she generally takes to reply?

She's usually been fairly prompt in the past, but I expect it might take a little longer right now since apps are due pretty soon. If you need a more immediate response, calling might be a better option!

@DouglasVet Third time is the charm :) I'm a third timer who is now a 1VM and it's so worth the wait. Best of luck!

do you guys know where i can take statistics 2 online? i already graduated but i haven't taken it yet (it would be nice if i could take it online and not go back to school due to jobs and everything :/ )

Just curious--why do you need Statistics 2? Unless things have changed since I applied, we only needed one semester of Statistics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took wrong statistics :/ I meant statistics that qualify as pre-req

I took wrong statistics :/ I meant statistics that qualify as pre-req

Ah, I see. I would contact someone in the admission's office to see if any online statistics courses would be accepted. When I applied, only a handful of classes could be taken online and still count.

Hello guys,

I have a quick question. After you have interviewed, does the committee take into your account your whole application to determine if they will accept you or will they accept you solely based on your interview from then on?

Thanks guys! Good luck to everyone!

Hello guys,

I have a quick question. After you have interviewed, does the committee take into your account your whole application to determine if they will accept you or will they accept you solely based on your interview from then on?

Unless things have changed, you are ranked based on the total amount of points that you accumulate--so you're given a rank to determine interview invites, then your interview score gets added, plus any other points from fall grades. If you are in the bottom 20% (I think this is the number) of interview scores, you are automatically rejected regardless of your other stats. Hopefully that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless things have changed, you are ranked based on the total amount of points that you accumulate--so you're given a rank to determine interview invites, then your interview score gets added, plus any other points from fall grades. If you are in the bottom 20% (I think this is the number) of interview scores, you are automatically rejected regardless of your other stats. Hopefully that helps.

Thank you for your reply epivetlove!

I just want to make sure I understand you clearly. The part about bottom 20%: If after your interview, your interview score alone is at the bottom 20% of all interview scores then you get rejected automatically even before your interview points are added to your total application score and points from fall grades, correct?

I just want to make sure I understand you clearly. The part about bottom 20%: If after your interview, your interview score alone is at the bottom 20% of all interview scores then you get rejected automatically even before your interview points are added to your total application score and points from fall grades, correct?

Exactly. Unless things have changed this year.

Hello guys,

Epivetlove answered your question correctly, but TAMU's website has a point breakdown on the prospective student's page: http://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/future/selection-procedure. It's at the bottom, under the heading 'Final Selection' and talks about the interviews, too.

Good luck!

Has anybody else been unable to confirm their application on the TAMU website? My confirmation page only shows 2 out of 3 evaluation letters.

The final day to confirm is almost a month away, on 12/18. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Has anybody else been unable to confirm their application on the TAMU website? My confirmation page only shows 2 out of 3 evaluation letters. I emailed them more than a month ago, and it still hasn't changed.

The final day to confirm is almost a month away, on 12/18. Good luck everyone!

I just confirmed my application. I didn't realize we had to do that!! Hah, so I'm really glad you said something.

Did all your evaluators submit everything? One of my evaluators realized she didn't submit part of the eLOR so she contacted TAMU about it and was able to re-submit. Did TAMU say they received all of you evaluations? I would contact them again.

Good luck! :cat:

On a side note, I'm trying to figure out why my calculated GPA for TMDSAS is lower than my calculated VMCAS GPA. Anyone know how they calculate it differently? It's lower on TMDSAS :confused:

I just confirmed my application. I didn't realize we had to do that!! Hah, so I'm really glad you said something.

Did all your evaluators submit everything? One of my evaluators realized she didn't submit part of the eLOR so she contacted TAMU about it and was able to re-submit. Did TAMU say they received all of you evaluations? I would contact them again.

Freaking out now because not sure if I confirmed or not... What site is it on? Just the TAMU one?

Freaking out now because not sure if I confirmed or not... What site is it on? Just the TAMU one?

Yes. You login to the TAMU website and view your application, check the box that everything is accurate, and save confirmation!

My TMDSAS app says that all of my letters of recommendation were received and approved. I guess I could contact my 3rd evaluator and ask him to call and make sure, but it seems like it has been done correctly.

Last edited:
On a side note, I'm trying to figure out why my calculated GPA for TMDSAS is lower than my calculated VMCAS GPA. Anyone know how they calculate it differently? It's lower on TMDSAS :confused:
Did you take any courses outside of your undergrad? Every class you've taken for any college credit counts on the GPA. I had some Dual Credit courses from high school that counted, which raised my GPA. It's possible that that's the cause.

My TMDSAS app says that all of my letters of recommendation were received and approved. I guess I could contact my 3rd evaluator and ask him to call and make sure, but it seems like it has been done correctly. There's even a typo on one of my evaluators where there is an extra comma between his last and first names! Needless to say, I'm not very happy with this right now.
I have the double comma error too!!

I have the double comma error too!!
I don't think it's a big deal, just weird that it comes up like that.

Did you contact A&M by email or by phone? I sent another email to Yolanda Brinkman this morning.

I think they take out all +/- grades, so an A- becomes an A, B+ becomes a B, etc.

My 3rd letter writer has appeared! I'm relieved.

And you're right superkelpie, +/- is taken out when calculating the GPAs.

My 3rd letter writer has appeared! I'm relieved.

And you're right superkelpie, +/- is taken out when calculating the GPAs.

Yay! I feel like as soon as you start to worry about something an obscene amount, that's the moment when it takes care of itself. Glad it all worked out :)

I think they take out all +/- grades, so an A- becomes an A, B+ becomes a B, etc.
Hmm I don't have +/- grades. Oh well, it's only 0.05 points lower than the VMCAS GPA, haha I'm probably worrying for no reason.

Waiting to hear back from schools is so stressful. I will probably need therapy after this process:scared:

Do any current students know the weekend that interviews are going to happen this year? It looks like it's always been the second weekend of Jan, but I want to make sure I don't schedule any of my other interviews on the weekend Texas does theirs in case I get one here!!

We haven't been told for sure, but it should be Jan. 8th and 9th.

Edit: Found this on the Professional Calendar:

"1/8/2016 Projected Start of Applicant Interviews"
"1/9/2016 Completion of Applicant Interviews (anticipated)"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just got my letter in the mail about meeting course requirements! So exciting to see the process move along, but the next three weeks of waiting are going to be brutal haha

Just got my letter in the mail about meeting course requirements! So exciting to see the process move along, but the next three weeks of waiting are going to be brutal haha

Me too! Had to call to correct a few things and now I'm a nervous wreck wondering if they were actually corrected...:oops:

Also I've just been thinking "I'll hear back in December" so you saying 3 weeks has me like :wow:

A couple questions:
1. How long does Yolanda Brinkman take to respond to her emails? I sent her an email on Monday.
2. Does anyone know if TAMU has ever in special circumstances overlooked a prerequisite?
3. Has TAMU ever in special circumstances performed video conferencing interviews? I am out of the country for 10 months, and if I get an interview it could be challenging to afford the plane ticket home.

A couple questions:
1. How long does Yolanda Brinkman take to respond to her emails? I sent her an email on Monday.

At this point, I think you'd have better luck calling. I rarely had luck with email when I applied.
2. Does anyone know if TAMU has ever in special circumstances overlooked a prerequisite?

Overlook? Highly doubtful. You may be able to write a detailed letter explaining why other courses and/or experience could take the place of a prereq. I was able to do this with Speech.

3. Has TAMU ever in special circumstances performed video conferencing interviews? I am out of the country for 10 months, and if I get an interview it could be challenging to afford the plane ticket home.

Given the style of the interview, I'd be surprised if they did video interviews. I know they've rescheduled interviews for highly special circumstances, but those interviews took place in person and only like a week after the initial ones. You'd have to get in contact with Admissions to know for sure.

At this point, I think you'd have better luck calling. I rarely had luck with email when I applied.

Overlook? Highly doubtful. You may be able to write a detailed letter explaining why other courses and/or experience could take the place of a prereq. I was able to do this with Speech.

Given the style of the interview, I'd be surprised if they did video interviews. I know they've rescheduled interviews for highly special circumstances, but those interviews took place in person and only like a week after the initial ones. You'd have to get in contact with Admissions to know for sure.

Unfortunately, calling is not the easiest or cheapest option from where I am, and with a 9 hour time difference I would have to be certain that I could get a hold of her on the first try. (I don't know if it would be possible to leave my number because calling internationally could get confusing; my family has to buy special African Calling Cards in order to do so). Do you know when she is usually available, and if she actually responds to her phone calls?
As for the detailed letter explanation, that is what the email to her explains.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, calling is not the easiest or cheapest option from where I am, and with a 9 hour time difference I would have to be certain that I could get a hold of her on the first try. (I don't know if it would be possible to leave my number because calling internationally could get confusing; my family has to buy special African Calling Cards in order to do so). Do you know when she is usually available, and if she actually responds to her phone calls?

I was out of the country when I applied. I had to fly back (on my own dime which wasn't cheap) and if I had a question, I would call Yolanda and she would call me back. Just realize that it may be like midnight where you are when you get the phone call. I also would call and state that I was calling from Germany and they would put me through to her. It is a challenge, but it was worth it in the end.. I got in!

We also just had Thanksgiving break, so with the offices being closed administrative stuff can get backlogged. I would send a repeat email kindly asking if she had received your earlier message (make sure that it's included at the bottom of the email just in case), and then ask when you might be able to speak/resolve your concerns. If all else fails, call the main number for the dean's office, mention you're from out of the country, and they'll definitely have someone speak to you right then.

Any idea if there's somewhere online we can confirm that all of our courses were accepted? I know they sent out letters but I've updated my info with them since then and want some sort of written confirmation...

Any idea if there's somewhere online we can confirm that all of our courses were accepted? I know they sent out letters but I've updated my info with them since then and want some sort of written confirmation...

I don't remember the portal having that information back when I applied. That's something you'll probably have to call for.

Anybody hear anything about getting an interview yet? We have one week till the deadline!

Anybody hear anything about getting an interview yet? We have one week till the deadline!
They rarely send out invitations before the date they scheduled. If they do, it is only one or maybe two days ahead. They will have the interview portal link on the website early next week and should have that updated and emails sent by Thursday or Friday.

Reactions: 2 users
They rarely send out invitations before the date they scheduled. If they do, it is only one or maybe two days ahead. They will have the interview portal link on the website early next week and should have that updated and emails sent by Thursday or Friday.

Good to know. I will be keeping an eye on it.

I'm starting to get really nervous :scared:

For current students, how hard is it to find pet-friendly housing? I have 2 cats and am thinking of adopting a dog (<25lbs) and wondering if finding a place that accepts 3 pets could potentially be a struggle. Thanks!

For current students, how hard is it to find pet-friendly housing? I have 2 cats and am thinking of adopting a dog (<25lbs) and wondering if finding a place that accepts 3 pets could potentially be a struggle. Thanks!
Not a vet student yet, but I do live in College Station. Because B/CS is a pretty big college town, there are several pet-friendly housing options. Some have weight or breed (ugh) restrictions, restrictions on numbers of pets (usually 2 per person) and all require a pet deposit. The pet deposit can get pretty ridiculous, though. I am living in Bryan now which is way cheaper. If you do a google search you will find a bunch of apartment websites. They usually have whether or not they allow pets, but you will need to go in and talk to them to find out how much the pet deposit is. Also, a lot of vet students will rent (or buy or have their parents buy) a house and share rent/utilities/etc. This is usually a better option than renting apartments with pets. If you need recommendations or rent-help websites let me know!