Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everyone interviewing this week. Looks like it could be the last week for planned interviews. Did they already start ranking previous people that have interviewed, or is that something that will be done after this week once everyone is interviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

The current stats of the currently enrolled classes (2012-2015) I believe is a PCAT average of about 72. I cannot give you information regarding applicant GPA or averages yet.

would you be able to provide us the PCAT averages by segment? for example... On Verbal Abilities, a 95% would be really good and bump up the overall PCAT score even if a person scored say a 36% on a science section... right?

Good luck to everyone interviewing this week. Looks like it could be the last week for planned interviews. Did they already start ranking previous people that have interviewed, or is that something that will be done after this week once everyone is interviewed?

They dont start ranking people until everyone has had their interview. They should be starting in the next few days and sending out the first round of acceptances in a week or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
First round of acceptances should come in the latter portion of the first week in March.

Not sure if I met any of you guys today at my 1:00 PM interview. I was surprised when I walked in and saw (4) individuals to interview me.

Good luck to everyone, and remember to get your meningitis vaccination if you haven't done so already.

would you be able to provide us the PCAT averages by segment? for example... On Verbal Abilities, a 95% would be really good and bump up the overall PCAT score even if a person scored say a 36% on a science section... right?

Unfortunately, I don't have that specific a pool of information for you. Trust me when I say I've done worse than a 36% on a section on one of my PCATs. You're making an anthill out of nothing.

Is that how the idiom goes? I never was one for figures of speech...

When I applied, the interviews and acceptances were one month later than they are now, so I got mine on the 1st of April. I couldn't tell if it was a joke! XD

But yes, they're fairly fast when it comes to these, but even then, be patient!

anyone know how long you have to respond once accepted?

you have about a month to consider your acceptance. If you dont respond by then they just assume it's a no and they offer your seat to someone else.

Wow, they really gave you a month to decide?!? I only was given a little less than two weeks to decide. They informed me I was accepted March 31 and had until April 12 to confirm my acceptance.

I remember sending a response less than a week after getting my letter, but I also remember not having a lot of time either. I'm trying to find the hard copy or the email, but I can't seem to find it. I remember one week, but for the sake of reducing panic, I'll concur with Velvet75 unless the times have changed.

I remember him saying you had about a month to respond (and one of my friends did take about that time because his mom forgot to mention to him he had a message from the school).

As for me, I responded the very next day I got the phone call from the school because it was already too late to call them by the time I got out of class.

I think it's two weeks top for the first batch of letters. After that, the response time is less.

I talked with a source today; it's one week.

Honestly though, you're putting the saddle in front of the horse; this is something to worry about IF you get accepted. I'm usually trying to be optimistic about these things, but you shouldn't stress about things that haven't come yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked with a source today; it's one week.

Honestly though, you're putting the saddle in front of the horse; this is something to worry about IF you get accepted. I'm usually trying to be optimistic about these things, but you shouldn't stress about things that haven't come yet.
I know I'm getting ahead of myself but decisions need to be made if and when this scenario plays out.

My only concern lies in the case of getting accepted to more than one school but you get the acceptance to your second or third choice first. Then you try and decide whether or not to take the first offer or wait for the second? I'm not sure anyone would gamble and wait to hear from their #1 if it was going to cost them a confirmed position.

Seems like this gives an unfair advantage to any school that releases their acceptances first. All the best people will of course be accepted into most programs, but if they force your hand and you have to decide without all your options available, it's going to be tough to turn down.

From your language, I'm making the assumption that we (regretfully) aren't your first choice.

My suggested course of action is to accept your spot here first. You do have to pay a $500 deposit, but it's essentially insurance to make sure you do have a spot in a pharmacy school. If you do hear from the school that you want to go to that you have been accepted, contact our school to let us know that you will not be attending school here. Your deposit won't be given back, but it's better safe than sorry.
Should you actually stay here though, your deposit will be put towards your tuition for the first semester. Or maybe it was refunded. It was one of the two.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but decisions need to be made if and when this scenario plays out.

My only concern lies in the case of getting accepted to more than one school but you get the acceptance to your second or third choice first. Then you try and decide whether or not to take the first offer or wait for the second? I'm not sure anyone would gamble and wait to hear from their #1 if it was going to cost them a confirmed position.

Seems like this gives an unfair advantage to any school that releases their acceptances first. All the best people will of course be accepted into most programs, but if they force your hand and you have to decide without all your options available, it's going to be tough to turn down.

From your language, I'm making the assumption that we (regretfully) aren't your first choice.

My suggested course of action is to accept your spot here first. You do have to pay a $500 deposit, but it's essentially insurance to make sure you do have a spot in a pharmacy school. If you do hear from the school that you want to go to that you have been accepted, contact our school to let us know that you will not be attending school here. Your deposit won't be given back, but it's better safe than sorry.
Should you actually stay here though, your deposit will be put towards your tuition for the first semester. Or maybe it was refunded. It was one of the two.

Thanks for the info. I guess the deposit is a lot like insurance.

And contrary to your assumption, the interview process and everyone's hospitality that entire day has actual made it a lot tougher a choice in all honesty if it actually comes down to it.

ok, so for the first round of people that get accepted a letter is sent out in the mail, and for the rest a phone call is made? Therefore, a person can deny acceptance to the school over the phone right then. But if its through the mail how would one deny acceptance? And is there a follow up call/email done by the school to confirm with the applicant they denied acceptance? I'm just wondering in case someone were to get into another school as their first choice and what the process is :confused:

ok, so for the first round of people that get accepted a letter is sent out in the mail, and for the rest a phone call is made? Therefore, a person can deny acceptance to the school over the phone right then. But if its through the mail how would one deny acceptance? And is there a follow up call/email done by the school to confirm with the applicant they denied acceptance? I'm just wondering in case someone were to get into another school as their first choice and what the process is :confused:

You are given an email prior to the actual letter. I got my email on April 1st, but my letter came a day or two later in the mail. There is a card in that packet that is basically "Check here to confirm your attendance with a $500 deposit" or "Check here to give up your seat."
Unfortunately, we as students don't know who are the ones that declined entrance, so none of us can really tell you how that is unless we ask the higher ups.

Frankly, I'm still surprised anyone WOULD.

@bungerman: Glad to hear it! Also, in regards to the "unfair advantage"... We actually had some of the later interviews in the State back when I interviewed. UH had rolling admissions and started interviewing as early as February, if memory serves (it drove me crazy because I didn't get an offer to interview until the day after I was accepted here). Austin started interviews at the same time we currently do. So in the end, we got last pick, a lot of times. To address that, we shifted the interviews up a month to stay competitive at the very least.

When do letters officially start going out? I'm on pins and needles

When do letters officially start going out? I'm on pins and needles

I was told the first week of March, which could be this week (since March begins on Thursday) but I'm thinking it will be next week since that will be the first full week of March.

I was told the first week of March, which could be this week (since March begins on Thursday) but I'm thinking it will be next week since that will be the first full week of March.

I would bet that you are correct. We actually have SACS coming in on Monday of next week (the accreditation board for the entire Health Science Center, due every 10 years). Therefore, I imagine the administration will be busy all this week preparing for that and that letters will probably go out next week. This is all an assumption. :thumbup:

I know it can be difficult to say "yes" to one school when you have yet to hear anything from your first choice. Last year, I was accepted to TX Tech but I didn't wait around to hear back from the other schools. I had only about two weeks to give TX Tech my answer so waiting around was not an option for me since I know pharmacy is the field where I definitely want to work. So I immediately told them I would accept the acceptance offer because I knew there was no guarantee that I would be admitted somewhere else. Luckily, I was offered admission to A&M one month after my acceptance to TX Tech. It was difficult to decide between the schools but I just looked at the pros & cons for each and picked the school that I felt was a better fit for me and my family. And I am happy as a clam with my choice. :)

The schools all play this game. As pointed out above, acceptance letters are going out earlier this year than when I got in (March vs April).

The applications were due way earlier this go round than when I applied, too. I believe this was due to other schools moving their dates forward.

The job of any school's admissions committee is to get seats filled, preferably with students that are a good fit for the school. It appears to be a high pressure sales tactic, but remember, you're potentially a member of the next cohort. If you don't want to be part of that, someone behind you definitely does. The sooner the school has a stable cohort, the sooner everyone involved can breathe easy.

Just out of curiosity how are all the acceptance letters sent out?
I heard that it might be March 4th was when they will be sent out, will it be all 87 sent out via e-mail? and then from there they start tallying those who accept and those who decline and resend the ones next on the list?

and will we receive an e-mail if we are wait listed and what position we are on the list?

You won't know where you sit on the waiting list.

I believe current students that made it in during the first round all received a copy of the letter via email first (check previous A&M threads to find those posts of joy ;) ) and then got the hard copy of the same letter a few days later.

I know with us, it seemed like they sent the letters out throughout the day rather than all at once. I remember being worried because I hadn't received anything when people were already posting about it on SDN. That same day, around 4 or so, I got my email. :)

You won't know where you sit on the waiting list.

I believe current students that made it in during the first round all received a copy of the letter via email first (check previous A&M threads to find those posts of joy ;) ) and then got the hard copy of the same letter a few days later.

I know with us, it seemed like they sent the letters out throughout the day rather than all at once. I remember being worried because I hadn't received anything when people were already posting about it on SDN. That same day, around 4 or so, I got my email. :)
Thanks! it is VERY nerve wrecking!
that one week just seems to feel like an eternity!

I am so nervous right now. :(

I have my essay due tomorrow and I am still on my introduction paragraph.
I keep thinking about getting rejected! This is crazy!!

GPA:3.32(Overall prereq)
PCAT:83
Work experience: Worked as pharm tech 1 1/2 years

I did okay on my interview.(I think) Do you think I have a chance?

I am so nervous right now. :(

I have my essay due tomorrow and I am still on my introduction paragraph.
I keep thinking about getting rejected! This is crazy!!

GPA:3.32(Overall prereq)
PCAT:83
Work experience: Worked as pharm tech 1 1/2 years

I did okay on my interview.(I think) Do you think I have a chance?

You have a really good chance. Provided everything else is pretty good too.

so all the 87 invites get sent out in one day...through out the day?

Just out of curiosity how are all the acceptance letters sent out?
I heard that it might be March 4th was when they will be sent out, will it be all 87 sent out via e-mail? and then from there they start tallying those who accept and those who decline and resend the ones next on the list?

and will we receive an e-mail if we are wait listed and what position we are on the list?

Soo we should be hearing something this Sunday then?!

sunday? I dont think they will be sent out on a weekend...but i might be wrong.

Soo we should be hearing something this Sunday then?!

I believe that individual said March 4 because that was the day last year when letters were sent out. Since this year that falls on a Sunday, I'm assuming that they will most likely be sent out toward the latter part of next week like it was last year.

Patience people. They said they would send it out early March. Nothing else you can do at this point other than to sit back and wait for good news to come. Even if you did know how the process went, it would not make any difference unless you are trying to weigh out which school you should go to.

Don't waste your energy on worrying!

Patience people. They said they would send it out early March. Nothing else you can do at this point other than to sit back and wait for good news to come. Even if you did know how the process went, it would not make any difference unless you are trying to weigh out which school you should go to.

Don't waste your energy on worrying!

Hi, quick question: do you know how they are going to contact us about being admitted to the program? Is it the phone call first, the email then the letter in the mail?
I remember Dr. Robertson explaining it but I was too excited and nervous so I didn't retain most of what he said!!! LOL

For real, everyone needs to just chill out and just go with the flow.

Hi, quick question: do you know how they are going to contact us about being admitted to the program? Is it the phone call first, the email then the letter in the mail?
I remember Dr. Robertson explaining it but I was too excited and nervous so I didn't retain most of what he said!!! LOL

no phone call.

email. then fedex the following day so that your parents can hang your acceptance letter on the wall.

no phone call.

email. then fedex the following day so that your parents can hang your acceptance letter on the wall.
Does someone need to be home to sign for it then? Or will they just leave it at the front door?

Why do you really wamt this school just curious.

wait I thought the last interviews were on February 23rd...( I could be wrong)

Why do you really wamt this school just curious.

In addition to the fact that it seems like a REALLY good school, the main reason is the proximity to home. My mom is not in the best of health and sometimes does not take very good care of herself so its nice that I wont be too far from her. AND im not a big city type of girl but ill do it if i have to.

Are you from Corpus too??

In addition to the fact that it seems like a REALLY good school, the main reason is the proximity to home. My mom is not in the best of health and sometimes does not take very good care of herself so its nice that I wont be too far from her. AND im not a big city type of girl but ill do it if i have to.

Ahh I see. Yes this is the closest school. I guess I'm the only person that applied from Corpus. Still haven't met anyone from the area. Good luck!

no. im from the valley...edinburg.

Lisa,

Did you interview on the 21st? I recall someone from Corpus that drove down for 1:00 PM interview.

Good luck, and be patient!