Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReyatazCPhT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they take your most recent PCAT or your best PCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

I checked their website, but it doesn't specify which PCAT score they'll use. You should check with the school, they are very prompt and helpful.
I'm a little surprised that interview invites aren't even send out until March. I'm already nervous/anxious.
Have you applied already?

A&M waits to make any decisions until after they have received all of their applications. They then rank everyone by GPA and PCAT in some ranking system they have. The top 250 get called in for interviews. More points are awarded for interviews and the essay that has to be written. Everyone is reranked and the top hundred or so are issued acceptance letters. As people decline admission, their spot is offered to the next highest ranked.

As far as PCATs go, when I applied, I had two, and they used the latest, which was also the better of the two. I too recommend calling the office. Everyone there is extremely nice and helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what is the lowest GPA one can have in order to get an interview?

In case you haven't found it yet, the office number is (361) 593-4271. You can chuck all sorts of questions at them, so if you have anything lingering on your mind, I would go ahead and just give them a call.

Concerning the timeline of events, last year I received an interview invite on February 19 for an interview on March 7. I do remember that the interview invites came out on different days depending on which interview date you had, so there were several people who had interview invites in mid March for interviews that occurred in April. The first round of acceptance letters occurred in the first week of April, and they started to go through the wait list 3 weeks later. I got off the wait list around April 24. As for the wait list itself, it basically consists of anyone who got an interview but hasn't been extended an acceptance letter. I know there were at least a few people who also got acceptance offers in mid-July.

As for your original question, I was always under the impression that they went with your newest score, but I am not completely sure of that. So, you might want to call them if you haven't already done so.

--Garfield3d

thank you Garfield3d for clearing up some of the doubts, especially about the interview invites.

Not sure but I would think anything above 3.0 + a good PCAT score should be good enough. Most schools tend to go by these two numbers for interview invites. On their website, they actually have the stats for the past accepted students.

From the site:
Fall 2008
For the fall 2008 class the College received 583 applications for 87 seats.
Consequently, the application process is very competitive. Grade point average is important. The entering class averaged a 3.39 GPA on the required pre-pharmacy classes and a 3.38 GPA on prerequisite math/science/English/communication classes.
The average Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT) composite score for the entering class is 77%.

Hi Garfield3d,
Since you're already there, do you know what is the current cost of tuition for non-resident/out of state students? I still consider the cost of tuition between UHouston and TexasAM to make the choice of school. I'm new to this thread, so thank for help.

Hi Garfield3d,
Since you're already there, do you know what is the current cost of tuition for non-resident/out of state students? I still consider the cost of tuition between UHouston and TexasAM to make the choice of school. I'm new to this thread, so thank for help.

Hi there.

My tuition and fees for the year was $12,364.20 ($6,182.10 each semester) as an in-state student. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of how much the out-of-state tuition is. Actual tuition costs are notoriously difficult to track down, but http://www.tamhsc.edu/education/finaid/forms1/cost-of-attendance/coa-cop.pdf might be your best shot, which is an estimation of the "Cost of Attendance," not to be mistaken for the "tuition and fees" that you have to fork over to the school directly before classes start.

I can't figure out whether $18,738 the total cost of attendance or if it really is the base tuition cost. You might have to call the school to figure this one out. To say the least, finding tuition numbers on the website is notoriously difficult. If it's the cost of attendance, then the direct fees that you pay to the college would be a little under $11k per semester. If it truly is just the base tuition cost, then your direct payment to the school would be right around $21k per semester.

Normally, I would also hammer https://hscepay.tamhsc.edu/tuitionestimator.php but it seems like either that site is down right now, or altogether dead.

I hope this helped.

--Garfield3d

I took the time to yell at someone during lab today about how much out-of-state tuition costs. They said it was roughly $22k for tuition and fees.

--Garfield3d

I can't let Garfield answer all of the questions!

The minimum requirements are a GPA of 2.75 and a PCAT of 50, according to the website.

The minimum requirements are a GPA of 2.75 and a PCAT of 50, according to the website.
How do you guys like it there so far?

It's ok. I won't lie and say that everything is perfect, but they have been making improvements since things started. There are two classes ahead of us who suffered so that things would be better for future classes.

I think most of the complaints we have are typical of other pharmacy schools (8:00 every day, projects/presentations, portfolios, IPPEs).

Also, most of my classmates are from urban areas and hate the ruralness of this part of the state, so many of them vacate to Austin or wherever on most weekends.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's ok. I won't lie and say that everything is perfect, but they have been making improvements since things started. There are two classes ahead of us who suffered so that things would be better for future classes.

I think most of the complaints we have are typical of other pharmacy schools (8:00 every day, projects/presentations, portfolios, IPPEs).

Also, most of my classmates are from urban areas and hate the ruralness of this part of the state, so many of them vacate to Austin or wherever on most weekends.

Do all the students live in a dorm or is there off campus housing available?

Thanks Garfield3d for your follow-up on the non-resident/out-of-state tuition. I saw on the link that you sent, it was around 22k per year. Also, do you happen to know if any students from your year are actually international student as I have a friend who might be applying to TexasAM next year and kind of wondering what the chance for international student might be because the school is just openned in Fall06, don't know if they have any restriction on accepting international students. Thanks again

Thanks Garfield3d for your follow-up on the non-resident/out-of-state tuition. I saw on the link that you sent, it was around 22k per year. Also, do you happen to know if any students from your year are actually international student as I have a friend who might be applying to TexasAM next year and kind of wondering what the chance for international student might be because the school is just openned in Fall06, don't know if they have any restriction on accepting international students. Thanks again

We have at least one international student. I talked to her today and she said that she felt the odds were good because she didn't think a whole lot of international students applied to the school.

Has anyone heard back from A&M yet? I saw on their website they're holding the first interviews on March 5/6. About how long in advance will they start sending out interview invites?

Also, will we be considered if our application is not complete? (for example a rec letter?)

Thank you!

Last edited:
They'll probably give a two week notice. At least I think that is what they did last year. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

I have no idea about application completion. You might contact them about that.

They'll probably give a two week notice. At least I think that is what they did last year. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

I have no idea about application completion. You might contact them about that.

Thank you CaptainPicard! You're very helpful :thumbup:

Hah, hey there Picard (not sure if I'm supposed to use your real-life name online....) I don't know how you managed to fit in time for these responses. I was sleeping off the exam on Thursday.

Do all the students live in a dorm or is there off campus housing available?

Most, if not all of the pharmacy students live off campus. In the past, I have heard that the on-campus options aren't really that great. It seems that a lot of us live at Javelina Station, which is so close to the pharmacy building that you might as well call it "on campus." It's a new property that's very convenient. To my knowledge, it is also the only furnished apartment in Kingsville. My knocks against it are 1.) The internet is awful, don't expect to play any online games, 2.) It can be loud from time to time because parties do happen around here, and 3.) Management can be a bit inattentive to the point where you should always follow up a day later with any requests you make.

If you have a car and you don't mind buying some furniture, you've got several more options. King's Crossing is about 2.5 miles away from campus and is also a relatively new apartment. Apple Creek is also commonly mentioned. It is a little under 4 miles away from the pharmacy building. It's cheaper than Javelina Station and Apple Creek also has the boon of conveniently being located next to Wal-Mart.

There are also several small apartments near campus too (including some right next to Javelina Station). One of them is called Apartment Squares, and the place looks a bit poorly kept. Kinda spooky. However, there are several people in class who live in Apartment Squares and they seem perfectly healthy, so I suppose it can't be that bad.

To my knowledge, though, only Javelina Station is furnished. Feel free to correct me, though (so I can move out....)

I've liked it here so far.

Concerning the city iself, it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. As a product of American suburbia, I certainly prefer to live in the city. But, Kingsville has most of the stores that you need to be a student. There is an HEB and a Wal-Mart for groceries. There are several fast-food places like McDonalds, Arby's, Subway, or whatnot. There are even a couple of dine-in spots like Chili's and IHOP. Kingsville is certainly out-of-the-way, but it's a pretty functional town. This is the perspective of someone who still prefers living in say... Dallas or San Antonio as opposed to Pleasanton, TX. Yeah, it's not the same thing, but it's not intolerable either.

The school itself has been pretty good to me. The building itself is new and pretty-well designed. They make pretty good use of technology. I have been satisfied with classes so far, but I only have one semester under my belt, so that perspective is subject to change as the courseload gets uglier. That is not to say that I'm not without complaint. Some professors are better than others, but that should be expected.

Oh, and the water here really doesn't pass the taste test.... I'm not quite sure what it is, but it literally tastes a bit like saline. Running it through a Brita pitcher and boiling don't help get rid of whatever minerals are in there. You need to either use a PUR faucet purifier or invest heavily in bottled water. Oiy.

We have at least one international student. I talked to her today and she said that she felt the odds were good because she didn't think a whole lot of international students applied to the school.

As long as you are proficient with English, I don't think that being an international student is going to play a considerable factor. I always felt that international students were on the same footing as everyone else so as long as they did well on the TOEFL. Now, if you're worried about in-state Texas candidates vs. everyone else, then that's a different argument. Publicly funded universities usually have a slant towards in-state admissions, though that might be magnified by the fact that in-state students have more exposure and knowledge of in-state colleges. Personally, though, I wouldn't worry too much about being an international student. I don't think it hurts your chances.

About how long in advance will they start sending out interview invites?

Also, will we be considered if our application is not complete? (for example a rec letter?)

Thank you!

The two-week interval that Picard mentioned sounds right. In my case, I received an e-mail on February 19th for an interview on March 7.

If they haven't changed from last year, they should consider your application even before they've received all of your recommendation letters. Looking back on my old e-mails, after I received an interview invite on Feb. 19, I received an e-mail on Feb. 20th titled "Updated Texas A&M HSC COP" with a PDF that stated that they were missing one of my recommendation letters. When I followed up on the issue, they mentioned that as long as I got the latent recommendation letter to them by my interview, I would be good. So, I would not worry about any missing materials unless you got an e-mail with a PDF file with a blue check-mark next to a "missing material."

If you're feeling particularly panicky, though, you could always give them a call at (361) 593-4271 . I have had to call them a few times on a variety of issues. They know me decently well by now. I'd like to think that's a good thing...

--Garfield3d

Garfield3d, you're amazing.:)Thank you for all the good info.

So I got an email from them this week with an attachment and a little blue checkmark saying I don't have the pre-reqs completed. I check the 2nd page and it says half the pre-reqs aren't completed, even though the only one I haven't completed is speech. Turns out they have a 5 year rule for pre-reqs and half my pre-reqs (Gen Bio and Gen Chem and a few other minor courses) were taken during the 2002-2003 school year... but I've been going to school full time the past two years and will be graduating with a bachelor's degree in biology this spring and I've taken a lot of advanced chem and bio classes

So I'm thinking about asking them if they would consider making an exception to the 5-year rule for me... do you guys know if they ever do this, or are they very firm on this? Thanks!

So I got an email from them this week with an attachment and a little blue checkmark saying I don't have the pre-reqs completed. I check the 2nd page and it says half the pre-reqs aren't completed, even though the only one I haven't completed is speech. Turns out they have a 5 year rule for pre-reqs and half my pre-reqs (Gen Bio and Gen Chem and a few other minor courses) were taken during the 2002-2003 school year... but I've been going to school full time the past two years and will be graduating with a bachelor's degree in biology this spring and I've taken a lot of advanced chem and bio classes

So I'm thinking about asking them if they would consider making an exception to the 5-year rule for me... do you guys know if they ever do this, or are they very firm on this? Thanks!

Well, the five-year stipulation is stated on their FAQ: http://pharmacy.tamhsc.edu/prospective/faq.html#10 . Several pharmacy schools have a similar rule (though it is sometimes euphemistically referred to as "grade forgiveness.") I wouldn't have any idea as to how firm they are on this rule. Texas Tech has a similar rule (except it's 7 years) where you need to contact the school specifically for review.

At this juncture, you might as well give it a shot and try to explain your situation and how you have spent the past time as a full-time student. If you received A's in those classes, you might want to mention that. If they categorically deny your request, your only recourse at that point may be to just offer a suggestion to take the old classes during summer school.

--Garfield3d

I'm certain that they are adamant about the 5 year rule, with one exception.

I had some classes from way back in the Mesozoic era that were accepted once my transcripts stated that I had received a degree. I couldn't find a mention of this on the website, but that is what they told me, and all the blue checkmarks on old courses went away once I graduated.

One of my classmates with ancient classes didn't want to finish his degree, so he had to retake them.

I recommend contacting Ms. Gonzalez to verify this. As long as they are still allowing it, if something went wrong with the spring graduation, a summer graduation would work.

Thanks, you guys are awesome! I still have hope then! I definately plan on graduating here at UT in the spring, so I'll email Ms. Gonzalez to see if they still make this exception. I have way too many old classes to retake in the summer (year of Gen Bio, year of Gen Chem, Micro, both Politcal Science courses, 1 Eng Comp) so this will be the only chance for A&M for me.

The 5 year rule is a little funny. As one who was in the same boat, I talked repeatedly to Ms. Gonzalez about it and as long as you submit a transcript showing the date you graduated you should be fine. As long as she knows about it you should be fine. I still interviewed, and was accepted even with the check marks. Once my degree was posted and the transcript came through it was done. Hope this helps.

The 5 year rule is a little funny. As one who was in the same boat, I talked repeatedly to Ms. Gonzalez about it and as long as you submit a transcript showing the date you graduated you should be fine. As long as she knows about it you should be fine. I still interviewed, and was accepted even with the check marks. Once my degree was posted and the transcript came through it was done. Hope this helps.
Hm...thanks for clarifying this. I got the same blue check marks on some of the courses that i am supposedly missing. But i think it has more to do with them not receiving one of my transcripts. I'm going to call them today because the college actually sent the transcript before the actual deadline and it was not with the rest of my packet so i'm afraid it has gotten lost. Anyway, i already have a degree from UT and I remember taking a classical course for my fine arts requirement. But it looks like A&M doesn't accept that because i have a blue check mark next to ART, MUS, or TD requirement. How strict are they in having the 4-6hr requirement on this?

I have a Bio degree with 3 hours of music and they won't let it slide. They told me I have to take at least 4 hours... doh!

I have a Bio degree with 3 hours of music and they won't let it slide. They told me I have to take at least 4 hours... doh!
hm...i talked to someone named Theresa(?) and i think i might have to take those classess too if i get accepted. there isn't any point in taking it right now unless i get in though. anyway, looks like i'm going to have to get the college to send that transcript again :(

I'm in the same boat. I received the checklist that says that I have to complete an hour of art.

Unless you get lucky and have something that will substitute, you are going to have to take another course this summer. An online course would be great, because then you could just move and not worry about missing class during the pre-orientation.

If I ever get an opportunity, I'm going to point out the four hour requirement being kind of inconvenient (I believe other schools only want three). If you can't take any one hour art courses, then you are stuck taking six hours for a four hour requirement.

I agree that 4 - 6 hours worth of Art, Music or Theater is a bit much. However, talk to Ms Gonzalez to see if the Speech Communication requirement would also count toward the Theater credit or something. Some schools have public speaking listed under theater arts or something. Just a suggestion. Also see if a humanities course would fill this requirement. Just my two cents.

I agree that 4 - 6 hours worth of Art, Music or Theater is a bit much. However, talk to Ms Gonzalez to see if the Speech Communication requirement would also count toward the Theater credit or something. Some schools have public speaking listed under theater arts or something. Just a suggestion. Also see if a humanities course would fill this requirement. Just my two cents.

Art History is usually the most common choice for this. I know that I took a second semester of Art History at a community college over the summer to fulfill the 4-6 hours of art/music/theater credit. Quick, easy, and (relatively) inexpensive.

Theater, music, and those type of appreciation classes count. However, communications in most cases will NOT count. Remember, you need 3 hours in a communications course too, and there is a clear difference between communications (public speaking, professional communications, interpersonal relationships, interpersonal communication, family communications, etc...) and the more artsy theateresque classes. Btw, they usually want public speaking / professional communications.

Humanities and those type of courses are going to be a gray area. A lot of Western Civilization classes fall under History. Fringe classes might be able to fit in under art, but more often than not, humanities courses are NOT art. Instead, most of those classes will fall under anthropology (which is another category), and many of the remainders will fall under history. This is something that will happen a lot in other schools, though it sure is true that most other schools only want 3 hours of art-type credit.

As per the FAQ, though, the http://statecore.its.txstate.edu/ is your best shot. It should tell you where things fit in under most instances, so I would start there before calling in, because you know they will do it themselves if you try to bring it up.

--Garfield3d

hey, could anyone explain how they are going to look at the GPA. What kind of GPA are they are going to consider, overall? prerequisite? There is no stats on their website about the overall gpa of the entering class. Thanks~

hey, could anyone explain how they are going to look at the GPA. What kind of GPA are they are going to consider, overall? prerequisite? There is no stats on their website about the overall gpa of the entering class. Thanks~

Actually, information on the average overall GPA, prerequisite GPA, and various other statistics of previous classes can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions page on the website (Prospective Students ---> Frequently Asked Questions). You can find it directly at http://pharmacy.tamhsc.edu/prospective/faq.html#15 .

Although the minimum GPA to be considered for admission is 2.75, the average is a bit higher. The averages in previous classes were:

2006 - Pre-pharmacy: 3.37; Prerequisite Other: 3.42
2007 - Pre-pharmacy: 3.26; Prerequisite Other: 3.28
2008 - Pre-pharmacy: 3.39; Prerequisite Other: 3.38

--Garfield3d

I want to add a comment. If your stats are above the minimum, I wouldn't freak out. I don't know the lowest GPA in our class, but I know of one person with an overall 2.90. So the range is (<=)2.90 through 4.00. They will take your GPA and give it a weight for your overall score. There are several items taken into consideration, so students are given some breathing room.

I want to add a comment. If your stats are above the minimum, I wouldn't freak out. I don't know the lowest GPA in our class, but I know of one person with an overall 2.90. So the range is (<=)2.90 through 4.00. They will take your GPA and give it a weight for your overall score. There are several items taken into consideration, so students are given some breathing room.

If I'm not mistaken, A&M will rank the applicants by GPA then PCAT scores to see who to invite for interviews. Will the prereq GPA be used for the ranking? or cumulative...? Thanks!

thanks for the answers~
so pre-pharmacy gpa isn't the overall gpa? Does pre-pharmacy gpa means proposed +group A courses? and math/english/science/communication means proposed courses only?
sorry for asking bunch of questions, just it seems a bit confusing.
again, thanks you all~

Has anyone heard back from A&M yet? I'm getting so anxious.

Has anyone heard back from A&M yet? I'm getting so anxious.
all i keep getting is the little blue check marks saying that i need to take an art class or something of the sort. :)

I haven't heard/gotten anything from them since 2/1...:(
you might want to call or e-mail the school to see if they have received your application. you should have at least gotten an e-mail detailing that you have met all the requirements for a complete application. here's the phone number from my e-mail (361) 593-4271

Hopefully we should hear something (interview invites) in the next two to three weeks.

I was hoping sometimes this week since their first round of interviews are March 5/6.

I was hoping sometimes this week since their first round of interviews are March 5/6.

I was hoping sometime this week too. And wats d deal with A and M anywayz dey should be sending out invites by now!!! :mad:

I was hoping sometime this week too. And wats d deal with A and M anywayz dey should be sending out invites by now!!! :mad:

I got an invitation last year on February 19th or so.

Be patient, some schools only give you a one week notice. I'm willing to bet that they will give you guys at least a couple weeks.

P.S. Start practicing writing correctly because you'll have to write an on-site essay if you get an interview.

I got an invitation last year on February 19th or so.

Be patient, some schools only give you a one week notice. I'm willing to bet that they will give you guys at least a couple weeks.

P.S. Start practicing writing correctly because you'll have to write an on-site essay if you get an interview.

O trust me, I do know the difference between casual writing and academic writing.

O trust me, I do know the difference between casual writing and academic writing.

Most people do, but you'd be surprised what slips through when you are writing a hurried essay under stress. I read a story a couple weeks ago about students doing it and being surprised that they did. It's unconscious, especially if "casual" writing is feels natural.