Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I have a few questions about rotations and residency matching at this college. Can a current student please address them?

1) Where are the possible rotation sites located? I know that they briefly went over this at the interview, and I remember Round Rock being one of them, but I don't recall them all.
Corpus, Round Rock, Houston, Temple, San Antonio, Valley, College Station.

2) How do you get matched with the rotations? For instance, do students get to pick or do you get placed somewhere? And can you stay there or the whole year or are you moved around quite a lot between rotations?
You submit preferences for your region first. Once regions are assigned and finalized, you submit preferences for your rotations based on the site and type. So AmCare in Round Rock, for example. Once you've submitted your preferences, they randomize it and spin out a list of your rotations.

3) What is the residency matching rate like?
I think we have a pretty good rate, actually. I think last year we had something like 12 apply and 10 get one, maybe? Match is next month, so you'll have a better idea then.

I've heard that the IRL College of Pharmacy is geared more towards retail and less towards clinical. although I'm not sure which career path I want to take yet, I'd like to think that my chances of pursuing a clinical pharmacy career will not be jeopardized if I attend this school..
:uhno:

How would the school be "geared" toward retail? I think PharmD programs in general are inherently clinical. I am pursuing a residency, and I do not believe the school is retail-oriented, or even residency-oriented. I think it's producing pharmacists with clinical skills who can practice in a wide variety of settings.

OH and I had another question, not related to rotations/residencies - Where do students usually eat? Are there any cafes/cafeterias/restaurants on campus?

Thanks a bunch!
There's a Student Union Building with some fast food options. The library across the street sells sandwiches, sushi, and yogurt. There's a Starbucks in the Union.

The Mexican food place is close enough that you can finish an exam, go buy tacos and eat them, and still be back before the first lecture starts.

Members don't see this ad.

The p1 and p2 students said during our tour was that you have to travel every weekend to other cities like houston which is 3 or 4 hours away and austin which is also 3.5 hours away. Including driving there and back, that's 7/8 hours of driving every weekend. If I'm wrong, can a current student explain how this works?

Corpus, Round Rock, Houston, Temple, San Antonio, Valley, College Station.

You submit preferences for your region first. Once regions are assigned and finalized, you submit preferences for your rotations based on the site and type. So AmCare in Round Rock, for example. Once you've submitted your preferences, they randomize it and spin out a list of your rotations.

I think we have a pretty good rate, actually. I think last year we had something like 12 apply and 10 get one, maybe? Match is next month, so you'll have a better idea then.

:uhno:

How would the school be "geared" toward retail? I think PharmD programs in general are inherently clinical. I am pursuing a residency, and I do not believe the school is retail-oriented, or even residency-oriented. I think it's producing pharmacists with clinical skills who can practice in a wide variety of settings.

There's a Student Union Building with some fast food options. The library across the street sells sandwiches, sushi, and yogurt. There's a Starbucks in the Union.

The Mexican food place is close enough that you can finish an exam, go buy tacos and eat them, and still be back before the first lecture starts.

:thumbup: Thank you for your detail respond. It is really helpful! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of all of the schools I've interviewed at so far, Texas A & M Kingsville has been my favorite. The students were extremely nice and the Prof's that interviewed me were also great. I just had a really good feeling about this program. Really really hoping to hear from them soon. Fingers are crossed!

Out of all of the schools I've interviewed at so far, Texas A & M Kingsville has been my favorite. The students were extremely nice and the Prof's that interviewed me were also great. I just had a really good feeling about this program. Really really hoping to hear from them soon. Fingers are crossed!

I couldn't agree more with you! I fell in love with the school and felt so comfortable the whole time! Keeping my fingers crossed too! Good luck everyone! :)

I totally agree with you!! :xf:

These were my thoughts verbatim! Seriously anxious for that email on Friday :xf: or a call soon thereafter. I still have a couple other interviews left so let's see how this all pans out.

So I have a few questions about rotations and residency matching at this college. Can a current student please address them?

1) Where are the possible rotation sites located? I know that they briefly went over this at the interview, and I remember Round Rock being one of them, but I don't recall them all.

2) How do you get matched with the rotations? For instance, do students get to pick or do you get placed somewhere? And can you stay there or the whole year or are you moved around quite a lot between rotations?

3) What is the residency matching rate like? I've heard that the IRL College of Pharmacy is geared more towards retail and less towards clinical. although I'm not sure which career path I want to take yet, I'd like to think that my chances of pursuing a clinical pharmacy career will not be jeopardized if I attend this school..

OH and I had another question, not related to rotations/residencies - Where do students usually eat? Are there any cafes/cafeterias/restaurants on campus?

Thanks a bunch!
1)
For P2 Year: anywhere from Seguin, The Valley, Victoria, Corpus, Alice, Robstown if you are lucky Kingsville but the furthest it will be will be about 2 hours. You do your rotations every Friday so you have the weekend to study and do whatever work you need to do.

For P4 Year: Almost anywhere, depends on the availability, each year is a little different Temple, Round Rock, College Station, Dallas, Houston, the places can pretty much vary just about anywhere.

2)
P2 Year: You have to do 1 semester of Hospital and 1 semester of Community. so you will either be hospital or community one semester and the next semester the other.
You rank your cities and they assign you via preferences and availability .

P4 year you have to do 6 rotations Sites: Hospital, Ambulatory, Community, Gen Med, and 2 electives (which can be outside your region)
You rank the zones or regions on what you want and they send you off based on availability. Your two electives can be pretty much anywhere, but also depends on availability.

3)
I don't know where you heard that from but the school doesn't determine if you will go clinical, retail, or whatever that is your choice and up to you what you want. As for a residency It's all on you, your networking, your resume/CV, and how much you want it. I don't really know the matching rate other than it is competitive no matter where you go.

Food:
there are some places nothing fancy there is your typically fast foods: Whataburger, Wendy's, Dairy Queen, McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc.

There is a buffet cafeteria at the School and they also have Pizza Hut, Chik-Fil-A, Subway, some asian restaurant

outside of campus there is a lot of Tex-Mex, Mexican Cuisine, not much really some burger joints, sandwich shops, etc. The real food would be 30-45 mins away in Corpus Christi.

Hope that helps! :)

Glad you guys liked it!

Just remember, we're not technically TAMUK. We're going to confuse things further when TAMHSC merges with TAMU this summer. 2017 should enter as Aggies. :)

:thumbup: Yes, we are not Javelinas. I wanted to point out to you guys as you start to apply for the FASFA you are to put "Texas A&M HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER" not "Texas A&M-Kingsville" on there. :thumbup:

Also, I agree with everything pharmB said regarding the detailed questions. I don't know how we could possibly be just known for "retail pharmacy." The way our curriculum is set up is definitely more geared towards clinical than a lot of other schools.

:thumbup: Yes, we are not Javelinas. I wanted to point out to you guys as you start to apply for the FASFA you are to put "Texas A&M HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER" not "Texas A&M-Kingsville" on there. :thumbup:

Thanks for the clarification : )

Thanks for the responses to my questions! They really helped clarify things for me.

And I agree with the others, this interview made me feel really good about the school and the people there.

I liked the campus but if I get accepted into a more prestigious school that isn't in the middle of nowhere I will accept... It's a little ridiculous to have rotations hours away.. This school would be at the top of the list if it wasn't miles away from anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked the campus but if I get accepted into a more prestigious school that isn't in the middle of nowhere I will accept... It's a little ridiculous to have rotations hours away.. This school would be at the top of the list if it wasn't miles away from anything.

i agree. not looking forward to driving every weekend.

Hi everyone,
I am a long lurker and first time SDN poster. Just enjoyed reading you:). I would like to know if the admission people will go down the list (the rest of the 300 people interviewed) once the first wave of admission is submitted? or they will interview new people? I was not impressed with my interview. Though I really liked the warm welcome of the staff, faculty and students. Thanks.

Hi everyone,
I am a long lurker and first time SDN poster. Just enjoyed reading you:). I would like to know if the admission people will go down the list (the rest of the 300 people interviewed) once the first wave of admission is submitted? or they will interview new people? I was not impressed with my interview. Though I really liked the warm welcome of the staff, faculty and students. Thanks.
What do you mean you weren't impressed? As in with your responses or with their end?

From what I recall the counselors saying at the "briefing" before we split into our interviews is that the point system they have in place is intended to create a ranking system of the 300 interviewed. The first 90-100 will get 1st round acceptances and then they go down their list. I don't think they interview further because I thought the last day to interview was 2/22/13 for this app cycle.

I am a bit confused... if you weren't impressed with your interview, then why would it matter if they go down the list or interview further?

Can I just say how extremely proud we are of how well we are doing in such a short time? We have only graduated three classes and are already in the top 50, tied with the University of Houston. I am very proud of what we are doing here in "little ol' Kingsville." I feel like I can help here SO MUCH more than I would be able to in bigger cities. I have had a patient tell me that this school is the best thing that has happened here in a long time. They can more readily get healthcare screenings and education that they really need. Also, our curriculum is one that these "more prestigious" schools you are referring to (aka older) are trying to model.

In addition, we don't all have rotations "hours away." We put in our preferences for rotation sites. While we don't always get what we want, they do try to work with you. One has to keep in mind the mission of our college and the reason we were even granted accreditation to begin with. It is to serve SOUTH TEXAS and to decrease the shortage of pharmacists in the area. I am by no means from this area, but I respect that mission. Even so, our rotations are only during our P2 year (on Fridays). This gives you the opportunity to do PAID internships during the summers. They simply cannot get over 160 rotations (P2s + P4s) right around the school at the same time. It's just not possible.

I hope this helps and answers some questions/concerns.

I was not happy with my answers.I could have done better but well...

In addition, we don't all have rotations "hours away." We put in our preferences for rotation sites. While we don't always get what we want, they do try to work with you. One has to keep in mind the mission of our college and the reason we were even granted accreditation to begin with. It is to serve SOUTH TEXAS and to decrease the shortage of pharmacists in the area. I am by no means from this area, but I respect that mission. Even so, our rotations are only during our P2 year (on Fridays). This gives you the opportunity to do PAID internships during the summers. They simply cannot get over 160 rotations (P2s + P4s) right around the school at the same time. It's just not possible.

Do a lot of you guys carpool in P2 rotations? I have very little driving experience (probably will get more by the time I am P2 but still), so driving two hours every week might be a little..anxiety-provoking for me. Or are everyone's rotations at different times so that carpool is not that easy to arrange?

Where were your rotations?

Do a lot of you guys carpool in P2 rotations? I have very little driving experience (probably will get more by the time I am P2 but still), so driving two hours every week might be a little..anxiety-provoking for me. Or are everyone's rotations at different times so that carpool is not that easy to arrange?

Where were your rotations?

I am a P2 and I do know some fellow classmates who carpool. I don't carpool because my rotation site is only 10 minutes away from my apartment.

Hi everyone,
Yes they rank everyone numerically and go down the list until the class is filled

Can I just say how extremely proud we are of how well we are doing in such a short time? We have only graduated three classes and are already in the top 50, tied with the University of Houston. I am very proud of what we are doing here in "little ol' Kingsville." I feel like I can help here SO MUCH more than I would be able to in bigger cities. I have had a patient tell me that this school is the best thing that has happened here in a long time. They can more readily get healthcare screenings and education that they really need. Also, our curriculum is one that these "more prestigious" schools you are referring to (aka older) are trying to model.

I hope this helps and answers some questions/concerns.
I was not trying to offend any current students or belittle the school. I just read my post back and it does come off that way but it was not my intention. I did like the campus, faculty, and the few students that I met. I am just concerned about the commute to rotations.

I was not trying to offend any current students or belittle the school. I just read my post back and it does come off that way but it was not my intention. I did like the campus, faculty, and the few students that I met. I am just concerned about the commute to rotations.

I definitely understand the concern, I was just trying to clear some things up. :) I'm glad you liked the school. Just know that it all goes by so fast. :) I can't believe I'll be a P4 in 4 months.

Todays the day! Everytime i hear my phone get an email I freak out lol

Called A&M.

Acceptances are actually going out on Monday instead of today. :)

Last edited:
Hmm.. Is it weird that I want it to be Monday already? :/

Does anyone know how many students decline?... just as an estimate. I am just wondering because 300 interviews and only 87 spots seems like my chances are not that good lol.

Is it true that they have some bonus points? I heard something about being a technician, and being from the valley gets you some points. Does anyone know if this is true?

Is it true that they have some bonus points? I heard something about being a technician, and being from the valley gets you some points. Does anyone know if this is true?

I think a current pharmacy student mentioned before that you DO get bonus points for having a pharmacy technician license and also being a South Texas resident.

I'm excited about pharmacy school and all but I'm kind of bummed out when i hear about the job outlook for pharmacists :(

Anyone else feel the same way?

I assume their going to be sent out this afternoon? Can anyone confirm this?

I actually asked my interviewers if they considered the school more geared towards retail or clinical and they told me that the program is structured to be GENERAL so if you wish to pursue either clinical or retail, you will be well trained to do well in both.

It's evening time. I was wondering if anyone has received notice from Texas A & M yet?

Still haven't heard anything. They sure are taking their time..