Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Man, so no one is applying to good ol' TAMHSC, eh?

My application is complete and so are my required courses! Just waiting for an interview invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent out my application last week but I got an email saying I was missing certain classes. They must have over looked it on my transcript. Looks like I need to call on Monday to get it cleared up. This process is so nerve wrecking. I can't tell you how fast my heart was beating when I saw the email in my inbox.

Is anyone else from Corpus??

Do any current students make the daily drive from Corpus to Kingsville?

Lisa V. :p

I sent out my application last week but I got an email saying I was missing certain classes. They must have over looked it on my transcript. Looks like I need to call on Monday to get it cleared up. This process is so nerve wrecking. I can't tell you how fast my heart was beating when I saw the email in my inbox.

Is anyone else from Corpus??

Do any current students make the daily drive from Corpus to Kingsville?

Lisa V. :p

They told me the same thing! Supposedly I still need to take microbiology and genetics. They're both on my transcript though. I sent an email, but maybe it would be better if I called.

^ Just call and make sure; the same thing happened to me and a few other people I know. They seem to be having a lot of weird mix-ups this year.

My application is complete and so are my required courses! Just waiting for an interview invite.

When do they usually sends out "application complete" emails? I sent my stuff in 2 days before the deadline. No response yet.

When do they usually sends out "application complete" emails? I sent my stuff in 2 days before the deadline. No response yet.

They don't officially send out e-mails that say your applications are complete. They send update e-mails every few weeks and tell you what you're missing. The last e-mail said I was missing a few hours for one requirement. I e-mailed them back and told them my humanities course I took at my college counts towards their humanities. They asked for the course information and when I took the class. I haven't heard back from them since. You do not have to have all the classes completed for an interview. As long as you sent in your application and application fee before the deadline you should be fine.

I would call for sure. The first email I got said I was missing lots of classes so I sent an updated transcript because the original one I sent didnt include the classes that were in progress. Then I got another email saying I was missing inorganic chem. 2 and the lab which I took in 2010.

The lady was really nice and helpful. I would call just to be sure it gets taken care of.

I was under the impression that the top 100 applicants get an interview and from there they are narrowed down. Then I heard that everyone gets an interview. Does anyone know how this works?

I feel my chances are better the first way, only because I get really nervous in interviews. I'm nervous just thinking about it! Ahh! :eek:

Lisa V..

Yeah I do the daily drive. It's not fun! I thought it wouldn't be too bad at first, but it starts to hit you when you realise you've lost 1.5 hours of useful time every single day.

I recommend audio books. :D

If accepted, I'm not looking forward to the drive. I guess it could be worse though. During the first year, what time does class start?

Lisa V.

If accepted, I'm not looking forward to the drive. I guess it could be worse though. During the first year, what time does class start?

Lisa V.

"Technically" your classes don't start until 9 am. Expect an exam or two a week at 8 am and NUMEROUS other 8 am obligations. The 8 am period is referred to as "recitation," and ideally it should only be used for extra instruction in a given class. In practice, pre- and post-exam reviews are held at this time, along with any make up lectures if the professor had to miss a regular lecture due to schedule conflicts.

P2 year is a little better and a little worse. You have IPPE Site Visits on Friday, so a 5 day academic week is crammed into 4 days. Thankfully, there are very few 8 am starts. A current P3 gave me the best advice: During P2 year, don't expect to go home until at least 5 pm, that way if you do, it's like a bonus. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would call for sure. The first email I got said I was missing lots of classes so I sent an updated transcript because the original one I sent didnt include the classes that were in progress. Then I got another email saying I was missing inorganic chem. 2 and the lab which I took in 2010.

The lady was really nice and helpful. I would call just to be sure it gets taken care of.

Yeah, I've called at least 3 times already just to check up. They are really nice and return your phone calls promptly.

I was under the impression that the top 100 applicants get an interview and from there they are narrowed down. Then I heard that everyone gets an interview. Does anyone know how this works?

I feel my chances are better the first way, only because I get really nervous in interviews. I'm nervous just thinking about it! Ahh! :eek:

Lisa V..

I heard they rank all the applicants and say the top 30 get the first interview and then they go down the list from there. Again, this is what I've heard.

I heard they rank all the applicants and say the top 30 get the first interview and then they go down the list from there. Again, this is what I've heard.

Seems like I have replied to this before in another thread. (Search is your friend) For those wondering here is what I remember about the interview process. You are first ranked based on GPA, PCAT, and letters of recommendation. The top 250 applicants receive and interview. There are 5 interview days with 5 interview times with 10 applicants (do the math 5 x 5 x 10 = 250). The interview is scored and thrown in with the other scores. The top 88 or so who have interviewed are offered admission. Those that decline admission open seats for those further down the list. The process continues until the class of 2016 is filled. In some instances it can take all the way until August. If I remember right no one is officially rejected i.e., official letter is sent out. Basically everyone who interviews has a chance for admission. But don't ask me what the ranking/point system is I really can't recall. I think it was something like 10 pts GPA, 10 pts PCAT, 30 points letters of recommendation, 25 pts interview with bonus points for 1. Being from South Texas, 2. advanced degrees (MS or PhD), 3. being a registered technician, etc.
Since they are interviewing in February, I would expect acceptances to be sent about 2 - 3 weeks after the final interview date (Mid-late March). There are no rolling admissions. Once the first group has been accepted, expect other acceptances about every 2 -3 weeks. If you were not one of the first admitted don't worry. I remember our acceptances went out in April and I was not accepted until about mid-May. Dr. Robertson called me personally and it has been a great decision to come down to Kingsville. I know the town is not much to look at, but just remember to do your best and learn while you are here. It is possible to make it through. I was not the best student as an undergrad, but made up for it here and am now interviewing with 5 programs for PGY1 residencies. I hope that clears up a few concerns/questions. Good luck to all those applying.

Seems like I have replied to this before in another thread. (Search is your friend) For those wondering here is what I remember about the interview process. You are first ranked based on GPA, PCAT, and letters of recommendation. The top 250 applicants receive and interview. There are 5 interview days with 5 interview times with 10 applicants (do the math 5 x 5 x 10 = 250). The interview is scored and thrown in with the other scores. The top 88 or so who have interviewed are offered admission. Those that decline admission open seats for those further down the list. The process continues until the class of 2016 is filled. In some instances it can take all the way until August. If I remember right no one is officially rejected i.e., official letter is sent out. Basically everyone who interviews has a chance for admission. But don't ask me what the ranking/point system is I really can't recall. I think it was something like 10 pts GPA, 10 pts PCAT, 30 points letters of recommendation, 25 pts interview with bonus points for 1. Being from South Texas, 2. advanced degrees (MS or PhD), 3. being a registered technician, etc.
Since they are interviewing in February, I would expect acceptances to be sent about 2 - 3 weeks after the final interview date (Mid-late March). There are no rolling admissions. Once the first group has been accepted, expect other acceptances about every 2 -3 weeks. If you were not one of the first admitted don't worry. I remember our acceptances went out in April and I was not accepted until about mid-May. Dr. Robertson called me personally and it has been a great decision to come down to Kingsville. I know the town is not much to look at, but just remember to do your best and learn while you are here. It is possible to make it through. I was not the best student as an undergrad, but made up for it here and am now interviewing with 5 programs for PGY1 residencies. I hope that clears up a few concerns/questions. Good luck to all those applying.

Do you know when they usually send out interview invites?

Do you know when they usually send out interview invites?

The interview dates are listed as February 9, 10, 16, 17, and 23. I would anticipate interview invites this week sometime. If I remember right they were sent about 2 weeks before the interview date. That's just what I am remembering from past years, don't quote me on it.

The interview dates are listed as February 9, 10, 16, 17, and 23. I would anticipate interview invites this week sometime. If I remember right they were sent about 2 weeks before the interview date. That's just what I am remembering from past years, don't quote me on it.

Talk about a fast turnaround time.

"Technically" your classes don't start until 9 am. Expect an exam or two a week at 8 am and NUMEROUS other 8 am obligations. The 8 am period is referred to as "recitation," and ideally it should only be used for extra instruction in a given class. In practice, pre- and post-exam reviews are held at this time, along with any make up lectures if the professor had to miss a regular lecture due to schedule conflicts.

P2 year is a little better and a little worse. You have IPPE Site Visits on Friday, so a 5 day academic week is crammed into 4 days. Thankfully, there are very few 8 am starts. A current P3 gave me the best advice: During P2 year, don't expect to go home until at least 5 pm, that way if you do, it's like a bonus. ;)

Thanks for the info. You've been very helpful!:)

Try to be as patient as you can with pharmacy school applications. If you know everything is submitted, hold on tight, as they receive high volumes of calls.

On the bright side, their staff is very caring and take your questions with care. I missed a call this morning regarding my application due to school, but they promptly followed up with an email with my updated progress.

Everything is done by a point system. Dr. Robertson gave us the whole breakdown of how their decision making process is done when my organization toured the college and when he spoke at one of our meetings. The important thing to note is to do well on your interview, which I believe is 25 points out of the total 75 points possible (my breakdown is at home).

Good luck to everyone applying!

The important thing to note is to do well on your interview, which I believe is 25 points out of the total 75 points possible (my breakdown is at home).

The breakdown is buried in my post above. But here it is.

10 pts = GPA
10 pts = PCAT
30 pts = Letters of Recommendation
25 pts = Interview
75 pts = TOTAL

4 - 5 pts = **Bonus (South Texas Resident, Advanced degree, Pharmacy Technician Certification, etc. I know these do exist as I sat on the interview panel last year. Yes 3rd and possibly 4th year students interview applicants.)**

So if an applicant has a 3.3 GPA, 87 PCAT, and 3 great letters (really who is going to write you a bad letter at this point), the points would be:
GPA 3.3/4.0 = 8.25/10
PCAT 87/99 = 8.78/10
Letters (3 at 10 pts each) = 28/30 (ok one recommender didn't really like the person)
Pre-interview score = 45.03/50 (pretty good chance this person is getting interviewed)
If the interview goes well 22/25 (believe me this is a high interview score some people were bad...:eek:) or so you're looking at 65.03/75. But do NOT get too focused on the numbers it is just a rating scale things could change. If you are invited for an interview:
1. Prepare!
2. Be familiar with the program (one of my favorite questions was "What do you think of our curriculum?")
3. Practice!
4. Relax (please don't cry during the interview :scared:)

Thank you so much for the thorough breakdown! You are awesome!

I haven't really been as active in this thread as I have in previous years, but I wanted to say good luck to everyone applying this year! I am also happy to answer any questions you have. I look forward to seeing some of you when you come and interview and next year!

I applied and the anticipation is driving me insane! I check my email about every half hour! :xf:

I applied and the anticipation is driving me insane! I check my email about every half hour! :xf:

ME TOO!!!!! I'm anxious and nervous. Does anyone know when we would be more than likely hear back from them about interviews? :)

ME TOO!!!!! I'm anxious and nervous. Does anyone know when we would be more than likely hear back from them about interviews? :)

I would honestly think it would be this week or next for the 1st set of interview days, which are February 9 & 10. Although, don't freak out if you don't get one for the 1st set of interviews, there are interview days on February 16, 17 & 23rd as well. They typically send out invites a week or 2 in advance. Usually they will also add another day or 2 of interviews after that February 23rd date too.

Me three! I just checked my email and nothing. Then I decided to check here to see if anyone has gotten an interview. I talked to someone Monday and he said they were just about to start ranking everyone.

Is anyone else who is applying from the Corpus area?

Just hold on tight and hope for the best! You've done what you can up to this point, so there is nothing else to be worried about. The time utilized checking emails or wondering about an interview invite can be used more productively by finding out more about the school and preparing for the interview.

I am patiently waiting as well. Good luck to everyone! Remain positive!

I just received an interview invite for February 10th! Interview invites are sent out! Is anyone on the same boat?

I just received an interview invite for February 10th! Interview invites are sent out! Is anyone on the same boat?

congratz!

I am still waiting for mine. :( what time did you receive your invite? what city are you from? would you mind sharing your stats?

I also received an interview for Feb 10th! But I have a UT interview that day too...so I'll have to reschedule :(

congratz!

I am still waiting for mine. :( what time did you receive your invite? what city are you from? would you mind sharing your stats?

I received it at 4 p.m.. I'm from Plano. GPA: 3.93, PCAT: 74....and no bachelor degree. Did you check your junk mail? I believe they have many interview dates...I'm sure you'll get yours soon. :)

Ok, not sure if anybody can answer this for me. Now that interviews have been sent out, is that it? Do they send them ALL out at the same time or do I still have a chance? :confused:

Received an invite earlier today! Set for February 10! I have in interview with UT the next day also so it's going to be kind of hectic :scared:

Ok, not sure if anybody can answer this for me. Now that interviews have been sent out, is that it? Do they send them ALL out at the same time or do I still have a chance? :confused:

There are many sets of interview, you still have a chance. :)

Got my invite today too, also for Feb 10th! So excited and nervous! :oops:

Good luck to everyone!

I just received my invite February 9th, 4PM. Good luck to all of you!!

Good luck to all of you! I look forward to meeting some of you guys on your interview days. Those that didn't get an invite yet, hang in there, there are more where those came from! :)

I think I'll be one of the students doing the Q&A session after one of the interviews this year. Always fun to see which applicants are SDNers. ;)

I think I will be too! It was fun last year! :thumbup:

I think I'll be one of the students doing the Q&A session after one of the interviews this year. Always fun to see which applicants are SDNers. ;)

I Q&A'ed PharmB!

Don't worry, the Q&A session doesn't factor into your interview performance unless you start a fire. Good luck to everyone interviewing this year! Take it seriously, but not too seriously.

--Garfield3d

I Q&A'ed PharmB!

It's NOT as bad as it sounds! :smuggrin:

Don't worry, the Q&A session doesn't factor into your interview performance unless you start a fire. Good luck to everyone interviewing this year! Take it seriously, but not too seriously.

I think he told me to be "cautiously optimistic."

Last edited:
Looks like the interviewing process has begun. Good luck, everyone!

I will also be helping out with the interviews. So there will be three of us SDNers from the P2 class at the very least that you may encounter.

I know this is early, but I'll post it here so I don't have to dig it up later. This is around where people started getting accepted and started thinking about apartments and other things regarding living in Kingsville. I know people will ignore me when I say to try reading this first, but it doesn't hurt.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=767548&page=10

P.S. It is EXTREMELY easy to figure out who LSUCPhT is, lol. I have, however, been mistaken for PharmB, but if you knew both of us, you'd wonder how that ever happened.

P.S. It is EXTREMELY easy to figure out who LSUCPhT is, lol. I have, however, been mistaken for PharmB, but if you knew both of us, you'd wonder how that ever happened.

Well we do look a lot alike. :smuggrin:

Oh! Since you guys are interviewing now, check out the "Interview Feedback" link in my signature. People from previous years have posted frequently asked questions, toughest question, least expected question, etc. This database is one huge advantage SDN members have over non-members. :thumbup:

Yep. We even have matching parking permits!

Though... I do have to wonder why someone thought I was LSUCPhT in my first interview session though... :/

One thing I don't recall people asking in previous times is where they can stay during interviews. If you don't have any clue after searching Google Maps or anything, there are actually quite a few. One would be the Best Western on King. That's where I stayed and it's pretty much straight down the road until you reach University or Armstrong and you turn right to get to campus.

just got mine, its scheduled for the 16th

got mine this morning; interview's on the 17th at 1pm. Anyone else going that day/from UT?

what's y'all stats?? Still patiently waiting for mine. :(